Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2020, 07:49 AM   #41
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonder View Post
Well, we're in Palm Springs CA area and headed to AZ tomorrow. Been gone from home in MT for four weeks. Need to get the coach serviced and then quietly mind our business a few more weeks to let things warm a bit more before heading home. I have respect for the many aspects and dangers of this situation but I refuse to eat the pablum of hysteria. I'll keep my distance, wash my hands, drink a beer and smoke a cigar. We've got 3 or 4 weeks of supplies on board so we'll not be depriving any communities we pass through. Might go to Grand Canyon to have a look see. We don't go to NPs for the visitor center but to see God's creation so we don't care that its closed. Oh, and we brought all the TP we need when we left home.
Combo of arrogance and ignorance? Or is it simple old "me-first" thinking?
Do you want the next step to be each state closing the border? Mississippi governor has now declared that he is in charge and cities in HIS state can't close! Where does that leave your silly selfish plan if you get caught in a closed state? Once the wide open states actual find what they are facing, things WILL change even more. A virus really doesn't care what the politics in your state might be.
The virus is only looking for an opportunity to find a host and so far you are a volunteer. Good luck to you but do stay the hell out of my neighborhood.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:12 AM   #42
Yonder

Question, Morich? What would you have me do differently? What does it matter if I'm in my motorhome 'wherever' or in my S&B in Montana? I am following the 6' rule. So, I'm curious what you think is wrong with my behavior?
Old 03-26-2020, 08:30 AM   #43
Winnebago Master

This may change your mind: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f92/camp...ml#post5199968
Old 03-26-2020, 10:07 AM   #44
Site Team

MODERATOR NOTICE!

I need to remind folks to be good to one another. It's great to say what YOU think and what YOU are doing but never good to tell others that they, personally, are wrong or bad.

When you personalize your response to another member's opinions because they do not align with yours you've gone off the rails and it's a good time to step away from the computer and go chill out for a while.

Yes, it's vital that everyone understand that life is not just about them and that they, too, are their brother's keeper. But we won't all get there telling others how wrong they are.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:51 AM   #45
04 Journey since 09-17

Again. HAPPY 70!
We just decided yesterday to cancel a meandering 8 week trip from SC to Phoenix to Rockies and back. Too much uncertainty about the virus, trip enjoyment, and especially healthcare on the road. Naturally states that feel their strong actions are working will be concerned about intrastate visitors. Our SC governor just announced an order for new state arrivals staying more than 2 nights to self quarantine - does not sound like an enjoyable tourist visit.
Above being said we are still hoping to go April 6 for a 2week trip to an SC beach park. Will have to go to the seafood market and fry my own fish.

Travel Dogs 2
Old 03-26-2020, 11:03 AM   #46
Site Team

On another RV site I read about a guy that had a trip planned last week and they decided to go. After all he reasoned, with this lifestyle you can stay away from people.

First day, he had trouble with picking up a few supplies they forgot and getting fuel presented a few problems with locked doors. The Pumps worked that's all.

Day two he broke down on the highway and had a really tough time getting a tow but made it to a truck stop. Then he couldn't find a repair person that would work on his RV. Places were closed, but those that were not were overbooked.

He posted that by day 4 he got his RV running properly and they were heading out -- to go back home. He said it sounded like it would work but it just wouldn't work out the way he planned.

I can't remember which site I read the post on, or I'd post a link to it.

It's human nature to think everything will go right and that you can deal with everything that comes up. But, it's not so. Things don't always go according to plan.

One more thing to consider - Let's say you're at home and your spouse, child, whomever starts getting sick. You think it "may" be COVID-19 but you don't know. Now you're worried. At home you know who to call, what to do, were to take them if they suddenly worsen. You probably have a family doctor.

But move 287 miles from home, in a town 1/10th the size of your town, who do you call? Where do you go? Who are the doctors? Where is the closest ER?
Old 03-26-2020, 02:52 PM   #47
Winnebago Owner

Yonder, I don't know if you have gotten to the Grand Canyon yet but when I checked the Mather Campground there last night, all the motorhome sites were full. The campsite office is closed so you have to do everything online. There looks to be some smaller trailer sites left so if you get there you might not find anything big enough for your rig unless you look at each one individually. I was surprised to see it that full this time of year but I think all the snowbirds are in a mass migration back north at once like you are. We really are just starting into the Covid-19 thing out west but there is no doubt it will arrive, with the peak infections in Arizona estimated for mid April and peak hospitalizations for mid May. There is no way of knowing if travel may be restricted eventually so it may be prudent to get back to Montana. Your route north is in the boonies and it misses any big population centers so that's good. Good Luck!
Old 03-26-2020, 06:30 PM   #48
Winnebago Master

The reason for me to be so firm on recommending we each stay where we are is pretty simple. Where you are may or may not be ramped up and testing and it takes 10-14 days for a person to know he is sick. So what happens is the person who is sick has no concerns about it and moves across the country and as he goes, leaves a trail of potential infection on all the surfaces he touches. It's pretty much the same reason we are told not to move wood around the country. Except it is prone to killing people rather than trees.
Looking at New Orleans, it doesn't take much to see why they are in the big trouble as they are now getting the results of Mardi Gra parties. If there is enough travel and the infection spreads to all the state, we may actually see far more drastic action like Florida and Texas are taking.
When we are sick and before we show signs, we are like a drippy bucket and it's far better if we don't carry that bucket all over.
Things can and will certainly get far worse that us just having to skip some camping. When a red state like Florida has the nat guard called out to QT arrivals from the Northeast, we are running way close to a really bad failure.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:47 PM   #49
Site Team

Richard, I think we get it - most of us anyway. But you have to know on a public forum it's not appropriate to chastise people personally. Only advise and recommend.

People are going to do what they do and we may wish they did differently. But all we can do is state facts and hope that folks hear those facts and respond appropriately.

Beyond that... there is nothing more that can be done on a forum.

I think everyone that is trying to minimize the current situation is going to be SHOCKED when they see how bad things get. But individually we can only know when we know it. And, certainly there are many voices telling people it's no big deal.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:27 AM   #50
Winnebago Master

We were in the forth week of a six week trip with my cousin and his Wife following in their fifth wheel, when this Corona Virus thing got ramped up. I suggested that we head home only to have to argue my point with the others. My Wife actually accused me of being frightened. Well, I guess I was to an extent. I was concerned at least. We were at the Grand Canyon and the Visitor Center was closing down along with many businesses.

I prevailed and we headed home.

All the way home businesses were closing along with parks and tourist attractions. There was not much left to do anyway.

None of us was sick and we reasoned that if we were to contract the virus it would be better to be home, than on the road. Most cases do not require hospitalization and recover at home.

It took four days to get home, but we are glad to be here.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:02 AM   #51
Winnebago Master

I had a dream last night that I was at a lake, and they were needing to do some work on it (weeds, pollution, etc.). I was talking to a scientist who was taking water samples and accidentally walked to close to him. So social distancing has entered my dreams!
Old 03-27-2020, 09:15 AM   #52
Winnebago Master

I tend to be a bit more irritated on the question of social distance as I now have nearby personal experience with the folly of not following the rules.
We have neighbors who do things like take care of our pets and fish tanks when we travel and we do the same for them, even though they have some ideas which we consider pretty extreme. We're good neighbors and it works---most of the time.
They were in New York for a wedding, just bad timing. But then when they got home, they decided to have a party as their son happened to be nearby at the time. Nobody sick so they had the party a few days after they got home, even though an EMS daughter and an inlaw nurse did not come.
Great time had by all and the son left as he is a public relations guy for a touring band.
The result is the son is now in a resort town in Mexico with a suspect fever requiring QT, the father is on a ventilator and not likely to survive due to a really big weight problem!
He huffs and puffs on the best of days.
Yes, I do get irritable when I see people ignoring the medical advise and doing the social distance thing!
Today's report from the Austin news is that at the current rate and amount of social distance being done, we will exceed the hospital capacity in April. If it's possible to reduce the current spread by 70% we can put off the death blow until May but if folks would actually take it serious and cut the spread by 90%, we might get into July before we run out of hospital space and we "might" also be able to get the gear needed in time to save 1800 lives!
Old 03-27-2020, 09:21 AM   #53
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I tend to be a bit more irritated on the question of social distance as I now have nearby personal experience with the folly of not following the rules.
Our neighbors are quite social with gatherings. We no longer join in. They don't seem to understand the concept of social distancing with three or four families joining together in relatively close spaces. I consider them just as high risk as the person who is a cashier at the store, only they are doing it for no valid reason.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:05 PM   #54
Winnebago Master

Like the kid on spring break, not thinking about the total picture is what we have to stop. When he said it didn't bother him that he might get the virus, he was not thinking that he was also committing to potentially letting his parents, grandparents and neighbors get it also.
Apparently somebody jerked him up short and explained it once he got home. He has since offer his apologies but by then how many other folks had he infected/exposed? Looking at charts shows that the Northern, less high traffic areas don't yet have a major problem that is killing people.
But isn't that just a matter of time as folks are still driving through the infected areas and into those "safe" areas? I would like to trek out from Texas to California to see family, but how do I ever excuse myself if I expose my grandchildren and possibly kill somebody?
Some people seem to get it but there are still herds of people in the parks, jogging in groups and playing basketball.
We wear plastic gloves when we have to go out to shop, throw them away when done and put the groceries into a one week QT to try to prevent it in our house, but we still find ourselves doing things sightly wrong. Things like washing bananas in soap and water before peeling them? Habits like that are hard but we have to start practice BEFORE just like one would do in war games.
We play like we practice and if we don't practice, we get clobbered!
Old 03-27-2020, 03:39 PM   #55
Minnie Winnie 26A

BLM land, all alone

We are currently camped out on BLM land about 100 miles from home. Closest human I have seen is 100 yards. We can last about 2 weeks with what we carry. We could be home in our Jeep in 2 hours if required. During the day we hike or bike ride or read or work on a jigsaw puzzle. Are we safer here? Without a doubt! Do I know what I'm talking about? Probably do, since my wife is a retired doctor with advance degrees in Epidemiology. She has spent decades chasing diseases like this for the Feds. Camping here was her recommendation on what we could do to be safe. When we were home too hard to avoid human contact. Even hiking at home was too crowded and there were too many people not following 6 foot of space rule. By the way, she says although this is bad, but will be much improved within 6 weeks if not sooner. Stay safe everyone, there is light at the end of the tunnel. (no, its NOT the train light)
Old 03-27-2020, 06:04 PM   #56
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKowal1 View Post
We are currently camped out on BLM land about 100 miles from home. Closest human I have seen is 100 yards.

Stay safe everyone, there is light at the end of the tunnel. (no, its NOT the train light)
I'm not far from you, in Thermal, CA at an RV park, full hookups, $600/mo.

On Mar 9 we returned home from a 3wk trip through AZ and NM, including Grand Canyon March 4th and 5th. During this trip I picked up a cough around Feb28th, thinking oh great, I have it. We had been careful with isolation and washing hands more starting about Feb 20th, but then I get this cough. Nothing else developed, no fever, congestion, aches, feel pretty good otherwise. So we return home a few days early, primarily due to poor weather forecast. I got the covid19 test Mar 12th and it came back negative on the 17th, thankfully. But during that waiting period we isolated ourselves in the house, just to make sure. After the negative results we made our decision to leave in the RV on the 21st.

Our son, his wife and our two grandkids live with us in Orange Country, CA. After talking with the doctor about my cough, and what's going on, he suggested we take the RV out away from the family, away from high population OC, and camp in an area with less people and do our best to isolate ourselves. So we drove 130mi East to Thermal, CA near the Salton Sea. The RV park here is pretty isolated, in the middle of farm land. Nearest town is 15mi away. They have closed all public areas in the RV park, and have developed a sanitizing method for all mail. It gets hand delivered to our RV. Other than mail, we can easily distance ourselves from all others, but we still talk with neighbors from a distance. We have our own method of sanitizing the limited mail we get here. We'll be here a month when hopefully this might be over.

Our reason for leaving home was to protect the grandkids. Reducing the number of adults from 4 to 2 reduced the risk 50% of bringing the virus into the house. The shoe policy changed, everyone leaves their shoes outside when returning from the store. And when we leave the house the shoe soles get sanitized in the garage after returning. The goal is to mitigate the virus getting on the floors inside the house, rugs, etc. Since the 2 and 4yr old grand kids don't understand, and they play on the floors, things have to be sterile, as best possible, so reducing the adults in the house seemed to be the most logical plan, since we could easily pick up and leave in the RV for a nearby RV park.

So far it's been pretty easy to distance ourselves. I only messed up once when a friendly dog came over to me and I petted him for about a second, then realize I shouldn't. The weather here has been perfect, 70s and a slight breeze. It's going to warm up to the 80s next week, and likely be in the 90's before we leave April 21. So far we're happy with our decision, it's working out. We Facetime with the gKids a couple times a week.

We see lots of people out hiking and biking in the surrounding areas, staying their distance from others. You have to be careful to not touch anything like handrails, door handles, etc. Latex gloves are seen quite a bit in public places like stores, gas stations, etc. We've explored a few hiking and biking areas in the desert, but limit this to about twice a week. We have a routine down with latex gloves, antiseptic wipes, sanitizing sprays. I think we've got it down to be safe and isolated, with adequate entertainment (laptop, good internet, dishnetwork TV, books). The nearest Costco is 35min away, our primary source for all food and drink.

Glad we could leave the hussle and bussle of OC and come out to the desert where things are a bit slower and less populated.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:38 AM   #57
Winnebago Master

The plan you have spelled out sounds very good and it is based on thought as to the safety of your family. Thinking before acting is one of the best things we should use our brains on! Going a short distance and avoiding contact is one thing, while going out to drive 500-1000 miles is quite another!
With China seeing a second round of the virus coming again, I don't feel like we can expect to be clear anytime this summer. New York and California may be reaching the peak in the next weeks but allowing for a month or more to retreat there still leaves several months for those states which are slower for it to progress. If the Northern, less populated areas, are a month late in the virus spread, I would also assume they will also be late in it clearing. Much will depend if those who have had it once will be safe on a second exposure.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:04 PM   #58
Winnebago Master

Canada just closed all its national parks, sites, marine conservation areas yesterday or today. I received the email today.

Washington State parks have been shut for a few days.

Montana seems to be up and running.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:05 PM   #59
Winnebago Master

Oh, one other thing. One state is pulling over people with NY license plates to make sure they self-quarantine.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:42 PM   #60
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
The plan you have spelled out sounds very good and it is based on thought as to the safety of your family. Thinking before acting is one of the best things we should use our brains on! Going a short distance and avoiding contact is one thing, while going out to drive 500-1000 miles is quite another!
With China seeing a second round of the virus coming again, I don't feel like we can expect to be clear anytime this summer. New York and California may be reaching the peak in the next weeks but allowing for a month or more to retreat there still leaves several months for those states which are slower for it to progress. If the Northern, less populated areas, are a month late in the virus spread, I would also assume they will also be late in it clearing. Much will depend if those who have had it once will be safe on a second exposure.
Please supply some links to articles about your statement: "With China seeing a second round of the virus coming again". I must have missed the news reports about this and would like to read more details.