Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-14-2020, 11:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

When Basement air kicks on - everything else shuts off

07 Winnebago Vectra. When we are running off the generator and the basement air kicks on/or the heat pump...everything else in the coach will momentarily shut off and then come right back on. Super annoying when we are watching TV or something. It doesn't happen when we are on shore power. We've had the generator looked at by a cummins/onan shop and they claim the generator is fine. I'm not convinced. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
CReitzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'd make sure you have every other major electrical draw off because the generator is seemingly having trouble with startup power. So if you can run refrigerator and water heater off of propane, have them doing so. If need be, turn off circuit breakers to get the power use down, even if that means not charging your batteries while the heat pump is on.

If you have a portable generator you can plug in to the shore power cord, and a way to monitor that devices draw, (or a way to determine your built in generator's draw) you could determine what each device tends to draw when it's connected and disconnect the largest draws.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CReitzler View Post
07 Winnebago Vectra. When we are running off the generator and the basement air kicks on/or the heat pump...everything else in the coach will momentarily shut off and then come right back on. Super annoying when we are watching TV or something. It doesn't happen when we are on shore power. We've had the generator looked at by a cummins/onan shop and they claim the generator is fine. I'm not convinced. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
I suspect there is a bit of info not quite right here but we need to check that. When you say "everything", is that actually what you mean in that lights, tv and outlets all go out or do you mean only the AC operated things?
The difference is one may be a load shedder not working well or the other may be bad coach battery supply. Another possible cause if only the AC, is that the AC.heat pump are dragging when starting and pulling too much current, making the load shedder feel it has to cut other items off until the AC get going and the load from starting reduces.
Which model of 07 Vectra may also be important as options will vary on different levels of the same RV.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote