Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-23-2022, 08:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Propane Detector beeping

The propane detector in the ceiling was beeping and I replaced the battery, and it stopped, however, the main unit below the refrigerator is now beeping. I can clear the alarm, however, after a few days it starts beeping again.

Any ideas what the issue is? it's becoming annoying. thx
Old 02-23-2022, 08:40 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

How old is the detector? Some have about a 5 year life expectancy. Fairly inexpensive online and easy to replace.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 08:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The unit is a 2017. Do you know what the name of this is? Or what it is called? thx
Old 02-23-2022, 08:48 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Look for your model/brand here.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Rv+gas+de...ref=nb_sb_noss
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 09:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thank you very much! Very helpful appreciate it.
Old 02-24-2022, 05:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

My LP detector did the same last year, as noted they have a finite lifespan and the beep is to let you know that it’s worn out and is no longer reliable. (Carbon monoxide detectors work in a similar fashion)

If you remove the existing I believe there is the model info on back for ordering online. (I can’t remember if I bought from Amazon or here)
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/shop-s/1180.htm?Search=propane+detector#/filter:categories:Gas$2520$2520Detectors

But it’s a pretty easy swap over, 2 wires if I remember correctly.
Old 02-24-2022, 02:24 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I replaced our 3 detectors a month ago. Here is what I replaced ours with, they are all RV approved. I purchased from RV Upgrades.

BRK Electronics FG250RV Dual Ionization Sensing Smoke Alarm
BRK Electronics 1039885 Carbon Monoxide Detector
RV Safe RVLP-2B Propane Gas Detector/Alarm - Black
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 05:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Propane detector error?

It is possible the "detector" that is beeping is ,in fact, a smoke detector that is calling for new batteries. Propane is heavier than air , that's why they are usually placed closer to the floor than ceiling.
1953m38a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 07:15 PM   #9
2002 Journey WPK36GD

Detectors

My ceiling detector is for smoke - front and rear. The one below the refridge is for carbon monoxide and propane: they have a service life of 5 - 10 years. I have replaced all of them and added an additional Kidde CO detector. When I checked the CI/LP unit it was a 2002 origional and totally non functional ( tried to set it off with propane and CO separately).

The ceiling smoke detectors are pretty much standard after market stuff. The front is Fire Smoke Alarm with Enhanced Photoelectric Sensor and the rear is an ionization type.

The fridge unit is a Safe-T-Alert by MTI Industries 35-742-BR 35 Series Dual LP/CO Alarm. I got mine from Camper World for about $89 but you can get one from Amazon for less.

CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 08:04 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I purchased mine this past week from Walmart:

Safe-T-Alert MTI Industries 30-442-P-BR 30 Series Propane/LP Gas Alarm - Flush Mount, Brown
4.6 stars out of 27 reviews
$53.61Was $66.55

I wanted a brown one to be less visible for just a couple of dollars more. I got free shipping and it arrived in 2 days. Took 5 minutes to install.
TKep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 04:25 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

The unit below my fridge is the propane sniffer, I had a cracked copper line where the tube was flared behind the Nut under the fridge. I put a new sniffer in thinking it was bad. It was telling me I had a leak, I would believe it if it is yelling at you. Don’t take a chance. I was lucky and still here to talk about it.
Rgrpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:42 AM   #12
2002 Journey WPK36GD

I forgot to add in my above info & I thank TKep for the info too - it reminded me. Always check the mfg/expiration date of the CO/LP Safe-T-Alert before you buy! Some of the discounted devices can be several years old but still in new packaging.
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 02:44 PM   #13
WinnieAdven38

The ceiling unit is a Smoke Detector. May also be a CO detector as well as many are dual purpose this way. But it is NOT a propane detector because propane is heavier than air and that's why they are only mounted very close to the floor - usually under the fridge.

Propane detectors are not battery operated - they are wired into the rig's 12v house system. If you have a beeping propane detector it means that it is either warning you about propane it is detecting, OR the unit has aged out and needs to be replaced as they only last for 5 - 7 years. Replacements available on Amazon.

Since these kinds of detectors are critical for occupant safety I have a dual purpose smoke & CO detector mounted in the living area ceiling forward of the kitchen, and another in the Bedroom. Have had them both activated a few times due to close-by neighbors running their portable generators, which were apparently emitting CO which drifted in through open windows. Suggested to them that they replace the air filter and/or tune it up so they run cleanly. But was glad to see these detectors both working as intended.

Have also had our propane detector go off. We did not smell any LPG, but did notice that one of our stove knobs was not completely turned to the off position, creating a slight propane leak. Was glad to see how sensitive the propane detector was and that it was working as it was supposed to.
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 12:46 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

propane detector

We had an interesting experience with our propane detector going off at 2am one night in our 2005 Itasca Cambria. I doubted it's sincerity, since the propane tank was turned off. We fanned the area around the base of the refrigerator where the detector is located, and the alarm stopped after a few minutes. back to sleep, but an hour later the alarm went off again. What was the source of the gas that triggered the alarm, because the propane was off? However, my wife had bought a 5 lb bag of apples, which she normally kept on the stair well for the back door. However, that night she had moved them up on the floor, in a bucket about 2 feet from the alarm. The out-gassing from the apples was what triggered the alarm. We moved the apples back down into the stair well, and the problem went away.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 01:22 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

The other item that can set those off is gas leaking (Ammonia, I think) from a dying propane fridge. It happened to me and was expensive to replace. For me it was noticeable when the fridge was closed for a while the smell became overwhelming, and the detector was close to directly below.

Just a thought YMMV.
Old 04-04-2023, 08:45 PM   #16
Site Team

As I read through all of these posts, I just wonder if we should ignore all of the Blinking, Beeping and Flashing?
I guess not.
Eagle5
Old 04-05-2023, 01:47 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

If you had been using your generator, sometimes, depending on the breeze, CO can collect under the body and set off the CO detector, which is in the same unit as the propane detector in many cases. We were boondocking once, ran the generator, and CO detector sounded hours after the generator was shut down. Took me a while to figure out that it was the generator.
Old 04-05-2023, 01:40 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1953m38a1 View Post
It is possible the "detector" that is beeping is ,in fact, a smoke detector that is calling for new batteries. Propane is heavier than air , that's why they are usually placed closer to the floor than ceiling.

Several things can trigger the LP detector/combustible gas detector. Boiling batteries, LP leaks, a flatulent dog, anything that produces combustible gas.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 05:15 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgrpm View Post
The unit below my fridge is the propane sniffer, I had a cracked copper line where the tube was flared behind the Nut under the fridge. I put a new sniffer in thinking it was bad. It was telling me I had a leak, I would believe it if it is yelling at you. Don’t take a chance. I was lucky and still here to talk about it.
Famous Last Words;

"My propane detector is alarming therefor I have a bad detector"
Old 04-06-2023, 09:08 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

A story about ignoring detectors?
This was in a house way back in the 60's in Shawnee, Ks, a suburb of Kansas City.
New folks moved into the little two bedroom house across the street and the wives ran back and forth to get aquainted.
On the "big day" the new wife and kids came over to ask why she was getting great big bubbles in the stool when flushing? My wife doesn't know so they ignore it till the husband will get home!
Shortly after, they mention she is taking the kids to parents house as the smoke detector is going off and she doesn't know how to stop it screaming! It scared the kids!

As I drive in and we pass on the road, all is well but about to change!
I kick off the shoes and set back to relax, when we hear a REALLY loud boom! I look up to see the roof of the house "hovering" about ten feet over where it should be, before settling back on a heap of wood!

The landlord had a problem with the thermostat on the water heater and was "making repairs" which did not work. The water heater was building pressure, forcing air and water to come out in the cold water of the stool as she had asked about.
Flushing did relieve some of the pressure, putting off the disaster for a few minutes.

Thanks to luck, something set off the smoke detector and they left!

When the tank finally failed at the bottom seam, the inner tank of the water heater came up and out, totally destroyed the stool where the kids had been, went three houses over and across the street and as a miracle, landed in an open lot where it dug into ground about 18 inches!

It reminded me of unexploded arty rounds! Larger than most but scary?

No people hurt but the fine hunting dog in the garage will never be good around a gun!
He stood in the yard and shook, shivered, and dumped his bowels until dark.
The house? Totally lost with everything in it covered in fiberglass insulation and either broken or unable to get the fiberglass out.

Don't ignore the warnings, they may be real and trying to save you!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane