Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2020, 02:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Backlash at leaving in RV

Quoted in part from Yahoo:

After two weeks spent quarantined in their Upper West Side apartment, an Insta-famous family of seven decided to flee the city and take an RV out west. Naomi Davis, who goes by "@taza" on Instagram and has more than 465,000 followers, posted this decision in full to her account, alongside a photo of her, her husband, and their five kids.

"My heart is breaking for what is happening in New York where I live and around the world right now," Davis wrote. "And after two full weeks in the apartment, we made the family decision to drive out west so we can have a little more space (namely some outdoor space for the kids) for a little while."

The backlash was immediate, and additional media coverage of the post turned hundreds of angry comments into thousands. Davis has since restricted comments on the post, and there are a few people offering support, but the overwhelming majority of responders are shocked and horrified by the decision

End of Quote.

We were planning to get out of town too, only stopping for gas, pay at pump, and at commercial RV parks, with CC via phone, no face to face contact. It looks like that isn't considered socially acceptable.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:37 PM   #2
Site Team

Flaunting (that's what I would call it) that you're leaving a heavily infected area doesn't seem to be the brightest idea when you're being told to stay put. I'd agree that where you are is probably where you should stay.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:31 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Laura View Post
We were planning to get out of town too, only stopping for gas, pay at pump, and at commercial RV parks, with CC via phone, no face to face contact. It looks like that isn't considered socially acceptable.

As someone who put a lot of thought a few weeks into cancelling our April-long trip, here is something to think about.

What are you going to do, away from home, if (or when) one of you contracts the virus away from your home support network?
Your avatar indicates that you are Washington state. As I have said in other posts, please don't come to California.

Also, while it is only happening in the east right now, apparently vehicles with plates from impacted states like New York, are being stopped and advised to self quarantine when they get to their destination.

And, should you indeed decide to go, you should ensure that you have a place to stay before you leave. The parks that are open seem to be filling up rapidly, and may be changing their reservation policies.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:39 PM   #4
Site Team

There have been plenty that think that they can get away and effect no one. But the reality has been different.

Each has to decide on their own. But I think you'll find the vast majority of other RVers will say "STAY HOME."

And NON-RVers will say, "Stay home, @#$%$#$!!"

And if you read stories on www.IRV2.com of others that have headed out in spite of all the warnings, it's not been a pleasant experience and many have turned around and headed back home.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I think of folks who move as leaking buckets who are likely to be dripping the virus all along the way and at each place they stop. First just think of what the world is going through and ask if you should be adding to that and then ask h9ow is it possible to cut the risk of making it worse.
When you move, you potentially take any virus around you along for the ride. Every time you stop to gas and use the restroom or eat out, you will likely touch something and somebody else comes along to touch it next. That increases the risk and we are asked or ordered in many states to stay home.
Most of us have finally agreed that we should not move wood from one place to another as it causes bugs to move with us. Isn't it pretty obvious that we should not move bugs that kill humans!!
There were 70 dumb college kids from university of Texas decided to take spring break in Mexico and when they began to get sick, they took commercial flights home to Austin. More than 44 of those 70 are now positive so how many unaware passengers will now die due to a bunch of selfish, dumb, college kids?
Please be smarter than the average college kid!
Might also put a different spin on things to note that the Philipines has put out the order to shoot anybody breaking the curfew!
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rodrigo...t-people-dead/
Old 04-02-2020, 07:14 PM   #6
Site Team

I cancelled (hopefully just postponed) a 10-week trip to the Midwest because of the virus. It was the best decision for us. However, when I see an RV on the road I don’t assume anything about their trip. It’s their business, and I wish them a safe journey for whatever reason they are on the road. There as are some, such as mobile doctors, that need to be on the road right now.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:26 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

After thinking about it for a while, here’s something I have come up with. There is a lack of critical thinking on some people’s parts..

In hurricanes, you are told to bug out, and you go to where there is no hurricane, and you are generally welcomed and looked after, and then you go home and deal with the damage. No one tells you to shelter at home.

The same for wildfires. You are told to bug out, and you go to where there is no hurricane, and you are generally welcomed and looked after, and then you go home and deal with the damage. No one tells you to shelter at home.

This is different. This is saying, “I’m gonna leave where the hurricane is hitting now and leave for an area where it hasn’t hit yet, and let THOSE people take care of when it hits.”

This is, “Hey, the wildfire is right over the hill. Let’s head downwind and hope the fire doesn’t affect US or the people where we are going, but if it does, they’ll look after us.”

In those terms, the WHOLE USA (actually the whole world) is on fire, and experiencing a hurricane. And an earthquake.

Shelter at home, like the rest of us, and then deal with the damage, like the rest of us.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
As someone who put a lot of thought a few weeks into cancelling our April-long trip, here is something to think about.

What are you going to do, away from home, if (or when) one of you contracts the virus away from your home support network?
Your avatar indicates that you are Washington state. As I have said in other posts, please don't come to California.
You'll be glad to know I cancelled my planned trip from WA to CA about three weeks ago. It would have been right about now.

My concerns were: (1) Being able to find places to stay along the way; (2) Travel on Interstates possibly even being shut down and being stuck somewhere; and (3) Possibly infecting the family I was going to visit (or visa versa).

Now that our Governor has said private campground are essential I've considered maybe some short trips that are no more than a tank of diesel, but I'd have to find a private campground worth going to. And it would only be for short duration just to get out. Maybe two nights.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

[moderator edit - political comment removed]

To me it makes perfect sense that we should be sheltering in place and going out ONLY for supplies. The fewer people out there at any given time means less chance of contaminating others. That is a simple mathematical concept.

Even though the federal government is loath to recommend it, when we go out in public we should be wearing face masks. It simply makes sense. This has two positive effects: One: Even if you have the virus and are asymptomatic, or you're not, the mask will prevent the spray of droplets from your mouth. Two: it will protect you almost completely from the mouth spray of others.

By the way, in Alaska we've been sheltering in place for about three weeks now, with nearly all restaurants and businesses either closed or highly restricted. The real pisser is that the stay-home orders here and elsewhere must continually be extended every time a slow thinking governor finally decides he needs to do that for his state. Our stay-home order has now been extended until the end of April - for now. According to tonight's news there are still eight states without a stay-home order and their governors are still refusing to issue one. THEY are the one's directly responsible for the potential for the rest of us to potentially have to spend many weeks at home. That demonstrates why such declarations must be made at the national level.

My wife and I didn't wear the masks initially, but we are now doing it when we go out. Its simply a smart thing to do. Oh, and you don't have to wear the N95 masks. In fact, those are the ones desperately needed for the healthcare people, not us "regular" people. The homemade variety of masks and even plain dust masks are sufficient for catching those droplets.

The masks, the quarantining, the stay-home orders, and social distancing are greatly effective in reducing if not virtually stopping the spread of the Coronavirus. These are simple and easily to understand concepts. Its just astounding that "highly educated" people in leadership positions do not seem to understand this. Or simple refuse to.

Its equally disappointing that it appears that some of our fellow RVers are not understanding this situation either.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Cancelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Laura View Post

Just to be clear, we WERE (past tense) planning..... The trip was cancelled about two weeks ago.

My post was about the backlash and I sure got it here.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:00 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I had some repairs and maintenance items done at my RV shop in anticipation of getting some traveling in. Well, instead I parked it on my secured storage lot for the (un)foreseeable future.

Our county (not the whole state of MO) is on Stay at Home orders and it was time to do so IMO. We are gladly complying and trying to wait this thing out. We are retired and past 60, maybe that alone motivated our compliance. When I do go out to get something we need I go during the week, early in the day and wear a face mask.

We live pretty close to I-44 and when I walk my dog alongside the outer road I did notice that there is a much higher number of RVs on the road then usual.

Hope everybody stays safe within their own four walls.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:42 PM   #12
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Say what?

We decided to defy all orders and have elected to take a trip from the living room to our RV in the driveway to enjoy some getaway time. In all seriousness, I agree with most of these posts, that it’s just best to hunker down and stay in place until it’s safe to do so, and thank you for doing that. That said, it won’t be safe to do so when they tell us it will be safe to do so, it will be safe to do so considerably after that period has been declared.
If you look at National Geographic‘s webpage where they did an article on the curve in 1918 Spanish flu, it went up dramatically and dropped until the public felt safe and then it rose dramatically again. We’re in for a long haul. But the better we do now, and the longer we take coming out of this, the better will be at the end of the rainbow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81CED3F6-6C28-467C-B3CD-CD2B5B6C5F65.jpeg
Views:	113
Size:	731.3 KB
ID:	173191  
Old 04-04-2020, 10:05 PM   #13
Site Team

Ok, is that an actual photo? If so, I love it! :-)
Old 04-05-2020, 02:36 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

After spending a very pleasant fall and winter in South Texas, we were very ready to head back to Washington to visit the grandkids. At the outset, in mid March, we knew the virus might affect us some. That was an understatement.

Every week, more and more campgrounds close, registrations in overnight stops have gotten strange, most now, just by phone, you see and talk with no one. Traffic has been light, except for trucks, lots of trucks. And fuel has been cheap. But supplies have be tough to get, and our license plate draws comments, even though we haven't been in the Pacific NW since last summer.

As full timers, we have no particular place to go back to. Each week we saw more and more of our usual campgrounds in Washington close to new arrivals. So the decision was made to find a place we could afford, and hunker down in place. We arrived in our our Sun City, AZ Encore park one day before their corporate office shut down all parks nationwide to new arrivals.

If you choose to leave your sticks and bricks home to travel a bit, be prepared for challenges. It is a strange new world out there for RV'rs, and it seems to get worse every day now.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:30 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey39n View Post
Each week we saw more and more of our usual campgrounds in Washington close to new arrivals.
You might try again. Private campgrounds were not listed as essential at first. I think it only changed this last week if I recall correctly. Of course with the state parks closed they may be more likely to be full for that reason.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:33 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your online posts alerting folks who do not have the capability of understanding the importance of sheltering in place.

I agree with akeagle, don’t leave a trail of exposure, nor pick up someone else’s trail of the virus. This will pass over time, if we do wait this out. That road that’s calling your name will be here next month. Why put yourself or others at risk? I know 4 people who have had it and two showed no symptoms. They were tested from a cruiseship, thank God.

Btw, did you read the news tonight about three tigers from the Bronx zoo have covid19? We have a lot to learn about this virus still, and this is just for folks that just don’t get it. Thank you all.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:29 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

My belief is that the human race is getting a practical lesson in Darwin's Theory of Evolution and the chapter on Natural Selection. Those that avoid unnecessary risks and apply reasoned, educated and intelligent thought to avoid Covid-19 will survive this. Those that don't, may not. We are living in the ultimate reality show in 2020, 102 years after the last lesson. Those that don't learn the lessons of history are destined to repeat them. Its a wonder we've survived this long.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:15 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

And, we should save those limited camp sites for the full-timers who have very few choices.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:16 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Today's LA Times

Quote:
On the road in the Southwest during the coronavirus pandemic. Shelter in place? Keep driving?

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...mpers-route-66

A quote pulled from the story...
Quote:

In recent days, a blogger from New York City — the nation’s coronavirus hot spot — drew online irewhen she set off on a cross-country road trip with her husband and kids inside an RV. Some believed the move was a deliberate flouting of stay-at-home orders.“After two full weeks in the apartment, we made the family decision to drive out west so we can have a little more space,” blogger Naomi Davis wrote on Instagram, adding that they planned to take care to stay away from others.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:31 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Hi everyone, Hope are all safe & healthy. I have a "our" dilemma to pose to the forum. My wife & I are sitting this virus out in a park in Yuma. We were originally due to head back home to Wenatchee, WA the 30th of March. Then, pushed departure out to the 20th of April. Now, we don't know when to leave. Should we make a run for home before this virus is totally out of hand. Or, should we sit tight? I have an 85 yr old Mom back in Wenatchee that I worry "what if she gets sick while I'm down here?" We want to do the right thing.