Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2020, 02:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Campgrounds. So how is it now?...late July

Hi, we drove to Yellowstone and the Tetons in mid June, which was a month later than we used to go. It was a nice trip, not too crowded, we brought all our food and stay just outside both parks.

I was just wondering after these past 3 weeks and relapse on virus stats just how crowded it is now. How have the parks been? And are camps closing down again? Thnx
Old 07-26-2020, 10:00 AM   #2
Site Team

In Pacific County, Washington, we have had zero deaths due to COVID-19. Our local hospital had zero patients in the morning yesterday; of any kind. That is an anomaly, but interesting nonetheless. Tons of motorhomes and trailers and fishing boats going through South Bend. Things seem fairly normal around here.
Eagle5
Old 07-29-2020, 06:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We have been to several Florida state parks in the last 2 months. The campgrounds are mostly full but campers are social distancing. The big thing you want to avoid is the crowds of day use folks. They are mostly young, like to gather in large crowds and generally avoid masks. The parks that have springs or beaches can be especially bad. We have one state park that is less than 2 miles from our house that is closed everyday by 10am because they have reached capacity. We have enjoyed our trips but it is best to get out early and late in the day when the day use folks aren't there.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:12 AM   #4
RVCalypso

In July we stayed at Show Low Lake and Apache Trout Lake campgrounds in Arizona. Both campgrounds were full to capacity. We also stayed at Pagoda Springs Riverside Campground, United Campgrounds in Durango and Mancos State Park all in Colorado. All three were filled to capacity. Probably 40% of the people had Texas plates, 30% New Mexico plates and the balance all other states. Like May and June we noticed a large percentage of temporary tags. I predict there will be a lot of used RV's on the market in next year. Many of these people have no idea what they bought.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Good info everyone. Its interesting to see how each state is different .
Gurroz, I’m more worried about the rv life becoming so popular that it may never br the same!��
Old 07-30-2020, 04:31 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Did one trip to Gettysburg for 4 days in April, closed my business so we got out of dodge, Stayed at Artillery Ridge. No one was there, so we were safe.

( since I couldn’t work we got out of dodge almost every week)
We did 3 trips in NY State in May - NY campgrounds never closed.
Canandaigua KOA - 4 days
Chautauqua lake KOA - 6 days
Corning / Watkins Glen KOA - 2 days

June-July we did a 18 day trip to Mt. Rushmore / Custer State Park - South Dakota never closed, the CGs on the way we’re all open in Ohio and Iowa.
Campgrounds in Rapid City we’re packed with out of state RVs

Next week we’re heading to the White Mountains of New Hampshire for 10 days. It’s wilderness up there, I think Carroll County has one death from the virus. We we go hiking we don’t see humans, we see bear and deer. Bringing the bear spray and a bell.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:46 AM   #7
RVCalypso

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvWildlife View Post
Gurroz, I’m more worried about the rv life becoming so popular that it may never br the same!��
I agree the rv life will continue to grow year over year. My point is a lot of people have ran out and bought rv's that have no idea what they are doing. They think it is essentially an hotel/motel room on wheels. We have traveled 9 of the past 12 weeks. Essentially 3 weeks each month. We mostly boondock, however, do stay in campgrounds occasionally. Most do not have hookups. In one campground there was a guy carrying a battery around trying to find someone to charge it for him. He had no idea his battery could run dead overnight. A couple from Texas bought a brand new 30' Outlook with a residential refrigerator. All of their food defrosted when their battery went dead. They were delighted that they were able to buy if for 10% under MSRP! In another campground we spoke with a guy that had a brand new 45' Grand Design Solitude with temp tags and severe rear end damage. He is a new RV owner with no experience and a solo traveler. He stated the damage occurred between camp ground 1 and 2. We have encountered several people on forest service roads with dead batteries or packing up and leaving early because they ran out of water. These are people that will either learn quickly or sell their rv. My bet is if they did not do their research before buying they probably will not do it after. In short it's not what they thought they were buying!
Old 08-02-2020, 05:42 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We did a road trip to Williamsburg Va for a few days. We stayed at the Anvil Campground and the owners were extremely diligent in adhering to the COVID crisis. We felt very safe there, although we didn’t use the facilities. But everyone there were mask conscious. Although Busch Gardens wasn’t open, Colonial Williamsburg was. It wasn’t very crowded. We went the 2nd week of July.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvWildlife View Post
Good info everyone. Its interesting to see how each state is different .
I wouldn't worry about that to much. Like Gurroz already mentioned, many spur of the moment buyers this year that will probably getting out of RVing faster then they got in.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:43 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Good to know not to worry so much aboit a trip.
Sounds like everyone did well if planning ahead.
Yes, the solar/battery issue is alive and well. Lol��
Old 08-03-2020, 03:18 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

2cyber71, I live just outside of Conway, NH. Traffic through and around town has been quite a bit heavier this year than in the past. Being one of three “safe” states in New England, visitors from the lower 45 see us as a preferred getaway. We’re still distancing and masking but the visitors, not so much. Seems to be far more rude people and litter bugs this summer. And there are more full campgrounds, more difficult parking at attractions - particularly trail heads - longer lines at restaurants. If you don’t have CG reservations yet, suggest you get on the horn today. Have a good trip and open an extra can of patience when driving through town.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:19 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

We spent several days last week camping in the Adirondacks at NY State Parks. NY State Campgrounds REQUIRE reservations, no walk ins allowed.

The campground was nice, not full but all waterfront sites were taken and reserved for the month of August. The restrooms were open and required masks but the showers were closed. I guess to limit cleanings.

Groups were hanging out together with no masks or social distancing but we were spaced well from the next campsite- about 150' so we didn't have to worry.

Noticed a lot of tent campers, probably newbies.

All of our favorite campsites in NY, Mass, Vt are fully booked for August at least for the nice sites. So no more camping until September after school starts.

David
Old 08-12-2020, 12:05 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

It was pretty quiet in the mountains back in mid June, back when the virus was subsiding and the campsites were just opening again.

If you have any updates on towns or mountains/oceans, its much appreciated! Thnx
Old 08-31-2020, 04:48 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We did our usual thing and set up some good trips in the Midwest (closer to home). Pilot Knob State Park in Iowa, Tranquil Timbers Sturgeon Bay in WI, Lakehead Boat Marina in Duluth, and Burlington Bay in Two Harbors MN. With the RV being self-contained, no problems with the virus. Leaving after Labor Day for an East Coast tour through the end of Dec. So far no notices of cancellations (most of our parks are in the Thousand Trails system with a couple KOAs and independents). Biggest question on my mind right now is how the NJ quarantine will work as I would like to go to the beach everyday if possible. (Staying for 3 weeks at Lake and Shore near Sea Isle City).