Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-03-2019, 08:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Refrigerator fan noise

Just purchased a 2405 RG Micro Minnie fifth wheel. After setting it up at home plugging it into shore power there seems to be a noise from the refrigerator such as a fan running. Having owned a travel trailer 2018 2106FBS with similar refrigerator I never heard any noise coming from the refrigerator. Planning to take a trip to Colorado in August. the soonest the dealer can get me in for service work is a week after I return from that trip. So my question is, should I be concerned about using and running the refrigerator? Cooling doesn’t seem to be an issue it’s just an annoying noise.
kitsonkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Could that be the converter fan? Charging the batteries? Mine is under the bottom drawer under the refer. Took me a few days to get off my butt and figure out where the fan noise was coming from. I also thought it was from the refer at first.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I guess I’ll have to inspect it further. It seems to cycle on and off similar to when it needs to cool the inside. I’m guessing of course. It is plugged into shore power.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsonkt View Post
I guess I’ll have to inspect it further. It seems to cycle on and off similar to when it needs to cool the inside. I’m guessing of course. It is plugged into shore power.
That's what I thought about my converter fan noise too. I'd usually notice it after a days drive and I'd be set up at an RV park. But then after I had been parked for a while, it would slip my mind and I wouldn't concentrate on hearing it. Eventually I put two and two together, found the converter under the refer, and then realized I'd have to replace the house batteries because the converter fan would run too long too often to be healthy house batteries. Sure enough, got new house batts and the converter didn't run as often.

Just speculating tho. Who knows, maybe you have a hidden fan inside your refer OR you have an outside fan that Norcold spec'ed for their refers. It's inside the refer box above the refer so you don't see it and blows air UP to the roof vent. Next time you hear the fan noise, go outside and take off the refer cover and look or listen for a fan there.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Our Itasca with norcold has fans to duct out hot air behind unit they run when it warm outside shut down when temp cools down.
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:21 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Learn to love that fan. It helps move air past the refrigerator cooling coils and keep things cooler on a hot day. As the cooling load reduces the fan will shut off.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Disconnect Fan

Hi, these absorption refrigerators have a fan that cools the condenser coil. Although it improves the unit's efficiency, absorption refrigerators do fine without. I have opened the access hatch on the outside and disconnected the wire that feeds the fan. Obviously, the fan does not work now; the refrigerator is just fine. If you are concerned about the fan, you may install a cut-off switch in the power line that goes to the fan, preferably accessible from the inside. Then you can disconnect the fan at will, notably at night.
Rlacroix8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

That is a great idea. Thank you!
Old 07-10-2019, 05:11 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlacroix8 View Post
Hi, these absorption refrigerators have a fan that cools the condenser coil. Although it improves the unit's efficiency, absorption refrigerators do fine without. I have opened the access hatch on the outside and disconnected the wire that feeds the fan. Obviously, the fan does not work now; the refrigerator is just fine. If you are concerned about the fan, you may install a cut-off switch in the power line that goes to the fan, preferably accessible from the inside. Then you can disconnect the fan at will, notably at night.
Not all absorption fridges have fans. Only those that the manufacturer has been forced to add them to based on lawsuits. You didn’t think they did this from the goodness of their heart did you?
I would suggest that you not disconnect the fan. If your unit burns to the ground, even though that is a remote possibility, and it is discovered that the fan was disconnected then who do you think will be denied any coverage?
As the outside temp rises it becomes more difficult for the fridge to maintain proper temp.
I would suggest that you look into a couple of products. The ARP Fridge Defend product that will control you fridge and shut it down if the temp gets too high. Get the unit with the fan control built in. The second product is the interior fan from Smart Rv Products. Most residential fridges have an internal fan. Doesn’t it make sense to have one in an absorption fridge? Of course it does. This fan can be controlled by the ARP unit and it works great. My fridge cools down in two hours after initial start up so I can put ice cream in the freezer. It used to take over 4 hours. As everyone knows there are many areas for improvement in trailers. They are cheaply built.
Another unit that can use all the help it can get ,especially in hot weather is the AC unit. I won’t go into it right now but they is a simple way to increase the airflow over the condenser that will really help at the temps rise.
I’m not saying that anyone has to do as I suggest. If you want increased performance then the ideas might come in handy.
I am a person that does all my own maintenance and I enjoy making changes that improve performance.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, noise, refrigerator