Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2006, 11:30 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I saw a piece on RV Today in which they suggested using a battery powered Weather Station with a remote temperature sensor placed in the refrigerator. This would allow checking the temp at a glance while driving down the road. Seemed like a nice idea but I'm a bit skeptical about the ability to read the remote sensor while placed in the refer. Has anyone tried this? Any recommendations for a specific brand of Weather Station.

Thanks and regards,
Old 11-26-2006, 11:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I saw a piece on RV Today in which they suggested using a battery powered Weather Station with a remote temperature sensor placed in the refrigerator. This would allow checking the temp at a glance while driving down the road. Seemed like a nice idea but I'm a bit skeptical about the ability to read the remote sensor while placed in the refer. Has anyone tried this? Any recommendations for a specific brand of Weather Station.

Thanks and regards,
Old 11-26-2006, 11:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Seemed like a nice idea but I'm a bit skeptical about the ability to read the remote sensor while placed in the refer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The sensor is in the reefer, the read out panel can be mounted on the dash panel or any where else convienient.

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 12:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We have been using a wireless remote sensor in the refrig for quite some time...works well.
Have occasionally put a sensor in the freezer just out of curiosity what the temp runs when refrig is optimum.
kellysrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We too have wireless thermometers in both the freezer and food compartments. Some types have greater ranges than others but all will transmit up to the dash area so we can keep an eye on things as we travel down the road. We recently had major cooling problems with our 4 door Norcold(eventually had to get the entire cooling unit replaced) and I am probably a little paranoid.

NASAGuy
NASAGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Yes, it works like a charm! We've been doing this for some time now and wouldn't do it any other way now. We have ours on a portable system (those that you can get at Camping World). When preparing for a trip, I will leave the readout portion on the floor near the entrance door so I can go check and see how the refrigerator doing when we turn it on 2 days prior to leaving.

Also...we have a 2nd sensor to put outside in the compartments to see what the outside temps are doing at night. This way we know to leave a light on in the water compartment if it's getting too cold outside around bedtime.

Hope this helps!
Jeanne M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:35 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I would be interested in brand names for these gadgets---I need one!! Thx.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Ours just says "The Weather Channel" on it down at the bottom. It's made by La Crosse. Here's a link to the ones we have. (if it doesn't come out as a link..just copy and paste into a browser).

http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-74058/Detail

Hope this helps.
Jeanne M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 01:14 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the great information. Seems like a good (and easy) thing to do.

Thanks again
Old 11-29-2006, 03:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would be interested in brand names for these gadgets---I need one!! Thx. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thudman I'v been using "Radio Shack" remote for years, one in refrig, and one by my water holding tank, third by hot water heater. Mainly for leaving Minnesota in the winter, and hopefully not returning in freezing weather.

Bruce
Old 11-29-2006, 06:40 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

indyrv--we use an "atomic clock" with remote sensor for the reefer. Clock cost about 20.00 @ Sam's Club and indicats time of day, day of week, date, phase of moon, temp, and remote temp. Been using it about 6 yrs-works great. Be difficult to mount where it can be read from the drivers comp but once you get used to it mounted above door or wherever I think that you will agree that mounting in dr comp isn't necessary. You will get used to checking reefer temp every time you check time of day or any other reason you check the clock. Hope this helps..

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:22 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I have a Oregon Scientific BAR888NA with three sensors. One which I place in the refrigerator, one outside, and one in the kitchen lower cabinet buy the pipes and water tank. I got mine about 7 years ago from Costco but don't see it on the website. I have the Main thermometer on the wall above the furnace/air switch. Too bulky to put on the dash. In the winter I take the main unit into the house where I can see how cold the motorhome is out in the driveway. Sensors can be moved around.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:10 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thudman I'v been using "Radio Shack" remote for years </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am returning the Radio Shack unit I purchased about 2 weeks ago. Did not place the remote in the fridge; just wanted outside temp. Distance is 3 feet (thru glass window). System operates intermittantly, mainly inop. Oh well.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:45 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We picked up a chaney Instrument model 00985 unit this summer and it works fine. I haven't tried placing the receiver in the driver's area, but it works great on the refrigerator - monitors both refrigerator and freezer. Here is a link: http://www.ambientweather.com/ch00985.html
Norm Newhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:14 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
Use the Chaney too. Works well. It's a few bucks cheaper at partshelf.com versus ambientweather.com.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 04:49 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I was at Gander Mountain yesterday and they had the remote thermometers for $9.99 with one remote sensor.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 04:57 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I have been using the Radio Shack theometer and 3 remotes for years. I never had any problems at any time except dead batteries. I now use the rechargeable ones that I use in My digital camers. I got the charger and batteries from Tiger direct. At the present they are In my house(freezer) and remotes in the MH and unattached garage.

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara
GLTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 05:29 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

I have a small unit made by AcuRite. It comes with one remote and you can buy others. It will connect with up to three. It has a temp alarm function. I have one in the service bay and one in the refrigerator. Cost was about $19 at Walmart.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:20 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Wow, chief! We got ours at Sam's too! Got 2 of them...one for home. Best $20 invested. Woodgrain clock above door looks classy too.

We saw the same RV Today show....they have good ideas turned in.

Rose