Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2019, 09:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Replacing Basement A/C

Have a 2003 Itasca with 6535A871 A/C Heat pump unit. Replacing it with 46515-811 which is listed as a direct replacement. My problem is that the thermostat wiring bundle going to the A/C connector plug on the control panel has an extra wire, and the connector itself has an extra wire as well going elsewhere. Otherwise, the fit seems okay and vents line up. Anyone replace theirs and had any similar issues?? Thanks
terrylogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Your best bet is to contact the manufacturer. I recall reading a post, either here on Winnieowners or on IRV2 that mentioned an extra wire or wires. Hopefully one of these posters will check in but I believe they left the wire or wires disconnected, but don't take my word for it.

Have you checked the schematics to try to determine the function of the extra wiring?
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, BobC, going over schematics now.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Here's the thread I was thinking of but I'm not sure these are the wires you were thinking of since the thermostat isn't specifically mentioned. The first mention of wiring is in post #10:

Replaced basement air with new unit - old unit available - iRV2 Forums

In any case, post #16 has the name of a technical contact at RV Products.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks!!! I'm going to hook it up without using those two wires. Hopefully, the energy management system will still work. It's 94 outside right now. Going to wait until it cools off.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

So, other than the wires, how did the installation go? I may be facing the same project in the near future once I get a chance to sort out what's going on with unit.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Copied from the website Q&A:

Question: Replacing 6535a871 with this model. question: i have two wires coming from the thermostat plug/wiring harness that have no place to go. any suggestion
Answer: The extra 2 wires are for the energy management system that will prevent compressor 2 from running if not enough power is available, like running on 30 amp plug. It allows both compressors to run if on generator or 50 amp service. Unplug the "comp 2" orange or blue wire from circuit board (either will work) on unit, plug one of the 2 wires in it's place and connect the other extra wire to the one you unplugged. This will open the control for compressor 2 when not enough power is available. see less
Old 06-03-2019, 08:45 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

While you're at it, replace the thermostat with an Ecobee Si. There is an excellent how to if you search.
Kvw613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:15 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossparkcamp View Post
Copied from the website Q&A:

Question: Replacing 6535a871 with this model. question: i have two wires coming from the thermostat plug/wiring harness that have no place to go. any suggestion
Answer: The extra 2 wires are for the energy management system that will prevent compressor 2 from running if not enough power is available, like running on 30 amp plug. It allows both compressors to run if on generator or 50 amp service. Unplug the "comp 2" orange or blue wire from circuit board (either will work) on unit, plug one of the 2 wires in it's place and connect the other extra wire to the one you unplugged. This will open the control for compressor 2 when not enough power is available. see less
I don't doubt this is the purpose of the extra wires but the basement air will run on 30A as long as there's not too much additional current draw. Winnebago equipped 30A MHs with the basement air for years (like my 2002 35U). I also contacted the manufacturer of the basement air to confirm that the replacement unit would work with my 30A service and was assured that it would, despite the 50A requirement in the specs.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:00 PM   #10
2002 Journey WPK36GD

Basement A/C repair

If you are in the area of Shipshewana, IN you might strongly consider https://www.fixyourfridge.com/index.php/contact-us
Who is devout and honest plus a "one man show". This guy knows his stuff in the community and is respected. Out basement a/c repair was $600 and we were thankfuly for his honesty.
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:02 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

How come no one ever posts a service location, salvage yard, or whatever that's located near me? They're always in the mid-west! Just sayin'.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:57 PM   #12
2002 Journey WPK36GD

basement airconditioner

I love in the rv capital so we have lots of service related businesses. However, YouTube has many very good videos on how to remove and replace the basement airconditioners. After watching the Shipshewana guy take mine out I would say any reasonably competent backyard mechanic could remove it and replace. Watch the videos. My unit worked but only the first stage. The second most its Freon so I was getting 13.5K btu instead of 27.
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:00 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

I won't complain too much, since I live in a destination-rich part of the country.