Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2020, 12:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Whirlpool Fridge

Hi my whirlpool fridge just started not cooling.
It’s only blowing room temp air
PowerVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

okay, step one is to get the details of what model frig, so let us know as much info as possible like year, make, model and even serial number if you have that.
There are an almost unlimited number of different frigs, so all the info we can get will help to narrow down the search for what might be wrong. Also if it is in an RV, that is helpful to know as there may be some electrical problems with the RV.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Whirlpool refrigerator

I am having the same problem. Model # wrt316fdm00. Freezer works fine
Raycher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

my old house fridge used to do that.freezer cold,fridge not so cold,turns out the automatic defrost element went out and the fridge was icing up.
catmandoo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:42 PM   #5

Below I'm going to discuss a solution if your refrigerator is still cooling, but not very well; or if you see water leaking out the bottom and you know your ice maker water lines are not the problem.

This is what I did when my home Samsung French Door Frig started leaking water out the bottom... which as the freezer on the bottom!

Now I know your refrigerator model is different, but the principles are the same -- if your refrigerator has "drain tubes" like mine does.

There were actually several problems with my Samsung at home, but all of these problems were caused by a clogged water tube that is supposed to allow liquid water to flow to the bottom tray, where the heat of the compressor would evaporate it.

Note: The tube on the left was for the freezer and the 2 tubes on the right, in the picture blow, are the drain tubes for the refrigerator section. (Your frig may be different, but my guess is that you have a clogged drain tube, if you don't have a failed part.)

So... when water could not reach the tray it backed-up. And when an evaporator coil freezes over, to the the point frost starts covering the thermostat, then a consequence of that is that your compressor will get false readings and your compressor will not start.

What I'm saying is this: When your refrigerator goes into defrost mode, that implies a heating element is turned "on" and it is supposed to melt the frost and ice off your evaporator coils.

This heating element is nothing more than a hot piece of metal that touches a heating plat, which distributes the heat... and it's supposed to melt the frost and ice in a mostly air tight, moisture tight, confined area the evaporator coils are housed. And it works fine so long as the heating element melts the ice into liquid water.

So then the water flows down hill, thanks to gravity, and thru a plastic tube... if you don't have a problem. ...But, when the water gets backed-up and freezes and then affects your thermostat... your compressor will not turn on and off properly because the frozen section is fooling your compressor.

The solution is to flush your drain tubes, and each model has it's own peculiarities on where these drain tubes are located.

Note: You can have the same evaporator-thermostat problems with a refrigerator that has a freezer on top. That said, I recommend you google your refrigerator model number to see what other people are saying and how they fixed it.

* Sometimes all you need to do are these things:

* Move your food to the freezer. Then turn "off" the circuit breaker or pull the power cord for 2 hours hours minimum... 4 hours preferably and mop up the water that runs out of your evaporator area.

Note: If you have no food to worry about, I would let your refrigerator sit with open doors over night.

* Then google how to flush your refrigerator drain tubes using a 50/50 mixture of chlorine bleach and hot water.

* You can then plug your frig back in and see if all is normal again.

* If your freezer starts to act up again, in a few weeks, then you just need pull your frig out of its cubby and remove the back panel across the bottom.
Then just remove the drain tubes and clean. Reinstall the tubes and see if your fix holds. If not, and you have to do this repair again, then you need to buy new drain tubes.

Note: The issue is will the drain tube rubber nipple close to prevent moist air from getting inside the frig; and then open when liquid water wants to run out to the tray. The problem is that over time the rubber deforms and gets sticky... molds make it worse.

Hopefully, you don't have spend a dime to fix your frig with these conditions.

* Alternatively, you can replace the thermostat (going in from the front) if it doesn't pass it's ohm spec. And other times, you just need to relocate the thermostat to a different part of the evaporator chamber so excessive frost will not cover it and cause erroneous readings.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drain Tube #DA97-04049D.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	179993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drain Tube - Freeze on left.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	179995  

Click image for larger version

Name:	RF4287HA Samsung evaporator TABS behind coil and drain pan in back.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	179997  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Frig not Cooling food

I changed my evaporator fan and thermostat and now the unit runs like brand new. It is even making ice, which it never did before. Parts easy to swap out.
Raycher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge