Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2020, 06:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

SoftstartRV On Basement A/C?

Anyone on the board have experience with the soft start RV unit? Allegedly the unit controls the start and running on RV AC. AC will run on much lower amps. Demonstration I watched was use on roof ac unit. My question is if they work with Coleman basement AC?

https://www.softstartusa.com/rvlife/?utm_source=RVLIFE
TallTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:50 PM   #2
Proud “No Intent” Owner

I started a thread on this, not because I need one, just curious...
The thread, kinda went sideways, as many do...

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ac-356950.html
Old 06-03-2020, 06:34 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have installed Supco SPP6 and SPP6e on two RV rooftop ACs with good results. The SPP6e costs more but is a improved design that has a backup electronic timer to further protect the compressor vs. the basic SPP6. The cost of the units is under $ 15 and $ 25. These don't replace the Start/Run Capacitor, they install in parallel with the Run Capacitor.

If your AC is 7 years old or older, then you may also want to spend another $ 20 and replace the OEM Start/Run Capacitor at the same time, as they do slowly degrade over time.

I can't see where there would be enough incremental functionality to justify the ten times more expensive unit.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Wyatt. Yes, started reading and it fell off the point of the soft start unit issue. I was asking if anyone on this forum board had actually used one and more specific on a basement AC.

FYI, I follow AZ Expert channel as he has a lot of info on Winnie roofs, and other RV tech/repair videos and he responds. So I asked the AZ Expert on his youtube channel about it. Here is what he stated to me:

"I have not installed one on a basement A/C. They are fantastic bits of tech which do what they say they do. They seem so magical that I am not sure why manufactures don't offer them. All that being said, basement ACs don't have a lot of room in the electronics bay so they would have to be mounted externally which could be a bit difficult with most of the AC installations I've seen."

So AZ Expert states they work well on roof ACs. He is skeptical of installing one on a basement AC due to limited space and has no solution for an external mounting of the softstart RV unit. I have been on the tedious email tech support exchange with the softstart tech and they are not experts on basement ac and been no help of my questions. Will it work on Coleman basement ac? Where would I install it? I am leery of buying unit even if its super if it cannot be told by tech folks where to put it and how. As of today I have to explore it at a later date and see if anyone else has it working on a basement ac. Regards,
Old 07-09-2020, 05:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Yes, I purchased and installed the EasyStart Version from MircoAir and I believe it works just like the SoftStart. I installed it on my new 2020 Navion 24D and it works wonderful. When hooked to shore power at home, I can run off a 15 amp circuit with ease. My reason for installing the EasyStart is so that I can run my A/C for brief periods off my 2000 watt inverter and my 250ah of Lithium batteries. I know currently the A/C is wired outside the inverter and I am hoping to figure out how to change that, anyone out there know?
VascodaGama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Ask the AZ Expert

I assume you have roof AC not basement AC for which I was asking. sNo person seems to think softstart or other works on RV basement AC sytems. For tech questions like yours query AZ Expert on his channel as he is good about responding and can probably answer your question.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

The Coleman basement A/C has two compressors that run in stages. First one compressor starts and then after a few minutes if needed for cooling the second compressor starts. That probably makes it difficult to install a sophisticated Soft Start system. At the very least you would probably need two.

I would install two inexpensive Supco capacitors, one for each compressor and see how that works.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 11:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

SoftStart and Basement AC

Happy New Year.
I just started researching again whether softstart or equivalent can be installed ona Winnebago basement AC unit. Have you had additional insight since your first post?

So far, I watched the AZExpert videos, saw the reply as well and talked to local RV dealer who was interested in doing the work until they realized it was a basement AC so that coupled with my not wanting to be their first basement AC customer. Just ran across an RV shop/dealer Shelbourne RV in Cleveland Tenn on YouTube that showed him opening up a Journey Express basement AC and replacing capacitors that were out.

I have a 2010 Journey Express 34Y.

Thanks for any insights.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallTex View Post
Anyone on the board have experience with the soft start RV unit? Allegedly the unit controls the start and running on RV AC. AC will run on much lower amps. Demonstration I watched was use on roof ac unit. My question is if they work with Coleman basement AC?

https://www.softstartusa.com/rvlife/?utm_source=RVLIFE
Old 01-01-2022, 12:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

No luck so far

Hi, no I sort of gave up. There are two makers of RV AC soft start units and no expert I have asked can show me how to install. Mostly because of the limited space and fact on my Vectra you have to drop and remove the unit to access....I assume if you take time you would need two, and you would have to fabricate some way to mount the unit externally under the coach.

The Texas based NRVTA guys have a channel and have posted installing soft start units on roof ac, (anyone can do that with the directions) but stumped them with installing on a basement AC. They said ask Coleman. Not a lot of help for a technical training school. Again, goal is to run the basement AC on lower amps, so like roof AC systems you could start and run on the low amp such as a small generator which is how the YT folks that show you how to install and prove it can work on small generator( RV Odd couple was one channel installing and show its low amp use)
Old 01-01-2022, 01:03 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the very quick reply.
Pretty much have been finding the same as you.
Pulling out the AC unit is a non-starter for me. I wrote the Shelbourne RV guy today and see what he will say. I am not going to rush into anything.

Brian
Old 01-03-2022, 08:02 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcannan View Post
Thanks for the very quick reply.
Pretty much have been finding the same as you.
Pulling out the AC unit is a non-starter for me. I wrote the Shelbourne RV guy today and see what he will say. I am not going to rush into anything.

Brian

Timing is everything, I just now hung up from talking to Steve at Shelbourne RV, I am dropping my Journey off to him 2/20 on the way back from Florida to have him drop my Basement Air Unit. My issue is a growling Condenser fan motor. It is either the bearings on the fan shaft or the start capacitor, and both require dropping the unit. While he has it out of the Journey, I will have him look at everything. The unit runs too good to not take care of it.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:22 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
Timing is everything, I just now hung up from talking to Steve at Shelbourne RV, I am dropping my Journey off to him 2/20 on the way back from Florida to have him drop my Basement Air Unit. My issue is a growling Condenser fan motor. It is either the bearings on the fan shaft or the start capacitor, and both require dropping the unit. While he has it out of the Journey, I will have him look at everything. The unit runs too good to not take care of it.
You are so right in that timing SI everything. He must have been on the phone with you because I just got a call back. I was impressed with his honesty and frankness in the discussion. We chatted thru whether it was practical to install an easystart/softstart in the basement air and whether he had done it/how often. The conclusions were:
- probably do have to remove the AC unit to be able to do it
- probably not enough room to install one once you look at the lack of room available next to the control board and capacitors in the compartment.
- my unit is running well so it may be best to leave well enough alone.

I also watched an RVwithTito video the other day where he was installing a new Victron inverter/converter and lithium batteries in his 2003 or 2005 Winnebago (which I have done in my 2010). Asked him what he knew since he very thorough and he mirrored Steve's comments that you have to remove the basement unit to even begin to install one.

My conclusions now
- I am leaving well enough alone and not pursuing the installation
- I's probably trust the Shelburne RV folks to work on my coach

Good luck
Old 01-06-2022, 05:40 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I will be sure to report back after having Shelbourne work on my Journey. It is so hard to find people that I am comfortable having work on my Motor Home I feel I need to spread the word when I do.