Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2011, 06:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Refrigerator Question

I replaced the cooling on my Norcold with the Amish unit. It is really cooling. A real nice unit. My question is about the fans, do they run all the time? It has been run 24HRS. and the fans are still running.
Randy Chesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Chesnutt View Post
I replaced the cooling on my Norcold with the Amish unit. It is really cooling. A real nice unit. My question is about the fans, do they run all the time? It has been run 24HRS. and the fans are still running.
Randy, I'm assuming you have a Norcold 1200 since you said you have fans. The fans should be connected to a thermal fan switch which is connected to the condensor fins located at the top of the fridge on the back side. The thermal fan switch or (snap disc) should turn the fans on at 130 degrees and off at 115 degrees. They should not run 24 hrs straight unless it's really hot outside. Attached is the video of my Amish Cooling Unit installation. In the video you can see where the thermal fan switch should be mounted.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The unit is in and running. It's the fan that run all the time. On the unit I got they relocated the fan switch. I have the unit set on 4 and the lower part of the ice boxs is about 38. Every thin would be fine if I could get the fans right.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

fan placement

The fans are to remove the heat from the coils, it has nothing to do with your temp setting of 4 or with the outside temps. If a unit is install in the RV's cabinet with a correct air flow up through the coils to remove the heat of your cooling unit, not the cavity, will cool the insides down quickly shuting off the heat source, which in turn allows the fans switch to cool down shuting off. If the heat is not being removed quickly, the inside temp setting as you state #4 would still be reached first shutting off heat source, but the outside metal, the tubes, cavity area and the fan switch area may not have cooled down because of the slow air flow removing of the heat, because all the cooling air flow is going across the needed areas.
If you want to have the fans to cycle off and stay off longer you can relocate the mounting location, but is all the hot heated air that needs to be removed being removed. Are you more worried about fans running longer or having a nice an cold maintaining refrigerator, we feel the cold is better.
dforce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #5

Remember, you are not cooling the Refer. You are removing the heat .
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Great job posting the photos!!!
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thank all of yall for your help. I guess I use to the old unit when the fan would cut off at times. It has cut of a few times. I understand about getting the heat out. I invented a special vent cover I put on when I'm at the camp ground that let more air flow thru. It is one cooling unit. I got it on 3 and it's just above freezing in the cisper box. My old unit had to be up around 8 to keep thing cool in the bottom. I will soon see how it works in the Desert. Thanks again

Tags
refrigerator