Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2007, 06:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Started to prepare for a Labor Day trip. Could not get refrigerator (Norcold)to operate on A/C, either in auto mode, A/C only or LP only while connected to shore power and/or generator power (Shore power was unplugged when the generator was operating. Activate "ON" button, get the lights and in a second or two the display goes blank, no codes displayed. You can hear it quietly "click" off. All other A/C circuits seem to operate OK.

Batteries were no lower than 12.3 volts at the time. EMS reads 1 amp with no other power draw. Operated a high amp hair dryer just to check and confirm A/C power availability at the A/C outlets and amp meter operation.

Suspicions: Battery Charger/Power Converter is kaput! I think I should be seeing a higher amperage draw just running the battery charger.

I can operate the refrigerator on LP alone. Whenever shore power or generator power is applied to the coach, the refrigerator will shut off. I suspect something is "messing" with the converted A/C to 12 V power which controls the refer.

I've read many, many posts from the archives which talk of "wacking" the transfer switch box to reset the switch, temporarily unplugging the "phone cord" from the inverter but I have not found anything that more closely addresses the problem I am having.

I located the inverter and transfer switch. Where is the Battery Charger/Power Converter on a 2007 34H? I think it may be under the front in the area of the generator.

Thoughts or suggestions are VERY welcome.

Thanks in advance. Ron

Edit Comments: "007" - I don't hear any snapping sound at the transfer switch. Waching the box didn't elicit any sounds. Don't see any "old style" breaker or contact points inside the box, just sealed components. Perhaps the breaker is inside one of those. I'll have to check the schematics closer. The outlet is good (pride of ownership since I installed it plus the EMS recognizes the 30 amp power. Also, all the A/C outlets inside the coach have power.

John, a tech at my selling dealership suggested the low voltage of the house batteries as a possible source of the problem. He suggested hitting the Momentary Power switch on the dash to possibly backfeed some current and reset something somewhere. No luck! Location of the Charger/Inverter on my 34H is on the floor under the refrigerator as someone else mentioned for another model.

tomsm, I've got the smaller inverter.

Thanks for all the help so far. I'll post the fix when things are resolved.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Started to prepare for a Labor Day trip. Could not get refrigerator (Norcold)to operate on A/C, either in auto mode, A/C only or LP only while connected to shore power and/or generator power (Shore power was unplugged when the generator was operating. Activate "ON" button, get the lights and in a second or two the display goes blank, no codes displayed. You can hear it quietly "click" off. All other A/C circuits seem to operate OK.

Batteries were no lower than 12.3 volts at the time. EMS reads 1 amp with no other power draw. Operated a high amp hair dryer just to check and confirm A/C power availability at the A/C outlets and amp meter operation.

Suspicions: Battery Charger/Power Converter is kaput! I think I should be seeing a higher amperage draw just running the battery charger.

I can operate the refrigerator on LP alone. Whenever shore power or generator power is applied to the coach, the refrigerator will shut off. I suspect something is "messing" with the converted A/C to 12 V power which controls the refer.

I've read many, many posts from the archives which talk of "wacking" the transfer switch box to reset the switch, temporarily unplugging the "phone cord" from the inverter but I have not found anything that more closely addresses the problem I am having.

I located the inverter and transfer switch. Where is the Battery Charger/Power Converter on a 2007 34H? I think it may be under the front in the area of the generator.

Thoughts or suggestions are VERY welcome.

Thanks in advance. Ron

Edit Comments: "007" - I don't hear any snapping sound at the transfer switch. Waching the box didn't elicit any sounds. Don't see any "old style" breaker or contact points inside the box, just sealed components. Perhaps the breaker is inside one of those. I'll have to check the schematics closer. The outlet is good (pride of ownership since I installed it plus the EMS recognizes the 30 amp power. Also, all the A/C outlets inside the coach have power.

John, a tech at my selling dealership suggested the low voltage of the house batteries as a possible source of the problem. He suggested hitting the Momentary Power switch on the dash to possibly backfeed some current and reset something somewhere. No luck! Location of the Charger/Inverter on my 34H is on the floor under the refrigerator as someone else mentioned for another model.

tomsm, I've got the smaller inverter.

Thanks for all the help so far. I'll post the fix when things are resolved.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

When you plug in your shore power do you hear the transfer switch snap close a relay within the transfer switch. If you do not than tap the box it is in. Some times the contact points will fuse together and a tap will brake the fused contact points.
Also did you read the power outlet your converter is plugged into, reads 110?
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FleetMan:
--snip-- Batteries were no lower than 12.3 volts at the time. --snip-- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Your battery voltage should be above 13 volts. For some reason it sounds like your batteries aren't being charged. Can't help you with the location of the charger/inverter.

There might not be enough DC voltage to operate the fridge. Anyway, the first thing I would try to resolve is the low battery voltage.

Since your coach is new, you could call Coach Net (your towing/emergency provider) and ask them if they have any ideas. Supposedly they are there for coach problems other than breakdowns.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Ron - if Winne is still using the Dimensions 2KW inverter, the charger is a part of that unit.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We have had simular problems with our refrigerator. Both times it was the control board on the refrigerator.

First time it would not turn on with a clicking coming from under the refrigerator. The control panel show a green light, but could not change mode or turn it off.

Second time, it would cool on shore power, but would not on LP. The control panel was black.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

If your batteries are not being maintained above 13 volts, that is a problem. It may or may not be related to your refrig problem.

Ron's idea about a possibly bad control board is another good guess.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote