Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-18-2022, 09:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Propane line replacement

I have a 2004 Minnie 31C. I am trying to connect an extend a stay external line, but onboard propane line is a few inches too short. Can this line be replaced ? If so, with what? Also, since it is 18 yrs old, should the regulator be replaced as well?
Patbwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I feel there may be some kind of confusion, either me or you ??

I normally think of the extend a stay as an added part in the line and that often requires moving the reg to get enough space. Normally that means the line is a bit too long and need to be pushed back some, so I'm missing what /how you come up too short??

But on the chance you are right and I'm missing the big picture, There is likely to be a manifold at some point in the line and one "could" replace the line back to that point with a fair amount of work, possibly and that would mean using whatever they have used like solid pipe or copper.

But then one might also flare the existing line and add flare fitting to extend the existing?

Any chance of a picture to show what and how your reg and tank fit the RV?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

A fellow camper tried to connect the external connector to the regulator& it was a few inches too short. Can you tell I know nothing about these things! I could not get the plastic cover off.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patbwell View Post
A fellow camper tried to connect the external connector to the regulator& it was a few inches too short. Can you tell I know nothing about these things! I could not get the plastic cover off.
Okay, no big deall as most of us have lots of blind spots on what we have done before.

And I have to admit that my answer was not as well thought out as it might need. So let me redo!

This is one of many videos of doing the job and it also shows me why you may need more line if it is laid out the same on your RV.

Take a look to understand what it needs and then maybe the last section ofline on your Rv is the same and does need a longer hose? Propane lines can be found in different lengths and it IS possible that would be a good way to go as the flexible part is short and only goes up and turns to connect to sloid pipe. Replacing solid is much more difficult that replacing a short section of flex!
Old 01-18-2022, 01:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

When the extend valve was on& shifted everything to the right, the flexible hose was just a little short to connect. Are the hoses all standard? Get at an rv store or propane dealer? Should regulator be replaced as well?
Old 01-18-2022, 02:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Yes, I can see that happens when the hose comes from the front and the reg is pointed to the rear, Just never found mine that way but saw it when checking the video.

So the hose being a few inches short has several ways one might work to get it to fit.
1. If doing some pipe wrench work fits your situation, black iron pipe in short lengths like maybe 4-6 inches can be found at lots of hardware, so it might be easy to just go local and pick a black pipe coupling and a short pipe nipple to extend if you have like shown in the video and the hose goes up to black pipe? That makes it easy to buy but a little more pipe wrench stuff.

Or the hose is a specific type fitting that goes for propane connections and takes a bit more looking to find but likely not too hard or expensive and that is easier than laying in a snowbank to do ??
My preferred way when not doing the work often enough to know for sure what to call things is to take the old one in and tell them I need this only 6- inches longer. Lots of times the guy behind the conter looks at it and knows before I hand it to him exactly what I want! Saves me thinking so hard!

Personally I would not change the regulator, but that is a cheaper and not necessarily the best if paying to have somebody do the labor as it is somewhat old and it can be a good move to refresh it now, rather than pay labor now and labor later.

Tags
ace, propane, replace, replacement