Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > COVID-19 Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-29-2020, 06:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Arizona park residents in denial!

We are in the process of relocating to Arizona in the middle of this mess. Arrived at a snowbird park where we have stayed before. Management has taken steps to avoid the spread of COVID-19 such as closing common areas.

But the people staying in the park are idiots! They are still sitting in their happy hour circles yucking it up, sharing food, hugging and shaking hands. Many of them have obvious risk factors besides age. I actually had to warn off someone from approaching me too closely. His response was, "Oh yes, I keep forgetting about this virus thing." I asked someone if they were worried and they told me it was overblown by the media and besides there weren't any local cases.

There is a huge difference between prudence and hysteria. It is called common sense! As I traveled to Arizona I couldn't believe the number of people pumping gas without gloves, buying food and drink in truck stops, lack of minimal transmission prevention by employees and anything approaching social distancing by employees and customers.

We're not germaphobes by any means, but we can't believe the denial and lack of common sense displayed by these idiots. Please stay safe!
Old 03-29-2020, 06:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Yes, many people are not taking it seriously. I think your viewpoint has a lot to do with your environment. Perhaps you are coming from the NE where C-19 is raging, people are dying in the hospitals every day and lack of PPE and ventilators is here and now.

But in Arizona you might not be seeing this...... for now. Until it gets closer to home people tend to minimize and deny the risks.

All you can do is to keep youself safe and stay away from the deniers.

David
Old 03-29-2020, 08:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

They need to realize this isn't just for them, it's to prevent the spread to others.

On the pumping gas issue, I sometimes used gloves before because I have a diesel pickup. But an alternative to gloves is hand sanitizer after.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

It's not just Arizona but I'm sure it is more embedded and slower to change as they have not yet had to do it. Just look at the guy in the East who had a party, was warned and still had a party with 60 people! This time they did charge him. Obviously they should charge all who attended also but we tend to be really slow to actually make decisions. I just read that only 26 states have closed down so far. Really not much of a UNITED effort at all.
I guess the folks in Arizona will just have to learn but it will be slow as they are in denial oden not rational. They might want to observe what is happening to folks who deny it's happening.
It was way back in the first week of February that the HHS refused to accept additional funding for things like testing supplies and PPE!
Kind of like we let the house smoke for a while and then order up smoke detectors instead of calling the fire department.
Guess those folks did not wake up quick enough to want to keep you out. That's a good thing from your view but not much for them if you did happen to bring the virus with
you!
What did Forrest Gump say? Stupid is as stupid does!
Old 03-29-2020, 09:03 AM   #5
RVCalypso

AZ Park Residents

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
But in Arizona you might not be seeing this...... for now. Until it gets closer to home people tend to minimize and deny the risks.

All you can do is to keep youself safe and stay away from the deniers.

David
In Arizona we have had 783 cases and 15 deaths as of March 28th, I would say it's hit Arizona. The sad thing is the people the OP referred to are most likely snowbirds and will get in their rigs and head north.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:08 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

In Washington state people were acting so stupid that they shut down hiking and fishing! Those are activities where it should be relatively easy to stay distanced.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Vita 24P

Yes it is crazy out there. Funny years ago while living in Okinawa and Japan People had no problem wearing masks when ill or preventing spread of Flu, colds, etc. That shows that in highly populated dense cities they have had this figured out a long time. We as a society have too don't accept this as we are too vain. Now in truth I do believe it is overblown, but good common sense prevention goes a long way to stop this virus. Truth be said we loose more people with Flu every year, but that being said, this is dangerous times. Be careful folks.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

As to your point though, I see the same behavior in my residential neighborhood, and they are considerably younger. Too many people are just not taking this seriously.

I think part of the problem is not understanding the difference between this and a seasonal flu. That the seasonal flu causes many more deaths than this has is not the point. It would be a very rare seasonal flu that would have the ability to overwhelm our health care system. It's the lack of immunity and lack of vaccine that is the difference.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:50 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We are staying put at an RV park in the Yuma foothills. We were due to head out today. But, we are going to sit tight for at least the 21st of April, hoping this thing will calm down. The few people still here are doing a good job of self distancing. No inside activities are available. The outdoor activities, pool, golf, pickle ball are still being used. We are from WA, so not in a hurry to leave this little safe haven.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Having the hospitals overwhelmed is definitely one of the differences in this virus as well as the total difference in the flu. Flu rarely stresses the health system as we are used to dealing with it and many of us do have a certain level of antibodies built up, even when the flu varies a bit year to year. There should be no argument about whether this is overwhelming the system as too many places are reporting the same things. The result of that should get most any retired persons attention, even if they don't give a whang about anybody else, they should be able to see that they are at risk, too.
What happens if the hospital staff and EMS are overrun with the virus and there are no beds available in their county when they have a heart attack or even if they step on the Boccie ball and break a hip? There are a few states where things have not reached stress levels of overcrowding but my friends report elective surgery are put on hold for things like knee replacement, etc.
If the doctor and hospital are not pushing us to do surgery, what does that tell most rational thinking people? They don't want you clogging the system any more than it is for something as "normal" as a heart attack!
Old 04-05-2020, 02:51 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

On our way back to Washington State, we have seen the challenges increase every day as we drove from South Texas to the Phoenix area. All towns and cities along the way seemed to be semi-shut down but as we approached Phoenix, it seemed like business as usual.

It looks like we will not get to Washington state this year. We were lucky to get into a AZ park that we can stay in for the duration (I hope), all our usual parks in WA state are now closed to new arrivals.

Many keep saying, oh this isn't as bad as the usual flu. Just wait as the deaths start mounting into the hundreds of thousands and beyond. Our society is just too resistant to change behavior. Masks for everyone, sanitize everything, and just perhaps, we keep the deaths down like some of the Asian countries have already done.

I hope I am totally wrong, but I fear this is going to get much worse, before it gets better.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:25 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

What HE said ^^^^^^^^.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:12 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey39n View Post
It looks like we will not get to Washington state this year. We were lucky to get into a AZ park that we can stay in for the duration (I hope).
Keep telling yourself... it’s a dry heat.

And stay healthy!
Old 04-05-2020, 08:15 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Keep telling yourself... it’s a dry heat.

And stay healthy!
My mom had a place in Mesa that I used to go to in the Summer. I enjoyed it for a week or so at a time. But it wasn't an RV. I wonder if an RV's AC would keep up.

But being outside, if you could at least be in shade, wasn't all that bad.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:17 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

We live just off of I-40 in northern AZ and the traffic has slowed considerably. Driving through downtown Flagstaff last week to get my wife's medication at the pharmacy, we made the comment that traffic here has slowed to what it was normally 15 years ago. The only thing that we noticed on I-40 that hasn't changed is the amount of big rigs. Even the usual RV traffic has slowed considerably.

I can tell you that most of the people we see here have masks on. Stores are limiting the number of people allowed inside at something like 1 person to every 1,000 square feet of space. It is a lot more quiet here than what I can remember it ever being. Little to no traffic noise and it's kind of nice hearing birds way off in the distance. We live on old Route 66 (now Townsend Winona Rd) and it is peacefully quiet. I imagine as you get closer to the valley (Phoenix), it is probably different.

We have our RV setup and ready to use when this all passes. We have even set it up for a self quarantine just in case any friends or neighbors have a need.

So even if other more populated areas in Arizona may not be taking it seriously, it is being taken seriously here in the Flagstaff area. Could it be better? Yes...but that could probably be said of the entire country. Times like these bring out the worst and the best of humanity.

Everyone stay safe out there!

Al
Old 04-05-2020, 01:13 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAspect View Post
Stores are limiting the number of people allowed inside at something like 1 person to every 1,000 square feet of space.
Is that creating lines outside the store? If so they are just creating a problem outside the store, and probably a worse problem than if they did nothing.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:20 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Surprisingly, no. I saw a small line outside of Home Depot...about 5 people and they were standing at least 10 feet apart. But who knows, you are correct in that people need to be cautious about that, too. I did see that a group of restaurants in Phoenix have a system setup whereas people pull up in a modified parking lot and place their orders online and wait for their food in their car. Everything is paid for over their phones. Employees will come out and deliver their order to them. The parking lot has been setup so there is a ton of space between cars. You can even order your meal from restaurant "A" and dessert from Cold Stone and all is delivered at once by the same individual. That's better than a drive up or going inside to pickup your food.

Al
Old 04-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

As folks who had, have and will have a studied skepticism of anything promoted by the g'mnt, we maintain that skepticism in this "crisis". As some have said in earlier posts, the comparitive numbers just do not stand scrutiny. By CDCs own website, they still do not exceed 2019-2020 seasonal flu numbers (29000 - 69000 deaths) or even the 38000 NEW cases of HIV/AIDS. (I digress, can you imagine being queried on your period revenues, and telling the investors "Net revenues are about $29K - $69K for the last period?)

Having said that, the rational person is inclined to go along, sit it the middle of their 5 acres on a hill, and engage in OODA. We are Observing, Orienting and will soon Decide how much longer we will put up with this house arrest.

Personally, we do not like RV parks, rarely spend more than a travel night in one. Since 3/9, our last post on this subject, we have taken two trips. BLM and state park. Both easily met all the criteria now being put out for "social distancing". The bluegill are bedding, the crappy are sassy and the weather is perfect. And no, on a 1/4 tank round trip you are not like a leaky bucket.

The guidelines as being breathlessly touted, are nothing more than a rational person would follow in any virus season. You should not have to wait 'til the g'mnt tells you to wash your hands.

We have a pretty good idea who the susceptible folks are. Over weight diabetics - stay home. HIV and other compromised - stay home. Geezers - stay home. (Except us. Bluegills still bedding. You WILL stay significantly further than 6 feet of my hot spot. But we will give you a friendly wave and an "ahoy!" from the safety of our site) The rest need to get back to work. Somebody has to be making face masks. Somebody needs to be cutting pulp wood. Somebody needs to be making TP. Etc.

Opinions will likely vary.🤔

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Old 04-06-2020, 02:26 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchinahand View Post
As some have said in earlier posts, the comparitive numbers just do not stand scrutiny. By CDCs own website, they still do not exceed 2019-2020 seasonal flu numbers (29000 - 69000 deaths) or even the 38000 NEW cases of HIV/AIDS.
Neither of those have the potential to overwhelm healthcare facilities. Neither of those have caused hospitals from admitting patients for other non-emergency purposes. New contagious diseases are in a category of their own.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:23 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Since guidelines have delayed elective medical procedures, Southern Arizona hospitals are presently furloughing nurses, some Dr's and non- COVID direct support non-medical EEs. The regional hospital in Green Valley (55+ community, snowbird nirvana) has advised they will have to close within the next few weeks due to lack of COVID patients. And no electives.

Due to ever changing and often, often conflicting information, we will grudgingly comply for now. But we are not likely to be able to assess this "crisis" until well after it has become history.

To paraphrase Ben Franklin, who trades freedom for safety will find neither freedom nor safety. Studied skepticism is healthy.

Thank you. It is enjoyable to reason together.

Fair Winds and Following Seas