Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-09-2020, 09:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Worthless propane quick connect?

Can anyone tell me why new RVs have propane quick connects after the propane regulator? I had visions of tagging my coleman two burner triton with me on our next trip but then quickly found out connecting anything to that port will probably have too low of pressure to work.

So, can anyone tell me what the original purpose of the connect port was?

Surely most propane devices are self regulated, so why was it designed that way?
McTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Just a guess, but does whatever you're connecting have a regulator? If so it probably won't work behind the regulator of the propane tank. The second regulator might need a higher pressure behind it to function. You would probably need a straight hose without a regulator.

Edit: If this is a similar device it probably has a regulator built in since it seemingly connects directly to a tank. Probably impossible or dangerous to defeat, but again just a guess. But if instead you are using a hose that has a regulator, get rid of that.

https://www.coleman.com/all-camp-kit...COL_2000020953
Old 06-09-2020, 11:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Just a guess, but does whatever you're connecting have a regulator? If so it probably won't work behind the regulator of the propane tank. The second regulator might need a higher pressure behind it to function. You would probably need a straight hose without a regulator.

Edit: If this is a similar device it probably has a regulator built in since it seemingly connects directly to a tank. Probably impossible or dangerous to defeat, but again just a guess. But if instead you are using a hose that has a regulator, get rid of that.

https://www.coleman.com/all-camp-kit...COL_2000020953
Hard for me to verify on Colemans website but Im sure it does. When I went online to look at other propane stoves it seems like all of them have some sort of self regulating propane device.

I think Im going to get one of those T's that will give me propane access before the main regulator.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTrailer View Post
I think Im going to get one of those T's that will give me propane access before the main regulator.
Not sure what that is, but I would make sure there are no leaks (test with soapy water) and test it the first time in a safe area.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

RV builders put the propane quick connect on the low pressure side of the regulator so they won't have high pressure anywhere underneath the coach. I wouldn't have it any other way. It is not worthless, it is safe.

Most large grills and smokers that use a large 20 lb LPG bottle for normal fuel have the regulator at one end of the hose that screws into the bottle and the other end screws in to the appliance. To use one with a quick connect you need a male quick connect fitting on one end of the low pressure hose and a fitting that connects to your grill (often 3/8" compression) on the other end.

Smaller grills that use 1lb propane bottles often have the female propane bottle fitting integrated with the regulator that is often a part of the grill burner. You can usually separate the two and use the approach described above for large grills.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 11:51 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

You need to remove the regulator on your grill. You will need the appropriate hardware in order to use a quick connect for the grill.

Old 06-09-2020, 01:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhedges View Post
You need to remove the regulator on your grill. You will need the appropriate hardware in order to use a quick connect for the grill.

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2020, 05:36 PM   #8
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTrailer View Post
Can anyone tell me why new RVs have propane quick connects after the propane regulator? I had visions of tagging my coleman two burner triton with me on our next trip but then quickly found out connecting anything to that port will probably have too low of pressure to work.

So, can anyone tell me what the original purpose of the connect port was?

Surely most propane devices are self regulated, so why was it designed that way?
It's for devices with no regulator, just a flow control valve, whatever they may be. I don't understand their logic either. I love my Weber grill and wanted to connect it to the RV's tank instead of using those 1lb. disposables that are 20 times more expensive than the bulk propane. It requires high pressure propane. So here is what I did. I installed a propane "T" connection between the tank and the RV house regulator. Off of that I installed a shutoff valve and 30 psi regulator which is good for the Weber grill and a high output banjo burner. I have 20 feet of propane hose off the regulator and it ends with a shutoff valve and female propane quick connect fitting. All that I had to do after that was convert my Weber Grill and banjo burner from their original fittings to male propane quick connect fittings. Caution: There are many air/gas quick connect fitting standards, please use the hard-to-find ones designed for propane. Lobster anyone?
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

You need a “low pressure” bbq grill, if it has a normal regulator it reduces the pressure to almost npthing, since gas is coming through two regulators that are both set to reduce as if they were the only one inline. Thereare not that many low pressure grills, so a very limited selection. However, you can put a 4 way gas valve on your line between the tank and the regulator and run a normal grill off that. You can get them off Amazon, and there are many YouTube videos explaining how to install.
mitchoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 05:40 AM   #10
RonBonoSr

Propane quick connect

I have an external quick connect propane port on my motorhome which produces 0.5 psi of pressure. I tried to connect a Camco Little Red Campfire to it and was told by Camco that it requires 5 psi. No way to connect the two and have it work. Rather than use 1 lb bottles of propane that don't last that long or carry a 20 lb bottle, I purchased an 11 lb bottle and plan to use it.
RonBonoSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:59 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I wanted to use the portable grill and the fire pit without the 1 pound rip off bottles (not to mention the disposable nightmare) . So, I bought an adapter to connect the grill to an 8 pound refillable propane tank-works on the fire pit too. Life is good...:-)
brican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:00 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Now that the issue has been explained, there seems to be three ways to go. Either get a grill designed for the low pressure, mod your current grill or change the RV plumbing to tap in before the RV regulator.
Keep your options open and decide which you prefer. If your current grill doesn't work, something has to be changed. No big deal, right?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane