Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-22-2020, 04:09 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

If I understand the Texas program it is to start isolation on the March 24, but do give that a check as it is changing constantly.
Sheltering in place in campgrounds would have a different outlook if there were no toilets to clean. Thinking of the normal everyday work it takes to keep the bathroom half way usable and then consider there is likely to be no maintenance, it does leave a different picture of how the infection control would be worked out on things like the doors, faucets, showers, etc. And as we all know, when there is nobody at a park, lots of things happen if there are folks who like to tear things up.
As I read it, some parks are closed sooner and others later and it may actually just be on how the local folks feel on any given day as their employees come in to work or not.
We've done some volunteer work at cliff dwellings and parks and it really is sad the way some damage things. If you take a walk up the steps of the capitol in Washington DC you can get an idea of the vandalism that goes on by looking at the names carved in the stone.
Going to the parks, yes! Staying overnight in the parks, no, because we can't be trusted!
Old 03-25-2020, 12:48 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

We were planning to leave in early April for a 4 - 5 week trip around the country. We now know that few places we wanted to visit will be open although finding a place for the night should be possible. The serious issue would be if one or both of us get sick (age & high risk) then what? Driving home in a rush may not be possible.

Our current plan is to let the curve flatten and then take a shorter trip in neighboring states.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:13 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

At the current time here in the Central Texas / Austin area, the food suppy situation is still being sorted out as the state has been really slow to ramp up and things are only now gradually beginning to close. Each city and county has set their own schedule for closing down and allowing only the required services, so the methods and how to do things like get food are still evolving.
Our food supply is good for present but we don't want to run it down too far as things get worse, so we had made a list of what we normally would want to buy and went online to try to order for delivery or for local pickup to avoid being in contact as much as possible.
The two main grocery stores in this area are HEB and Wal-mart, so we are closer to Wal-mart and started there but soon ran into problems with no stock on about half of our list as well as they are currently only setting appointments for pickup for two days out and all slots are reserved. That left us going to the HEB site and finding a different approach as they are showing stock on all items but also not scheduling for sooner than a week out. Which brings the question of how much of the list they actually have versus how much they are hoping comes in by truck in the weeks delay.
Were were able to buy a small deep freezer by going over about forty miles West and taking the last one off the shelf and accepting some scratches and dings.
Would not want to be out on the road in our RV with the limited storage and dubious supply situation.
Assuming the estimates as being somewhat close and trucking such a vital component of shopping, the obvious outlook for food supply is not good. You can't just drum up a truck driver overnight and if there are 40% of them lost due to illness, the shelves are not getting full any time soon.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:18 PM   #24
Site Team

Richard, didn't realize you were near us. I see you're in Pflugerville. We're in Spring Branch which is about 20 miles south of Blanco on Hwy 281. 20 miles north of San Antonio.

Have you been to your HEB? Ours is sold out of really all staples except milk. No eggs, breads, rice, beans, cheese, chicken, pork, beef, and the list goes on.

Plenty of beer and wine. Lots of chips. No real food.

And, they have gone to making folks line up and only letting a few go in when a few others come out.

You can order for pickup in a week. But they tell you - don't count on getting everything on your list.

I'm headed to HEB in the next 10 mins. I'll let you know how it is today. It changes every day.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:30 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

H-E-B in Cypress, TX

Here in northwest Houston the H-E-B line is long at opening time 8:00AM and moved reasonably fast. 30 minutes earlier at Kroger no lines and few people in the store. Kroger meat market shut down. I got the last 2 rolls of off brand paper towels. Thought I was in a end of times movie.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	065565B5-DC03-419C-99E3-7CB7BBFCF18C.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	173115  
Old 03-25-2020, 04:34 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

I'm 68. I just drove from the Texas Gulf Coast to Wisconsin about 5 days ago. It was really quite easy to stay more than 6' away from any face-to-face contacts. We used a card at the pump for gas, did drive-through or had delivery at the hotel room at night, and occasionally went into the gas station to use the rest room. People were very aware, all wearing gloves and I wore a mask. We also went through about a quart of hand sanitizer. I think you let yourself get scared by all the hysteria. Yes, it's dangerous. No, it's not at all easy to catch. As it was, we were able to stop at three different Walmarts to stock up on groceries so we could self-quarantine for 2 weeks when we got back.

I guess I'm saying that you could have done the trip safely with just a few simple precautions.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:40 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

No Go Here...

We were supposed to leave tomorrow - with our brand new Toyota Tacoma - to pick up our brand new 2108DS Minnie Winnie where it spent the winter at the dealership. We're not going. The Canadian gov't is advising that everyone stay in their house as much as possible. Sigh... this was to be our year of travel. Now I hope we all live through it, let alone go anywhere!
Old 03-25-2020, 04:41 PM   #28
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Looks like our trip to Alaska this summer is all but gone. Who knows when Canada will reopen the border? Beyond that, I'm being delayed in getting things done here at home to prepare myself (health checks) and the house (for sale) prior to traveling. One thing in my favor is that my submarine reunion has been cancelled, freeing up some time for me in May. Everything seems to have been turned up-side-down. Hopeful to the end, we will not be cancelling the reservations in AK until the last minute.

Let's all just hope and pray that life will get back to somewhat normal in a month or two with minimal loss of our loved ones.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:49 PM   #29
Site Team

Surprise! Our local HEB had no lines, not even at check out and was about half again full of food that they haven't had for 10 days. I actually got everything on my list and some stuff I had not been able to get the past two times I went to the store.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:52 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Here in the San Antonio area our local HEB is better stocked than our local Walmart. (NE San Antonio area) What I am seeing is that there is plenty of "food". The canned or packaged food may not be exactly what you wanted to buy, so it is best if you are flexible.
In our HEB there is a very good supply of fresh veggies, but the meat shelves are pretty limited. Keep in mind I have not gone at 8am when they open. They say they are stocking the shelves overnight, so maybe the selections would be better if I went early.
I would say being "flexible" in your product selection is new normal.

Went to Home Depot for some stuff for home project. They were only allowing a max of 100 customers in the store at a time. Had to wait about 5 minutes to get in the store. Glad they are doing this, it allow us to be separate from others.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:01 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden13 View Post
... and I wore a mask. I think you let yourself get scared by all the hysteria.
Hopefully by now you've heard all the CDC and WHO advice about not wearing masks if you are not sick and how it won't protect you from the Virus. Unfortunately, lots of folks have not gotten this message and there is a huge shortage making it tougher for doctors, nurses and hospitals to get enough.

This is from the World Health Organization:

Old 03-25-2020, 05:11 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Like many others ... it looks like we will also be cancelling our April and May trips for the same reasons many of you listed.

Bummed but I know we'll get back out when the time is right.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:13 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightUR View Post
Hmm, We're thinking about going "out" next week or the week after that. the CG's we go to offer sufficient space, as far as social distancing is concerned, between rigs. When we park next to a rig there is usually 15 ft from their door to our door, with the rig in between. Also most parks we go to are usually 1/2 empty. I don't know why. It just happens that way. LOL. Anyway, we're just waiting for better weather, that's why we didn't leave yet.
My advice is not to plan going any place at all until after the pandemic peaks and deaths diminish. For most of RVers who are older this is an existential threat. You have a very good chance of dying if you leave home now and get sick on then road. And worse, ending up going to a hospital away from your family and friends, not to mention your own doctor!
Old 03-25-2020, 05:24 PM   #34
Intent 30r 2019

We are continuing to plan on taking our summer trip, June through September. Our annual get away from the Florida summer heat. We always end up in Central Wisconsin.

Supplies continue to be a real concern as the stores here in Central Florida are close to apocalyptic with paper goods, milk and eggs.

The peak of infections should be within the next couple of weeks and if people do what they should be be doing the virus should start to "burn" itself out six to eight weeks after.

For us I think the issue will be what will be open between here and Wisconsin and will the supply chain be stable at that point.

We are trying to keep a positive attitude that we will be able to go, but the most important thing is for all of us to keep safe!

So where and when you are planning to go, be intelligent about it!
Old 03-25-2020, 06:50 PM   #35
Winnebago Master

With Cities, Counties and States placing Stay At Home or Shelter In Place Orders for now its Don't Go.

I live in Florida where our biggest risk is mostly from Tourists. Thankfully Disney Shut Down Everything from resorts, affiliated theme parks, eateries and stores which cut down on the importing of COVID19 to a great degree however we still have way to many crowding in here trying to escape especially from New York and other hard stricken areas.

If you come to Florida right now you will find all clubs and bars in the state closed at least until mid April and all restaurants limited to half capacity with the tables moved 6 feet apart. In Pinellas county where I live all beaches are closed until further notice and barricaded. Clearwater beach has police patrolling the sand to ensure compliance. The county also put into effect a Stay at Home Order effective the morning of March 26th. Groups of more than 9 people are also prohibited at this time.

Until the COVID19 crisis is officially declared over please plan to stay where you currently are or if possible go home and shelter in place.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:55 PM   #36
Aspect 30J

Go or No Go

Congratulations on reaching another milestone on this magic road of LIFE !

Sorry that my congrats are a little late in being offered.

Staying home was not such a bad idea after seeing your initial log was on 3-13 and the way this crazy virus is playing out.

Tomorrow will always be a better day !

MovingMann
Old 03-25-2020, 09:39 PM   #37
Winnebago Master

What so many are missing is any thought of what they are doing to other people. We tend to think of things that effect us sooner than thinking of what it does to other people.
So looking at driving from some spot like New orleans to Wisconsin seem that we can make it and we don't feel sick. But the odds of us meeting somebody with the disease while in New Orleans and doing the party was really good but we don't know we now have it until 10-14 days pass. So while we drive up the road, use the gas pumps, use the door handles and flush the stool, we are passing the disease on to anybody who comes along and forgets to protect themselves from the contamination.
You can't see it and you may not feel it for a week or more but once exposed and infected, you are a rolling, ticking, time bomb for anybody so unlucky as to cross your path.
And then you get home and meet all your friends with hugs and kisses, right?
We got enough problems without somebody else coming to town!
STAY WHERE YOU ARE!
Old 03-25-2020, 10:01 PM   #38
Winnebago Owner

Human nature's natural response to this pandemic is "It can't happen to me". Sure, you might be able to keep away from people when you are camped, but what about along the way? As a motorhome owner you should well know that our rigs can and do break down, have flat tires and are huge consumers of fuel. Our present situation isn't what it might be a week, two weeks, three weeks and so on. Will free travel be allowed, will certain areas be quarantined? If you break down or have tire trouble, will there be anyone to come to your aid and help you? Will fuel and food be readily available along your route? In Prescott, AZ our local stores have a lot of empty shelves, with the staples not being available unless you are there when they stock the shelves. In an area you don't know, what will you be able to find? Rest areas are being closed, along with headlines like this: "National Forest Campgrounds, Picnic Areas Close Across Arizona" doesn't sound good to me. If you have a health issue, get injured, or come down with Covid-19, do want to be in an overloaded hospital, stretched to its limits far away from home? Or a small rural hospital with few services? Do you want to put your wife in that situation? If your health is already compromised, or you're unable to walk more than a few blocks, why would you even consider leaving home?

This is much more than a nasty version of the flu! It is twice as contagious and the death rate in the US is 2.7% for those from 65 to 76 and higher for those with underlying health conditions. The death rate for the annual flu is 0.09% for all ages, so there is a great difference between this and the flu. Also 80% of US deaths are among those 65 and older. You can be vaccinated for the flu, but there is no vaccine for the Covid-19 virus.

Last summer we did a nine week, 7000 mile trip from Prescott, Arizona to Port Angeles,Washington and as far east to Minneapolis, Minnesota, before heading back to Arizona. Those memories will get me through this year until we can do it again.

I am a healthy 67 year old that does all my own mechanical work, and I have a long history of calculated risk taking (like racing motorcycles) and I WOULDN'T RISK TRAVELLING ANYWHERE TODAY! Wise up people, don't be selfish, stay home and don't be a burden to our fellow citizens, first responders and medical staff! STAY HOME unless you want to test Darwin's Law of natural selection!
Old 03-25-2020, 11:31 PM   #39
Yonder

Well, we're in Palm Springs CA area and headed to AZ tomorrow. Been gone from home in MT for four weeks. Need to get the coach serviced and then quietly mind our business a few more weeks to let things warm a bit more before heading home. I have respect for the many aspects and dangers of this situation but I refuse to eat the pablum of hysteria. I'll keep my distance, wash my hands, drink a beer and smoke a cigar. We've got 3 or 4 weeks of supplies on board so we'll not be depriving any communities we pass through. Might go to Grand Canyon to have a look see. We don't go to NPs for the visitor center but to see God's creation so we don't care that its closed. Oh, and we brought all the TP we need when we left home.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:16 AM   #40
Winnebago Camper

Gulf Coast

We are Winter Texans and ended our stay on the beach early this year because stores were running out of food. It’s been like that since the first cases came to San Antonio. Had to get 100 miles into OK before we saw Walmarts with fresh meat. We are full time RV’ers and changed all our travel plans 3 weeks ago. We are elderly and decided it better to be close to family during this crisis. Wouldn’t want our children to have to drive 1000 miles to come get us, if it came to that.