Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2018, 08:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Too much bedroom heat

Has anyone closed off heat vents in the bedroom? The bathroom is easy to close, just slide the damper but the bedroom vents have no dampers. The vents on each side of the bed makes it very warm (71 BR vs 64 LR). Aside from putting heavy items over the bed, what else can I do. Suggestions please!
Thanks in advance,
Debbie and Neil
2014 VistaF
Old 12-18-2018, 07:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We have a number of floor vents, several of which are poorly placed. One blows warm air up the front of the fridge, one blows up onto the OneStop station, hitting the HVAC thermostat - causing it to shut down before the coach is warm. Of all those, only one at the foot of the bed has a damper.

All of them, however, seem to invite any small dropped item to fall inside.

We picked up a package of magnetic vent covers at the hardware store. About 10" x 18" inches, thin rubberized magnet sheet on back, paper on front, easily cut with normal scissors. We spray painted them a complementary color, cut them to fit, and they live on the vents until we remove them.

Heat where we want it! No more ShopKins falling into the ducting!

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Wasn't too clear there. The vent covers are good to keep "stuff" from falling into your ducting.

If you are running the furnace, to not cover more than about 25% of your vents.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

My 27Q has rotating baffles on the heat outlets that can be turned to direct most of the airflow where you want it to go. This such a basic and yet very functional design I would have thought that would be pretty much standard in the RV industry. Too basic for the higher end coaches?
Old 12-19-2018, 06:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Possible solution to vent/heat issue

Thanks y'all for your responses. I thought of the magnetic strips too but thought there must be a vent replacement out there! Also didn't want plastic; read a Q&A on a website that a 5th wheel had the same problem and he bought plastic and it melted!?! He's got more problems than we do! DH found a website that had metal vents with a damper, right size but seems too good to be true. I'll let you know how they do.

Debbie
2014 Vista F
Old 12-19-2018, 06:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I found replacement vent covers that had adjustable vanes which could be completely closed if wanted. The size that match the floor openings where at the local big box store and referred to as "mobile home vent covers"
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Good catch neub. Looked at them online. Do the deed and attractive. Taking measurements down to HD tomorrow. If a match, looks like we can do a complete retro fit for less than $150. Much, much less than we were quoted at our local authorized dealer. Thus, the magnetic covers.

Thanks!

Old 12-23-2018, 05:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
My 27Q has rotating baffles on the heat outlets that can be turned to direct most of the airflow where you want it to go. This such a basic and yet very functional design I would have thought that would be pretty much standard in the RV industry. Too basic for the higher end coaches?
That is what we now have. We took one OEM vent to Lowes, and matched it to ones with those adjustable louvers.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:50 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Magnetic covers

I cut some magnetic covers for the bedroom vent... from some large sheets... don't remember from where we got them, maybe the craft store, maybe a sign store... after 4 years they have begun to get cut up a bit from being stepped on, but they are the easiest way to go and work perfect. As for stuff falling through the vents, you can get little filter inserts that go into the vent that are kind of like dryer sheets with a cardboard frame and they fit into the vent hole and then you screw the vent back down.
PolarMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:21 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Register adjustable dampers

I purchased adjustable replacement registers from Lowes and home depot. As someone else mentioned, don't close too many registers or the furnace blower switch won't close preventing the propane valve from opening.
Merry Christmas and happy new year!
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 05:31 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Ditto NeuB - easy to replace.
Hardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:50 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like we will head to Lowe's! The covers that DH bought on line were to big and he will send back. At least if we can get one and replace the cover on my side of the bed. My internal furnace keeps me warm enough! Happy Christmas!
Debbie and Neil
2014 VistaF
Old 12-24-2018, 10:02 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

In my Vista 29VE one of the vents in the BR is an intake for the furnace. You do not want to cover the intake vent.
Noah4448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:05 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah4448 View Post
In my Vista 29VE one of the vents in the BR is an intake for the furnace. You do not want to cover the intake vent.
How will I know which vent is the intake? The vents are located each side of the bed; they both blow hot air? Thanks for your input!
Old 12-26-2018, 11:45 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

In my vista 29VE I can raise the bed and there is a hatch to the compartment under the bed where the water pump and the heater are located. I have vents on both sides of the bed but I can see with a light that the vent in the rear is an intake vent.
Hope this helps.
Noah4448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:54 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah4448 View Post
In my vista 29VE I can raise the bed and there is a hatch to the compartment under the bed where the water pump and the heater are located. I have vents on both sides of the bed but I can see with a light that the vent in the rear is an intake vent.
Hope this helps.
We will check this out today! And head to Lowe's after. BTW I grew up in Lynchburg and Manassas is a beautiful area of the state.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:34 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Amazing that the RV builders which make these things do not use common sense approach to systems design and implementation ain't it. Is it because we do not make then stand behind their product after we have taken the mortgage out! Are we encouraging them to be irresponsible for their product? This industry really needs to step up their game because protectionism will only protect em from high quality competition for so long.

Tags
heat