Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-11-2020, 06:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Propane shortage?

I have an 18 gallon propane tank in my 2019 Sunstar 29VE. DW and I were on a 10 day trip and needed to fill that propane tank after the sensor indicated that it was empty. Now, I realize that those tanks can only be filled to 80% capacity. However, the fill station was able to only add 10.5 gallons to the tank. So my question: Is the level indicator on the service panel very inaccurate? Of what else might be going on? Thank you for any insight.
stenzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I think everything is working OK.

If your level indicator is like mine, it shows 1/3 steps. With the OPD valve indeed 80% of the 18 gallons yields 14.4 useable gallons. When the 1/3 indicator goes out (first showing empty on the gauge), it would take 2/3 of the available volume to fill it up. 2/3 of 14.4 is 9.6 gallons or within arm-wave of what you experienced to fill your tank.

We fill our same size tank about twice a year at a U-haul location, camping mostly in the SW during the winter. We usually boondock, never heat the motorhome at night above 50 (blankets are good!) and mid 60's during the day (sweaters are good!). We use the hot water heater with propane once a day (or solar if bright). Propane cooking and frig use are mostly inconsequential, (unless one bakes a lot of bread).

If DW gets cold, be sure to turn up the thermostat. Propane is cheap, an unhappy DW can be dear indeed.
D
denisd63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:36 PM   #3
RVCalypso

No the factory propane monitor is not accurate. For less than $40 you can install an aftermarket system in less than 5 minutes. https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-0...a-504001426247

It is very acurate. I generally know what my level is down to 1/2 gallon.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:22 PM   #4
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

You should have a real gauge on the propane tank and it should be able to be accessed and read. By comparing the inside reading to the more accurate tank gauge you should be able to figure out if you are getting really low or not. Or, as "gurroz" mentioned, get a different remote monitor for your tank. I went with a complete tank monitor overhaul by SeeLevel. Difficult install but worth every penny. I know all of my tank levels within a gallon or two.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:25 PM   #5
Site Team

Don't forget the old trick of pouring a big container of hot tap water down the side of the tank. Where it remains cold is where you have liquid propane remaining.
Eagle5
Old 10-25-2020, 11:33 PM   #6
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Mopak tank sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurroz View Post
No the factory propane monitor is not accurate. For less than $40 you can install an aftermarket system in less than 5 minutes. https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-0...a-504001426247

It is very acurate. I generally know what my level is down to 1/2 gallon.
I agree. They’re not perfect, but way more reliable than any alternative I’ve found.

IF you do choose to use the Mopak devices for portable tanks, get the tank rings, and DO NOT use a tank with that monitor, as we did, to run, for example, an outdoor fireplace—until the tank runs dry. We fried one monitor, as it froze solid. If I were to run that sensor on a tank that I’d use all night, I’d take that sensor off.

Other than that, they’re great. You can use an app on your phone to see what your tank is doing. If anything, it tells one you’re out of gas, when you have a little left, in my experience.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

In case you didn't know, you can adjust the sensor on the tank mounted gauge to match the inside display by turning/twisting it.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:51 PM   #8
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post
In case you didn't know, you can adjust the sensor on the tank mounted gauge to match the inside display by turning/twisting it.
Say what! Please expound upon that. I’m interested, but I think we’re talking about apples and oranges...popcorn:
Old 10-27-2020, 11:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

There is a screw under the black cover where you can calibrate the sensor so your mechanical tank gauge and the inside gauge/level indicators match more closely.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:55 AM   #10
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Ah, thanks. We were talking about two different issues. I was commenting on the Mopak auxiliary Bluetooth tank sensors. I don’t have a mounted propane tank. Ours RV has four 15# tanks, which are like the ones one would use for a bbq...

Tags
propane