Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-25-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
KJD
Winnebago Camper

Residential refrigerator

Has anyone replaced the RV Refrigerator in a 2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35-U ? I am wanting to put in a Residential one in place of the RV one that came in the coach. The problem I am having is trying to find one that will fit where the original one is located. Its in the hall way so it can not be just one door. The door would not open to access the inside. The one in there now has 4 doors. 2 doors on the freezer section and 2 doors for the refrigerator on the bottom. So does anyone make a residential one with 2 doors on both compartments? Or would a refrigerator with 2 doors and a pull out freezer on the bottom work??? Thanks........Gary
KJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 03:19 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Look on the AJMadison website. They seem to have the best selection with all the dimensions(which is the key to which refrigerator you will get).

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJD View Post
Has anyone replaced the RV Refrigerator in a 2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35-U ? I am wanting to put in a Residential one in place of the RV one that came in the coach. The problem I am having is trying to find one that will fit where the original one is located. Its in the hall way so it can not be just one door. The door would not open to access the inside. The one in there now has 4 doors. 2 doors on the freezer section and 2 doors for the refrigerator on the bottom. So does anyone make a residential one with 2 doors on both compartments? Or would a refrigerator with 2 doors and a pull out freezer on the bottom work??? Thanks........Gary
Gary, how much room in front of the frig do you have? Your floorplan makes it look doable. Many folks have gone with Samsung. But, you MUST have a PSW inverter, and extra batteries to keep things cool if you dry dock at all. Take a peak here: Refrigerators: Shop By Color & Capacity | Samsung US

Rick Y
Old 03-27-2016, 02:52 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Well we just got a Samsung 18 18HFENBSR French door to replace the Norcold. It's a bigger unit an we will lose a small draw at the bottom, but with a little remodel it will fit. Having this done at an RV repair shop an in a week or so should have our RV back! Will run on the inverter while traveling.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Gary, how much room in front of the frig do you have? Your floorplan makes it look doable. Many folks have gone with Samsung. But, you MUST have a PSW inverter, and extra batteries to keep things cool if you dry dock at all. Take a peak here: Refrigerators: Shop By Color & Capacity | Samsung US

Rick Y
Unless things have changed recently with Samsung they do not require a PSW inverter. That's one of the reasons so many are in use.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:51 AM   #6
KJD
Winnebago Camper

Steve: Will you post a few pictures of it when you get it back from the shop? Would like to see what it looks like installed when you get it back............Thanks....Gary
Old 03-28-2016, 07:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Unless things have changed recently with Samsung they do not require a PSW inverter. That's one of the reasons so many are in use.
Thanks for that info. I didn't know that. I thought it was because of reliability on the road and price. I see no practical way of knowing this information except through personal experience or word of FORUM.

Rick Y
Old 03-28-2016, 08:44 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Gary, be glad to. Can hardly wait to see for myself.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:34 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I replaced my Norcold with a Samsung RF197 - the precursor of the current model RF-18. It was an exact fit from a width perspective but I had to take out an 8" cupboard above. I have 4 grp 31 AGMs, the Dimensions MSW 2000w inverter and 400 watts of solar and have no issues boondocking. Only occasionally would I need to run the generator.
The fridge cools down in a couple of hours and draws a max of 3.9 amps - the newer model draws even less. Wife says it is the best change we have made in the coach. It fits easily through the door with the stop and passenger seat removed along with the fridge door. We installed it ourselves in a day. Would recommend it to anyone. Not a lot of trimming is required if you have the 4 door Norcold.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:44 AM   #10
KJD
Winnebago Camper

Steved007: Did you get your RV back from the shop yet with the upgrade to your
Samsung 18 18HFENBSR French door in your motorhome yet?
Old 04-12-2016, 12:25 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJD View Post
Steved007: Did you get your RV back from the shop yet with the upgrade to your
Samsung 18 18HFENBSR French door in your motorhome yet?
Just came home with the RV yesterday. Here are two pictures for the install. My RV has a 3/4 room slide, the old Norcold came out the RV door and this Samsung (RF18HFENBSR)went in the same way. I had the power supply also hooked to my inverter to provide power while on the road traveling. I lost a small drawer that was under the Norcold, to make room for the added height, everything else stayed. Used the existing Winnebago hardware to fix and hold the new refrigerator in place. Used the water line to provide ice for the freezer. Used the 110v power plug (moving it to the invereter side). With the slide closed, for traveling, all the refrigerator doors can be fully opened!

A side note: the old Norcold has a small tube like insulation rising up from the propane burner box on the exhaust "pipe". It was two 2 1/2 foot pieces. The top piece was damaged from heat an partially missing. Kinda of scary.

PS if my pictures are sideways...sorry...they were fine on my computer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Samsung refrigerator (1).JPG
Views:	277
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	123900   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Samsung refrigerator (2).JPG
Views:	281
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	123901  

Old 04-12-2016, 06:47 PM   #12
KJD
Winnebago Camper

That install looks great Steve.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:58 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegd007 View Post
Just came home with the RV yesterday. Here are two pictures for the install. My RV has a 3/4 room slide, the old Norcold came out the RV door and this Samsung (RF18HFENBSR)went in the same way. I had the power supply also hooked to my inverter to provide power while on the road traveling. I lost a small drawer that was under the Norcold, to make room for the added height, everything else stayed. Used the existing Winnebago hardware to fix and hold the new refrigerator in place. Used the water line to provide ice for the freezer. Used the 110v power plug (moving it to the invereter side). With the slide closed, for traveling, all the refrigerator doors can be fully opened!

A side note: the old Norcold has a small tube like insulation rising up from the propane burner box on the exhaust "pipe". It was two 2 1/2 foot pieces. The top piece was damaged from heat an partially missing. Kinda of scary.

PS if my pictures are sideways...sorry...they were fine on my computer.
Yup. Sideways. Tough keeping food on the shelves that way. Velcro?

Looks really great. Without the ice maker in the frig area/door dispenser, as we have in our OEM Maytag install, you have more room. Ours needs the "P" trap removed because it freezes up every few months. I hope your model does not suffer with this problem.

How do the doors stay closed when traveling?

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 04-13-2016, 08:26 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Will be using a small 8" long Velcro strap on the top door handles. Freezer stays closed until you lift on its handle. Also only way to turn off, if you keep the RV on home shore power, is to flip off the fuse to the power plug in the fuse box. There is no switch on the Refer to just turn it off...like your use to on the Norcold 😘. That works for me.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:45 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegd007 View Post
Will be using a small 8" long Velcro strap on the top door handles. Freezer stays closed until you lift on its handle. Also only way to turn off, if you keep the RV on home shore power, is to flip off the fuse to the power plug in the fuse box. There is no switch on the Refer to just turn it off...like your use to on the Norcold ��. That works for me.
The upper door handle strap is a good idea. We are using a loop bungee. Winnebago installed door latches that don't work. They also put a flag stop on the drawer. That works well.

Our frig is without a on/off switch too. But, if we push the + temp button several times the frig will indicate off/off. I wounder if this will work for you?

We were so pleased when we started using this real refrigerator after so many years of the RV Notcold frig. Much more room and now our ice cream is hard! Our upgrade was a bit more dramatic than yours. We traded the rig.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 04-14-2016, 11:16 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Do any of you know the difference in weight between a Norcold and a Samsung?
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:22 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Basically the same weight, 200 lbs. on the professional install, how did they seal the vent holes in the outside access panels?
PORCHDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:56 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Very close to the same weight. Samsung is just slightly less heavy. My Samsung is in a wall slide. It has two wall vents an both are still open to the air. Will provide air circulation.
Plus side...lots more storage room. Faster cool down. Ice cream no longer will be soft!
Old 04-14-2016, 03:11 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Samsung RF18 weighs 231.48 pounds...approximately. According to their website.

Take care,
Stu
Old 05-16-2016, 06:35 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Steve, I am considering the same renovation. Did you increase your battery & inverter capacity or use the standard 600 watt inverter?
Suncruiser Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator