Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2020, 08:25 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Hi everyone, Hope are all safe & healthy. I have a "our" dilemma to pose to the forum. My wife & I are sitting this virus out in a park in Yuma. We were originally due to head back home to Wenatchee, WA the 30th of March. Then, pushed departure out to the 20th of April. Now, we don't know when to leave. Should we make a run for home before this virus is totally out of hand. Or, should we sit tight? I have an 85 yr old Mom back in Wenatchee that I worry "what if she gets sick while I'm down here?" We want to do the right thing.
I'll focus on the last part. I'm not sure what you could do about your mom. If she does need to go into the hospital I don't think they would let you see her. And as a practical matter you probably shouldn't be near her for fear you might infect her. Not clear what her living arrangements are, but as long as she can get food and have someone call 911 if necessary, I'm not sure what you would add to the mix. These are not usual times where being near family is necessarily helpful.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:36 AM   #22
Site Team

Some travel, such as you going home is a necessity. Only you can decide what’s appropriate for you. It sure doesn’t sound like you are being frivolous in contemplating heading home while taking precautions for health and safety.

Safe travels and stay healthy.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:46 AM   #23
Site Team

To build on what Creativepart said. I have a relative currently in the Cleveland Clinic (Ohio) who has been there for 2 weeks following surgery. The floor that she is on is not being used to treat Covid patients at all yet she still is not permitted visitors. Her husband isn't even permitted out of his vehicle when he goes to pick her up. He calls, they bring her down and load her in the car out front.

I had another great aunt pass this last week. Her family cannot even gather or find a location to have a funeral.

As stated, there is nothing that you would be able to do if your mother taken to a facility (at least in Ohio and FL where we are). If you were driving into FL after being away you'd still have to be isolated for 14 days, I believe so they'd not want you interacticting with her anyway.

I hope that you get home and get to see your mother but I'd hold tight to where you are and just keep in touch.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:03 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for the thoughtful replies.
Mom lives in her own home. She was having some in home services done, but obviously not now. She drives to Fred Meyer for curbside delivery of food, meds and other essentials. And yes, we for sure would have to quarantine ourselves before visiting her.
As for us, I think the only thing to need attention is the yard. lol. The grass will be overgrown, then dying from lack of water. I think we can come up with a solution for that though.
Stay well everyone! Pat
Old 04-08-2020, 03:33 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Reach out to the people of Wenatchee, I've visited your city and know some fine people there. I'm sure if they knew of her need, someone would be glad to help with the yardwork. Delivery services and shopping services for groceries and medications are available too, my 90+ year old aunt and uncle in Las Vegas use them often after they became unable to drive. They pay a monthly fee and its quite reasonable. I went there to take care of them for 6 weeks two years ago after they both ended up in the hospital, after that we hired 24 hour nursing care until they could get by without them, and then they subscribed to the shopping and delivery service. The hardest part is doctor's appointments, especially now for her.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:28 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

RV Tavel during the Pandemic - NO

Unless you have been tested, you are a potential carrier, even if you have no symptoms. So I agree with those folks who advise everyone to stay home for now. I can certainly appreciate the concern of your being a possible carrier,

In British Columbia the news flash a few minutes ago was to advise those thinking about heading off to cottage country for the long weekend, not to travel, stay home. You could be a carrier, be safe, not sorry.

I had thought about getting away, the private RV parks are still open, but I will head the travel warning and stay home this weekend. I noticed that BC parks just extended the closure of all Provincial Parks to the end of May.
Old 04-11-2020, 03:08 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

As I understand it, Washington's declaration that RV Parks are essential businesses, is meant to say, they can stay in operation for the folks already in the park (i.e. full-timers who have nowhere else to go) and are not open to new short-term recreation campers.

Our parks that we frequent in the state are saying no new entrants at all, if you are already in the park, you can stay.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:48 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey39n View Post
Our parks that we frequent in the state are saying no new entrants at all, if you are already in the park, you can stay.
Here's what the order says.

Quote:
PRIVATE CAMPGROUNDS
Camping and workers supporting private campgrounds are deemed essential. Please be mindful that private campgrounds will remain open to ensure that long-term residents are not displaced. To the greatest extent possible, avoid using this bulletin to justify vacationing in an unsafe manner.
It's ambiguous, but that interpretation by the parks is probably the safest. It doesn't say no new entrants, but it also doesn't want "vacationing." If someone had a history of staying in the park for an extended period each year that probably wouldn't violate the order, but I could also see the camp wouldn't want to risk it. It could mean a revocation of their licensing or other penalties.

https://www.governor.wa.gov/sites/de...ce=govdelivery
Old 04-12-2020, 04:11 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

We have a weekend reservation at a local state park in two weeks. Debating whether to go. The park itself is closed for day use, open only for those with reservations. All public facilities are closed which we wouldn't use anyways.
The spots there are spaced far apart from each other. Will see how things look a few days prior.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:57 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

trouble

Just wait 2 more wks u haven-t seen anything yet lot more unrest
Old 04-12-2020, 06:05 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Laura View Post
Quoted in part from Yahoo:

After two weeks spent quarantined in their Upper West Side apartment, an Insta-famous family of seven decided to flee the city and take an RV out west. Naomi Davis, who goes by "@taza" on Instagram and has more than 465,000 followers, posted this decision in full to her account, alongside a photo of her, her husband, and their five kids.

"My heart is breaking for what is happening in New York where I live and around the world right now," Davis wrote. "And after two full weeks in the apartment, we made the family decision to drive out west so we can have a little more space (namely some outdoor space for the kids) for a little while."

The backlash was immediate, and additional media coverage of the post turned hundreds of angry comments into thousands. Davis has since restricted comments on the post, and there are a few people offering support, but the overwhelming majority of responders are shocked and horrified by the decision

End of Quote.

We were planning to get out of town too, only stopping for gas, pay at pump, and at commercial RV parks, with CC via phone, no face to face contact. It looks like that isn't considered socially acceptable.
if a cure for cancer was announced tomorrow the twit-mob and other mouth breathing basement dwellers would find something to complain about.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
Old 04-12-2020, 06:08 PM   #32
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Hi everyone, Hope are all safe & healthy. I have a "our" dilemma to pose to the forum. My wife & I are sitting this virus out in a park in Yuma. We were originally due to head back home to Wenatchee, WA the 30th of March. Then, pushed departure out to the 20th of April. Now, we don't know when to leave. Should we make a run for home before this virus is totally out of hand. Or, should we sit tight? I have an 85 yr old Mom back in Wenatchee that I worry "what if she gets sick while I'm down here?" We want to do the right thing.
I think the answer lies within your personal family situation. Are you healthy? Would you risk getting Covid19 if your Mom got it? Would you go to her house to help out, knowing you'll likely get it too? If you feel you're healthy enough to survive infection, you may want to get closer to home to be available for your mom, maybe Idaho where there are few cases.

To minimize your personal risk, I suggest you stay put in Yuma, where there are few cases. Continue social distancing where you are and wait it out, and hope your mom avoids getting it in Washington. If she stays home she should be OK. Are there other family members near your mom, available to shop for her? That would help.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:08 PM   #33
Winnebago Master

Something simple to ask ourselves?
If we can't tolerate doing this right the first time, how will we ever tolerate doing it over because we rushed it?
It's said that the Americans will do what's right, but only after they try everything else!
Every generation seems set on trying to relearn some of the simple things.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:28 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Only if you're stupid enough to trumpet it on social media.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:57 PM   #35
NXR
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I have an 85 yr old Mom back in Wenatchee that I worry "what if she gets sick while I'm down here?" We want to do the right thing.
I think most if not all orders consider caring for a family member as essential travel. Especially if they're 85.

If a state trooper sees you heading in the direction of your license plates you'll probably just pass by them. Stock up on supplies so you can stay at home for the 14 days many states are requiring for people entering their state and you'll be OK.

Ray
Old 04-12-2020, 08:04 PM   #36
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
You'll be glad to know I cancelled my planned trip from WA to CA about three weeks ago. It would have been right about now.

My concerns were: (1) Being able to find places to stay along the way; (2) Travel on Interstates possibly even being shut down and being stuck somewhere; and (3) Possibly infecting the family I was going to visit (or visa versa).

Now that our Governor has said private campground are essential I've considered maybe some short trips that are no more than a tank of diesel, but I'd have to find a private campground worth going to. And it would only be for short duration just to get out. Maybe two nights.
Private campgrounds are essential to keep open so that those already in them can obey the Stay Home Orders. Today all of the US is now under a Federal Disaster Declaration for the first time in history so now is not a good time to be transferring COVID19 across State lines and potentially causing new cases in areas formerly with no or a very limited number of cases.

In the County where I live with almost 1 million other residents and on average 2 to 3 times that number in tourists due to strict compliance with the current restrictions there are 455 confirmed cases and 13 deaths from COVID19 and to be honest we'd really like to keep it that way by staying the course of social distancing, etc, etc which is not going to happen if people from highly impacted areas keep trying to come in.

Every step you take outside your personal abode be it on a public walkway, floor, parking lot, gas island, or even the sidewalk outside your property every door handle, gas pump, soft drink machine, etc, etc you touch is an opportunity to come into contact with and spread around COVID19 so for now its best practice to plan on staying where you are unless that is absolutely 100% impossible.

Lets not be a bunch of Typhoid Mary's, Marks, Martys, etc spreading this thing around. The more of us that comply the Hygienic/Social Distancing Protocols and Stay at Home orders the sooner we will reach the plateau and the fewer will end up dead.

If we all work together on this perhaps we may see more normalcy by the Forth of July.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:54 AM   #37
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Private campgrounds are essential to keep open so that those already in them can obey the Stay Home Orders.
Well you'll be happy to know my plans never even got to the point of looking for a park. It turns out our essential parks order doesn't include "vacationing." Also, I have come around more to your line of thinking. Our trips out of the house are very limited, particularly since we are in an area served by Amazon's Fresh grocery delivery. They don't have everything we need, but it does allow me to just shop at a regular store maybe every other week and then for only a few items I can just carry home.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:46 AM   #38
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Sadly, even if you are there if she gets sick, you probably won't be allowed to see her, so moving yourself into that Covid-19 hotspot may not really accomplish anything except put yourself at higher risk.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:39 AM   #39
Winnebago Owner

I live in Moab, Utah, (a former tourist mecca) and our state does not have a mandatory Stay at Home order, but a recommended one, and most Utahns are abiding by it. We do have a much lower infection incidence than most other states, even those with Stay at Home orders. What is irritating is when I have to go to the grocery store and see all the out-of-state license plates from hot-spot states that DO have Stay at Home orders, i.e., Colorado, California, Washington. They come here to infect the people in our grocery store so they can share it with the rest of us. We only have one case in our county as of today, but one of the docs at our hospital here said they are expecting a surge in cases in about 2 weeks from all the visitors that 'illegally' showed up a couple of weeks ago, mostly from Colorado.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:40 PM   #40
Winnebago Owner

My nephew went from Washington state to Minnesota to pick up his son and daughter from college. The Washington plate on the car received many flip offs and dirty looks. In Montana, the campgrounds are closed but the off site forest service and BLM lands are packed with California and Washington plates. I have heard lots of angry comments expressed over this situation. It is evident locals are not going to treat anyone with an out of state plate very well. I would say if you attempt an rv trip, travel inside your own state and you will probably be accepted and less likely to end up with trouble.