Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2020, 02:14 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Encore Resorts Keeping All Deposits

Yep, I fully understood the deposit rules at the Mesa Spirit Resort when I booked a site last month, for arrival next week.

BUT Mesa Spirit Resort has closed all the pools and amenities, and to add to the problem, my state is under a "do not travel" order.

Arizona in March without a pool? And no courts nor clubhouses? No showers?
What are we supposed to do, sit in the rig?

BAD decision on Encore's part. Keep my deposit money, it's the last you will ever get...
Old 03-22-2020, 02:38 PM   #2
Living The Dream

Looks as though a cancellation before 7 days of arrival results in only a $25 admin fee.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:46 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Looks as though a cancellation before 7 days of arrival results in only a $25 admin fee.
Nope, they kept the first day's rent, which is all they had - no sweet talking with them worked. I don't usually - never - post negative, but this bugged me...
Old 03-22-2020, 02:55 PM   #4
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
Nope, they kept the first day's rent, which is all they had - no sweet talking with them worked. I don't usually - never - post negative, but this bugged me...
Did you wait too long and cancel with less than 7 days of arrival?
Old 03-22-2020, 07:18 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

No, eight days out
Old 03-22-2020, 10:30 PM   #6
Site Team

Rotten! It’s good you posted this. I hope you’ll post at other RV forums and their Facebook, Twitter and Instagram sites as well this needs to get out.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:59 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Rotten! It’s good you posted this. I hope you’ll post at other RV forums and their Facebook, Twitter and Instagram sites as well this needs to get out.
I will. Interesting, as soon as I post this problem to the Encore Facebook page, it gets deleted with a minute or so... with no explanation.

Only happy news allowed for the Encore Facebook!
Old 03-23-2020, 01:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Well guys:
I'm actually locked in Europe and you cannot imagine what is possible: You cannot buy flowers, tools, games, computers etc. They even closed the clothing department in the supermarkets. So no underware or socks since 3 weeks and I have to wash every third day my clothes; by hand..... But lucky me I can sleep and work at our European office, I have power and talk to my family via Skype, there is a fridge, a bathroom and sleeping room. I can go out buying food at the supermarket across the street, I can go for a walk too, and actually it's sunny (but cold, 30F) weather.

Food, toilet paper, soap, pharmacy, alcohol, cigarettes, pet food, water and gas/diesel. That's all you get (well that's much more than people had in WWII). All hotels, bars, pools, operas, campgrounds and ski-stations etc. are closed = everything where more than 1 person per 100sqft could be. The public transport system very reduced. At several big cities like Paris, Milano or Rome, you have to stay in your appartment or you will stay up to 3 years in prison.

So for my enterprise it's a big loss this year (I still pay the salaries, we will survive that) as it will be for a lot of Hotels, Resorts, Airlines, etc. too.

Just have look at the website of the National Parks like Yosemite etc. they will not open until the pandemic is over, even you've done your reservation.

BMW shot down the whole production in Germany, Ferrari, Fiat, in Italy, Volkswagen, Mercedes, Volvo reduced down to 20%.

In Italy they have a mortal rate of over 12% with almost 4000 deaths in 3 weeks, mostly elderly (65+) and sick persons (comparing to influenca where the mortal rate is about 0.1%).

Another five weeks... and hope that it will be over then and not worse!

Instead of posting negative, we should look forward and hope that we get off with a slap on the wrist.

My advice: Keep calm and drink champagne! Best thing you can do!
Old 03-23-2020, 07:37 AM   #9
Living The Dream

Rather than posting on various online sites that you got ripped off, I think you should keep taking your issue up the the next levels within Encore ... if in fact you are due a refund, then go to work to get it. I’d be real sure of the day count (8 vs 7), and of all their policies, then become the squeaky wheel if you are supposed to get money back.

The pleasure of posting negative reviews fades long before the elation of getting what’s due.

JMHO ... YMMV
Old 03-23-2020, 08:04 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_calva View Post
Well guys:
I'm actually locked in Europe and you cannot imagine what is possible: You cannot buy flowers, tools, games, computers etc. They even closed the clothing department in the supermarkets. So no underware or socks since 3 weeks and I have to wash every third day my clothes; by hand..... But lucky me I can sleep and work at our European office, I have power and talk to my family via Skype, there is a fridge, a bathroom and sleeping room. I can go out buying food at the supermarket across the street, I can go for a walk too, and actually it's sunny (but cold, 30F) weather.

Food, toilet paper, soap, pharmacy, alcohol, cigarettes, pet food, water and gas/diesel. That's all you get (well that's much more than people had in WWII). All hotels, bars, pools, operas, campgrounds and ski-stations etc. are closed = everything where more than 1 person per 100sqft could be. The public transport system very reduced. At several big cities like Paris, Milano or Rome, you have to stay in your appartment or you will stay up to 3 years in prison.

So for my enterprise it's a big loss this year (I still pay the salaries, we will survive that) as it will be for a lot of Hotels, Resorts, Airlines, etc. too.

Just have look at the website of the National Parks like Yosemite etc. they will not open until the pandemic is over, even you've done your reservation.

BMW shot down the whole production in Germany, Ferrari, Fiat, in Italy, Volkswagen, Mercedes, Volvo reduced down to 20%.

In Italy they have a mortal rate of over 12% with almost 4000 deaths in 3 weeks, mostly elderly (65+) and sick persons (comparing to influenca where the mortal rate is about 0.1%).

Another five weeks... and hope that it will be over then and not worse!

Instead of posting negative, we should look forward and hope that we get off with a slap on the wrist.

My advice: Keep calm and drink champagne! Best thing you can do!
Add to this that some doctors are now reporting they will no longer treat those over 60 in Italy!
Old 03-23-2020, 10:21 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Rather than posting on various online sites that you got ripped off, I think you should keep taking your issue up the the next levels within Encore ... if in fact you are due a refund, then go to work to get it. I’d be real sure of the day count (8 vs 7), and of all their policies, then become the squeaky wheel if you are supposed to get money back.

The pleasure of posting negative reviews fades long before the elation of getting what’s due.

JMHO ... YMMV
I appreciate your comments. I kind of regret posting a negative review - not something I have ever done, and certainly not pleasurable, since about half of the readers slammed me.

Encore management has isolated themselves from contact - no email, no phone number other than the reservation clerks, that I could find.

Anyway, I should have just voted with my feet, rather than post.

Thanks
Old 03-23-2020, 10:45 AM   #12
Living The Dream

Quote:
I appreciate your comments. I kind of regret posting a negative review - not something I have ever done, and certainly not pleasurable, since about half of the readers slammed me.

Encore management has isolated themselves from contact - no email, no phone number other than the reservation clerks, that I could find.

Thanks
You betcha! All that was just my opinion, which I’m sure you know. I suggest you save all of the details and follow up later when you’re able to reach someone. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:56 PM   #13
Site Team

Ordinarily, I'd say a complaint thread for such an issue is not a good idea. But in light of the fact that just about every one else is waiving such deposit fees due to the ongoing Covid-19 issue that I think bringing this to light is the right thing to do.

We were supposed to leave last Wed for a 6 day trip to the coast. 2-night in a State Park and 4-nights in an exclusive owner's Resort. Both have cancellation fees normally and both waived the fees due to the Covid-19 travel issues. And we cancelled on the day we were to leave.

My daughter had prepaid for airfare and an international tour of a country in Asia. They refunded EVERYTHING - all payments in full due to the virus issues. Even the airline refunded 100% of the ticket cost.

Shame on Encore Resorts for not doing the right thing. I still say they deserve public condemnation for this action.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:04 PM   #14
RVCalypso

danhanna

I am glad you posted. If nothing else it reminds us to read the fine print.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:18 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurroz View Post
I am glad you posted. If nothing else it reminds us to read the fine print.
In this instance, it is reported Encore is not following their own policies they published in their small print. (Cancellation at 8 days should have triggered a refund of all but $25, not forfeiture of the entire deposit)

This is the most important lesson to learn about Encore. If the business will not follow the rules they wrote for themselves, why should anyone trust them with anything?
Old 03-24-2020, 07:26 AM   #16
Living The Dream

Quote:
... snip ...I kind of regret posting a negative review - not something I have ever done, and certainly not pleasurable, since about half of the readers slammed me.
... snip ...

Thanks
Your parallel post on iRV2 has a bit different sentiment.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:11 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Thanks
This virus thing transcends traditional policies, and companies that choose to hide behind rules for cancellations AFTER making changes to their own sites is just wrong and bad business. Good on you for posting the information
Old 03-29-2020, 04:44 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Exclamation In this together

We are in unprecedented times and we should ALL work together.
Name and shame those people, places and businesses that feel they don’t need to.
I know I won’t use encore should the option become available in the future.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:26 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Thanks for letting us know that Encore is not a company to ever do business with. Their actions tell me that.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Old 03-29-2020, 05:35 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

If you bought a special reduced rate with a larger penalty for canceling it's a gamble you made. If this virus problem would not happened you would of been enjoying a great resort at a lower price then others there because you gambled and they did not.