Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2021, 08:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago View Norcold N10DC Fridge

Does anyone have experience running this 12V DC fridge strictly off the batteries? I would like to be able to turn it on for a few hours to cool it, then load it for travel to an RV park, where I could then plug into the 30A service. Just worried about running the batteries down. While stationary, I realize I could turn on the propane generator to recharge, but don't want to have to run the generator for very long.
Sorry if this shows my "RV Newbie" status. Just don't have a feel for this yet.
Larry A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Norcold's specs say that it uses 5.7 amps in standard mode, which will be the case while cooling down- https://norcold.com/product/polar-10...-refrigerator/

Running off of your batteries for 3-4 hours to cool down before heading off shouldn't harm your batteries, 20-25 amp hours total. That will easily be replaced by the chassis alternator while driving for a few hours.

Loading with already cold food helps the cool down.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Turning on the fridge 12 or more hours before loading would be much better than just "a few hours". The longer duration gets the box and all the walls cooled down all the way. If this were a gas/elect fridge 24 hours would be best.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, norcold, view, winnebago