Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-29-2016, 02:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago added in transit latches on Whirlpool frig have failed

Winnebago added a latch to the top of each door of the residential frig in our 40R to secure the doors. The latches are the typical cabinet latch with the hook on one side and flap catch on the other. It is a good idea in theory but poorly executed.

The problem is that the catch has pulled loose from the top of the frig. The case of the frig is very thin metal so the sheet metal screws have to bite into. Thread locker didn't work.

I called Winnebago support and they said take it to the dealer. Not on your life. I'm sure they're solution would be a bigger diameter screw which would pull loose too.

I'm really stumped on the solution. I can't access the under side of the frig case to use screw and nut. The only solution I can come up with is to use some type of adhesive to bond the plastic latch to the top of the metal case and use a larger diameter sheet metal screw. If this isn't possible, anybody got a good solution for door latches that will hold in transit.

Suggestions? I can always fall back on the bungee cord.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Use a pop rivet! Works great for all sorts of things including holding things on walls!
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers - RVM#128
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:42 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Fixed mine years ago with superglue
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

This works wonders on our fridge.

you could always try bungie cords across the front too !
Old 02-29-2016, 06:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
Fixed mine years ago with superglue
X2 on the superglue
Old 02-29-2016, 07:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I would like to use a pop rivet but I don't have enough clearance. I would have to pull the frig out several inches to get the rivet gun in there. I'm not a big fan of superglue. I seems overrated to me. The latch looks interesting.

Thanks for the suggestions folks. Do appreciate it.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I used jb weld and a bigger screw on ours (2013) it held fine (till we traded 7 months later) . Also look for velcro wraps at lowes/home depote.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:59 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Get a small tube of 3M 5200 marine adhesive/sealant. Apply to the back of the latch, and re-install, temporarily tape in place until the adhesive cures. It is very strong, and does not harden like superglue. It stays pliable, but you won't pull it back off.

Also good for many other sealant and adhesive projects. Keep the unused portion in the freezer, to extend shelf life after opening. I've had one in the freezer for a year or more, and take it out a few hours before using some; then put th tube right back in the the freezer for next time.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:33 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

We just put on bungee cords......................

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I would use the thick double sided tape, it's very strong, and aggressively sticks to smooth surfaces like a typical refer. If it has trouble sticking to the plastic latch you can roughen the plastic a bit with sandpaper or bolt a piece of aluminum to it...giving the dbl sided tape something to stick to.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:20 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

BVThunder, do you have room to install a couple of rivnuts? They are a very strong blind fastener. Much better than PK screws in sheet metal.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:47 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I ordered the 3M marine 5200 adhesive. Will have to wait till I get home to try the fix because of the cure time. Will post update in 2-3 weeks.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:40 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Looks like a common problem. That was one of the things we found on a new Suncruiser we just bought today.
sanford12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:26 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I fixed mine by going one size up and getting hex heads so I could use a ratchet to install.
Being a belt and suspenders guy I also place a cutting board secured with packing foam in the handles. I jamb a dense foam under the doors to keep the load on the hinges down while under way. We move heavy things off the doors. We move heavy thngs off the top shelves. We use curtain rods to keep things on the shelves from shifting .
Old 03-21-2016, 02:12 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

I'm curious why the latch's were needed? Was it because of the food shifting inside the 110 volt refrigerator? I have a fix if it was for that reason that we used on ours.
mnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:43 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

We have our first residential refrigerator and one of the negatives is that the doors don't lock as they do in a propane refrigerator. We have freezer on top and when we close the refrigerator door the air opens the freezer. Our Winnebago installed system also failed so we just put bungee cords on the refrig and freezer.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:00 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2014 Forza, bought new, with the Whirlpool residential Fridge and the wonderful Schwintek slides. The concern Winnebago has for it's customers is so underwhelmingly comfortingly heartwarming one could puke.

We had our two door fridge open up on our first long roadtrip, to GNR, and food splashed all over. The threaded shiipping knob was never Whirlpools intent to be utilized beyond initial shipment. Cheap a** Winnebago declined to provide a secure closure.

I've found a latch Thor provides listed on the Thor Forum here on IRV2. They GIVE it to their owners installed before delivery. If your looking for a better alternative then the duct tape we had to use, thank you so much Winnebago, do a quick search. While we are still in storage the Thor owners state it works without bungee cords, glued on latches or duct tape.

So much for Winnebago's former and now undeserved exemplary customer service, now just one of the pack. Discussion on the wonderful Schwintek slides??? We own a lemon depreciating in value well beyond typical book value.
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:30 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Here is a link with pictures of the door latch mentioned above.
Diva's Diamond...: Refrigerator Lock
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:15 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarasParents View Post
We have a 2014 Forza, bought new, with the Whirlpool residential Fridge and the wonderful Schwintek slides. The concern Winnebago has for it's customers is so underwhelmingly comfortingly heartwarming one could puke.

We had our two door fridge open up on our first long roadtrip, to GNR, and food splashed all over. The threaded shiipping knob was never Whirlpools intent to be utilized beyond initial shipment. Cheap a** Winnebago declined to provide a secure closure.

I've found a latch Thor provides listed on the Thor Forum here on IRV2. They GIVE it to their owners installed before delivery. If your looking for a better alternative then the duct tape we had to use, thank you so much Winnebago, do a quick search. While we are still in storage the Thor owners state it works without bungee cords, glued on latches or duct tape.

So much for Winnebago's former and now undeserved exemplary customer service, now just one of the pack. Discussion on the wonderful Schwintek slides??? We own a lemon depreciating in value well beyond typical book value.
the travel latches on our Whirlpool residential fridge in our 2016 Suncruiser 38Q have held the doors closed quite well (picture below). I did purchase an extra pair at delivery because I believe in Murphy.

to keep liquids and stuff that can spill we bought some fridge trays at Bed, Bath and Beyond for the main shelves and placed some anti-skid material under them to keep the trays from scratching the shelves. larger bottles of liquids live in the door. nearly 4,000-miles so far and no issues.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:48 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

RK911
Do you have any other pictures of the latch used on your Whirlpool frig. We just bought a 2016 Solei with the Whirlpool 2 door refrig. with upper freezer and lower refrig and it came with a threaded knob to keep the 2 doors shut. Not to attractive or professional. Want to do something better.
Thanks!
CFSUNRISE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, winnebago