Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2018, 11:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Who re-charges roof A/C units?

I had a mechanic top off the freon (?) in the chassis A/C ...but who could/should do the roof unit?

It works, but it's 2003... and given the level of service I have observed about other things, I suspect this would benefit. I just don't want to get bent forward in the process because I am a newbie. Thanks.

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:16 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I’m not too sure they can be recharged. Have you tried calling a local RV shop?
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I’ve an acquaintance who sometimes camps in our group. He has a residential hvac business. I’ve heard him say he has installed taps to add Freon to rv ac units, if I recall correctly.
RodneynDawnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Wow... They may be 'sealed' — 'till they leak. 'Hope not. Bircher, I called here first figuring there's been plenty of people who have been-thru-it.

Jim
Old 08-09-2018, 03:31 PM   #5
2016 Winnebago Navion 24J

Wetstuff, it is possible to recharge by soldering on new fill ports. The factory fills them to specs, then crimps the line, and cuts off the fitting. If it needs a charge it will probably be cheaper to buy a new unit with more efficiency and capacity, because if it lost freon something needs to be repaired/replaced.
MrMarog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I'm beginning to like my basement air even more.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I loved our basement air, now that we have ducted roof a/c I am so disappointed with the noise level.
I did most of my own maintenance, when I did need help, I went to craigslist to find a HVAC mechanic that would work with me to resolve my problem I had. Basement a/c is two residential a/c units in one cabinet. Once you learn how to remove the unit from it's secured location, it's not bad at all. Preventive maintenance is a good thing, I would rather work on a basement air unit as opposed to working on the roof.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetstuff View Post
I had a mechanic top off the freon (?) in the chassis A/C ...but who could/should do the roof unit?

It works, but it's 2003... and given the level of service I have observed about other things, I suspect this would benefit. I just don't want to get bent forward in the process because I am a newbie. Thanks.

Jim
Its a sealed unit, with no check ports. So no way to check via high/low pressures to see if there is the right refrigerant fill. All you can do is google search for the temperature drop table for a given ambient temperature and humidity and measure the difference between inlet and outlet temperature.

There are certainly maintenance you can do to make it work better.

- clean the air filter inside

- remove the inside cover - often the air flow holes are partially obstructed due to sloppy install or tape coming loose after install , starting to obstruct air flow. Minimize air flow obstructions.

- remove the cover and clean out the accessible parts of the roof top side of the unit, be gentle don't spray with high pressure water or use harsh chemicals to clean. Get rid of any wasp or other critter nests.

- use coil cleaner to remove exhaust soot and/or dust buildup from the outside coils.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:11 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Wow - again... Thanks for the input folks. ...and the details, Randy. Cheers.

Jim

Tags
roof