Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2019, 12:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Vista 35F AC miniRant

Two ACs. Front AC makes a lot of noise but that's about it. Rear AC blows like nothing we've ever had in an RV before. Back & forth with dealer service tech trying to reach DIY fix (they've got a 2-month backlog), looks like 99.9% un-mechanical me found the problem.

After piece-by-piece taking apart both ACs, comparing them piece by piece, it dawns on me that although the ACs themselves are oriented front-to-rear the same way, the inner covers are not. AHA! Winnebago (assumption on my part - it could have been sabotage) installed the front AC inner cover backwards. Turned it around and wow what a difference!

DW in full agreement: Much as we like Winnebago and think anything & everything Winnebago is a cut above anything & everything else, there's still something critical to be said for their quality control. This coach should never have gone off the assembly line like that.

miniRant over.
You all have a GREAT day!
DCMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Owning your motorhome will do two things:
1. Take you to great locations where you'll have a lot of fun
2. Twist your mind into knots figuring out all the problems, oddities and craziness about how it all works.

You say you are "99.9% un-mechanical". Well, that's about to end. Your dealer that's "two months booked up" will ALWAYS be 2-months booked up. So, you might as well buy a good tool set, set a bookmark for RV forums and YouTube Videos of popular repairs and roll up your sleeves.

I'm not joking or being a smart ass, either. No matter the brand this is the reality of RV ownership.

Enjoy!

PS. Use the RV a lot - that way the fun you'll enjoy in #1 above will (hopefully) win out over item number 2.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I earned that 0.1% ability with our two toads the past 12 years!
DCMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Nice find, good fix!
Old 08-21-2019, 04:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

DCMac,

I'm not visualizing those inner covers. I know the shrouds and the general design of the plenums and sheet metal but that's it.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Very well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Owning your motorhome will do two things:
1. Take you to great locations where you'll have a lot of fun
2. Twist your mind into knots figuring out all the problems, oddities and craziness about how it all works.

You say you are "99.9% un-mechanical". Well, that's about to end. Your dealer that's "two months booked up" will ALWAYS be 2-months booked up. So, you might as well buy a good tool set, set a bookmark for RV forums and YouTube Videos of popular repairs and roll up your sleeves.

I'm not joking or being a smart ass, either. No matter the brand this is the reality of RV ownership.

Enjoy!

PS. Use the RV a lot - that way the fun you'll enjoy in #1 above will (hopefully) win out over item number 2.
Mpflood is offline   Reply With Quote