Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2018, 10:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

RV Refrigerator not getting Cold.

after extensive research and personal knowledge this is what I did to get the refrigerator working Way Better.

(cost zero) 1. Moved the temperature sensor from third on right cooling fin to twelve on right cooling fin, this allowed the temperature to go from 50 degrees to 40 degrees in the refrigerator.

(cost $35) 2. installed exterior fans on the outside of the refrigerator, as seen in photo "outside fan" they are 2 large computer fans, zip tied to the outside cover. this allowed me to lower the refrigerator temperature from 9 to 7, still keeping the same 40 degrees. they are wired into the 12V feed for the refrigerator with a 2amp fuse, I let them run all the time because I'm not in cold weather.

(cost $25) 3. installed a smaller computer fan inside the refrigerator, as seen in the photo labeled "inside fan" thus allowing the air to be distributed, hopefully lowering the bottom shelf of the refrigerator temp to 40 degree. this was a bit of a challenge due to the power, and connecting it to the fins without damaging the fins and ruining the refrigerator. I used zip ties and the "z" clips you get at Auto parts stores to hold wire, the power wire I ran up the drain tube.

I hope this helps others, because a warm refrigerator is only good for wine!

I also noticed the "home refrigerators" get their cold air from the freezer portion via a fan and door to control the volume of cold air, RV refrigerators, have separate cooling fins for the refrigerator and freezer portion, I wonder if that has any effect?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside Fan.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	170075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside Fan.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	170076  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside Wire.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	170077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside Wire.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	170078  

pobstlmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Good info; thanks for sharing.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Great how-to posting. My project list just got a bit longer.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Actually the cooling does come from the freezer, you just cant see the piping in the cooling unit unless you've had it out; they are one in the same.
The heat exchanger piping hits the freezer plates first, thats why they are so cold. They head straight to the fridge and attach to the fins. The colder the freezer, the colder the fridge since there is little or no heat to be carried away from the freezer.

Suggestion: Move the fans from blowing into the cabinet to the top and configure s exhaust. There is considerably less turbulance doing it that way, and you don't risk blowing out the flame. Theres a reason that fan cooled electronics usually draw (pull) air out, and not compress it going in.

Also, if the fan is properly installed in the box, theres no need to fiddle with the thermistor location. My fan blows clockwise across the fridge heat sink, so the fin temp is basically the same across the entire heat sync. The only reason to move the thermistor around is on the presumption of dead uncirculated air.

I can easily hold -1-+2 in the freezer, and 32 in the fridge. This in 106 degree temps hitting us this week. Moving to 70 degree temps in a few days will have zero affect on those numbers and no adjustments

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator