Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2021, 12:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Covid Vaccinations

We received or first shots on Jan 4th (Moderna) and are scheduled for the 2nd shots on Feb 1st. I had not reactions to the shot. DW had a mild sore arm for the day.

Not a bad deal at all. GO FOR IT.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Would I be correct in guessing you might be in the Houston or suburbs area?
In the Austin area, the program seems to be changing hourly and not all the info seems to say the same thing. Our normal provider had initially been told they would get vaccine on a schedule and we would be advised when they finished the shots for in house but now they are told that they are not to be a provider and they advice to get on any schedule we can manage. But that is a total mindbender as there is no change to any of the sites we have logged into to try to get scheduled. The suburb Lake Travis ISD has announced the school personnel will be given shots but the Austin ISD has none.
We would like to see our son in law get one of the first he can as he is required to be onsite due to teaching special ed and his wife is still doing radiation treatments.
My wife and I certainly qualify as group 1B but we can stay isolated but since the state is requiring our SIL to show up, we would like to see him get his sooner, rather than later.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:09 PM   #3
Site Team

We're in Tucson for the month. Arizona has lowered the 1B age qualifications to 65 and I'll turn 71 in March... but Tucson has not lowered the 1B age yet and have kept it at 75.

They have drive-thru vaccination locations and everything.

I was hoping to get both shots during the month we're here. So, I"m checking daily to see if there is a change.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
In the Austin area, the program seems to be changing hourly and not all the info seems to say the same thing.
I couldn't agree more. I'm trying to help my wife's parents get the vaccine but they are seemingly always missing the boat. They are on several lists from the Austin/Leander area at this point. Hopefully one of them pans out in the next few weeks.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

what bothers me is not the delay as that is certain to happen if you look just at the numbers. To get more than 300 million people vaccine, even if they get it ramped up to a million a day, that takes around ten months, so there is no real reason to get our hopes too high but the folly seems to be that there is no plan!
With a full year to look forward to getting a vaccine, it seems like there should be some plan by now???
If I understand the plan, it is that they are going to have a plan someday!
Old 01-22-2021, 03:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Got my first one yesterday. The section of Western North Carolina I am in seems well organized (Avery County). Local Rescue Squad members and Police Department assisted. Only took a bit over 1 hour, just had to drive up and get in line. I am 67, DW will have to come back as she is younger than I am. Found it interesting that they ask for my Medicare card, was told that the gov gives them some reimbursement to help with the cost.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Richard, you ar correct. We are in Galveston County but all my medical is done a Methodist - a HCA conglomerate. They notified us to come in.

It is such a shame that there are so many different variations of distribution. My son managed over 700 trucks distributing supplies in a war zone and he really feels that it is each city management problems, like the EOC managers, or whoever is supposed to be managing for that city, county, town, etc.

I have heard that there are states where people from other parts of the world are flying in and getting vaccinated, or from other states traveling to other states. It just doesn't figure!!
Old 01-22-2021, 04:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Yes, we have a "family" of undetermined size who come and go frequently and the grandfather just came back from Florida. He has a great deal of trouble with English as he is from Nepal but was able to ask if we had our shot yet and he had gotten his just before leaving Florida, even though he is "just visiting" from Nepal!
I think he was indicating he was a higher priority because he has been flying lots and due to smoking which puts him in a higher risk group in Florida!
He mentioned that since I do not smoke, there may be a delay. Isn't that a kick in the head????
I thought stopping smoking was a healthy thing to do but not if I have to get covid in the meantime.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Richard, I didn't want to mention a State, but it was Florida.

I have relatives and friends in Florida that are in the 1B category and cannot get the shots. Some counties are hurting for the vaccine while other's are flourishing. That has nothing to do with present or past regime(s). That is management at the State level.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Agree with giving the fed response time but then if there had been more thought given to how the states were going to react, it seems like it should have been a firm plan by now. Maybe there was too much bad info being passed for them to make a plan?
At one point, I'm sure we were told the army was standing ready and had all the plans for quick distribution but that is obvious just passing gas as as we now are told Fedex and UPS are the main delivery plans.
I was a little slow to accept the idea that the army was a really good way to distribute items all across the country as I've seen the gas mileage on some of those trucks!

I guess I can't really fault the states for not being able to follow a plan if there was never a plan made? I'm sure having trouble making my plan to get a shot when they keep changing who and where the shots are to be given.

I'm getting rumors but little hard info that the UT students are to expect to start enrolling soon but one has to be student, faculty or staff. This is only talk from the custodian who lives behind us and "over the fence" talk may not be too reliable!
Old 01-23-2021, 06:38 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Richard the new crew in DC is working hard to get that plan done and in action. Seems the previous crew didn’t do much in the way of planning this out. Give them a break they’ve only be on the job for two full days.
The "new crew" in DC have no power or authority to do anything but order more doses and ship them to the states, or to suggest to the States to go against last month's advice from medical experts to prioritize two doses for effective treatment over single doses for less effective, but more wide spread coverage.

Being a Republic of States, the States have all of the power, and mostly have delegated that to the local health departments, or hospitals. What you are seeing is how well run your local health department is.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:38 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Two points of info jump out at me this morning, one truly petty, vindictive, and disgusting and the other more hopeful!

News say that on Jan.6 there was a change in the plan with the vaccine providers as it was discovered that by using the correct needle type, six shots could be pulled from bottles labeled for five shots. Since the vaccine is bought per shot, not per bottle, the agreement was made to relabel the bottles to show the larger number in each bottle. This did lead to some delay as the bottles had to be sent back for the process and the company will obviously make far more money.
The truly disgusting part of this agreement is that the needles sent out for use are not the type to get the extra shot from the bottles. The result is that as a last act of screwing the country, they made sure the health of the country was put off one more time in favor of a company making a bigger profit!

The better news is that I got a response to my search for shots. No vaccine on hand but at least we know there is something on the other end of our search?

QUOTE:
Thank you for completing the UT Austin COVID-19 vaccination survey. All submitted surveys are reviewed by a health care professional and verified. Scheduling is dependent upon the availability of the vaccine. Individuals who match the State of Texas defined criteria for 1B will be contacted regarding the date, time, and location of your appointment once sufficient vaccine is available. We appreciate your patience as this may take several weeks.

Remember the vaccine is just one more level of protection. Please remember to wear a mask, maintain a safe social distance, and wash your hands frequently.

Your UT Austin Vaccination Team
Old 01-23-2021, 10:22 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Now that we have new leadership, I personally look forward to COVID-19 being treated just like H1N1 and completely dropping out of the daily news cycle. No more breathless death tolls.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:40 AM   #14
Site Team

Richard, the info I've seen on the dosages per bottle explained that in a large percentage of cases after the anticipated 5 shots had been given a large percentage of bottles had another full dose still in the bottle. And, that this is the reason that the labeling was changed.

That report said that it was a just a result that the various vaccine centers were encountering all around the country. Some didn't know what to do with the extra dose and needed guidance on if it should be used or not.

You can imagine if vaccination schedules are geared entirely for 5-doses per bottle that an unexpected result of 6-doses being available would cause some confusion and rethinking of scheduling.

I'm not suggesting that there was anything competent about previous vaccine planning but hopefully the extra dosage is an unexpected plus and nothing more.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:54 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Now for the tricky part(s) ... once you get vacinated so you don't get sick with some form of the virus ...

A) can your lungs still transport and then spew out the virus unto others who aren't vacinated if you and/or they aren't wearing masks or good enough masks,

AND

B) can you still get sick/die from one of the mutated different forms of the virus now in the U.S. that your vaccination doesn't cover?

As I see it, social distancing and good mask wearing should still be with us for a long time yet.

As a related downer side issue, those of us motorhome RV'ers who don't tow shouldn't RV yet because if we have a breakdown we can be left stranded on foot along the road since tow truck drivers don't want to transport us in the close confines of their tow truck cabs.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:37 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
Now for the tricky part(s) ... once you get vacinated so you don't get sick with some form of the virus ...

A) can your lungs still transport and then spew out the virus unto others who aren't vacinated if you and/or they aren't wearing masks or good enough masks,

AND

B) can you still get sick/die from one of the mutated different forms of the virus now in the U.S. that your vaccination doesn't cover?

As I see it, social distancing and good mask wearing should still be with us for a long time yet.

As a related downer side issue, those of us motorhome RV'ers who don't tow shouldn't RV yet because we can be left stranded on foot along the road since tow truck drivers don't want to transport us in the close confines of their tow truck cabs.
The COVID-19 vaccine does not have any live strain of COVID virus in it. If you research you can see how it works, so the theory of getting a shot can give you the virus is wrong.

Yes, if you have any virus your lungs can "spew" out and possibly contaminate others. the purpose of the vaccine is to diminish the possibility of contacting the virus. No vaccine is 100% effective, to my knowledge.

So, yes you can get sick from any mutated virus and I don't know of any vaccine that can protect 100% against mutated viruses. The vaccine reduces the risk associated with specific strains of viruses but not strains that have just popped up or have mutated from another virus. Some vaccines will protect against some strains but not all. Help, is there a doctor in the house!!

Just my 2 cents worth!

Can't comment on not towing.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:42 PM   #17
Site Team

It’s great to hear we were averaging over 900,000 shots a day the week before Biden was sworn in. Achieving a million a day should happen quickly. Hopefully they will double that before long.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:52 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
It’s great to hear we were averaging over 900,000 shots a day the week before Biden was sworn in. Achieving a million a day should happen quickly. Hopefully they will double that before long.
This is a good thought and once they get the vaccine production going again, the million per day should be doable but then the downside of that is how long it will still take to get close enough to get close to herd immunity when we look at more than 328 million people in the country!
One million per day but done twice is looking at something in the range of 700 days to get to around 70-80 % !
So there is no real reason to expect much by this time next year, more like the year after, perhaps?
Old 01-23-2021, 09:37 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Well, I hope they work according to the "science" and give second shots. I'd hate to be only 70% immunized. If it's that much. Heck, even at 95% after to shots you still have a chance of getting the virus.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:33 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

DW and I both got our first shot Jan 11 and the second dose of Moderna is scheduled for Feb 8th. Local county health department doing the best they can.

I agree some protection is better than none and yes, we will wear masks a long time still but hopefully many will not get infected. If I understand the numbers from FDA the older groups over 65 have less protection than those younger and perhaps 86% efficacy and not 95%. Still a pretty good bet to get on the vaccination list.

As far as side effects, yep, we both had them. Little arm pain at all but two days of flu like symptoms, down in the dirt. Third day a bit better and after that good. Plan on a few days of feeling a bit down for about 60% of those who take it. The other 40% will have no symptoms at all. Flu-like means headache, body pains, chills, slight fever. It is OK to take Tylenol and also suggested to cut back on alcohol a few days before and a few weeks after. The information sheet we got noted that side effects could be worse for the second dose. Drink fluids and rest as your immune system responds.

We can all have opinions and do. First thing is how many doses do we have? New CDC director said she does not know. That's big. So we must give the newbies some time to collect data. If the doses are available I trust we have enough collateral brain trust to deal with transportation and effectively organize mass vaccination sites. Final thought is hope the J&J is approved and effective plus a possible few more new supplies. The Johnson and Johnson is a one shot and done deal - much easier for mass vaccination and they stated 100 million doses will be available at approval.

The new mRNA vaccines are easier to modify and it seems entirely possible that we may need to get yearly boosters to deal with possible mutations. Only time can answer that - and our gifted scientists. Right now the challenge is to get 70-75% of the population vaccinated with what we know works today. I remain hopeful even as I check the numbers every day.