Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2014, 10:04 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Problems with Splendide Washer/Dryer

We used to have a 2000 Journey with a Splendide Washer/Dryer combination. My wife loved it. When we bought our used 2006 Meridian, it was the one item that she said she had to have. After using it though for a few times over the past couple of years, she now says she hates it because it doesn't get the clothes clean like the old model and everything is much more wrinkled than before. Has anybody else experienced this problem? Is it true that the newer model is not as good?
Old 09-20-2014, 11:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We had a 2004 combo. It was not bad at cleaning, though the DW said the soap makes a big difference. She also tended to buy wrinkle-free clothing for use on the coach. Drying was a bit of a process, she removed some things still damp to hang dry so they did not wrinkle.

Check your settings, that would be the biggest difference I can think of. Too fast spin, or short wash cycle, etc.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:03 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I have a Splendide 2000 in our '05 Journey. Works like a top. Only reason I can give for it working so well is mastering load size. Five pounds wet and twelve pounds dry.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBoater View Post
We had a 2004 combo. It was not bad at cleaning, though the DW said the soap makes a big difference. She also tended to buy wrinkle-free clothing for use on the coach. Drying was a bit of a process, she removed some things still damp to hang dry so they did not wrinkle.

Check your settings, that would be the biggest difference I can think of. Too fast spin, or short wash cycle, etc.
X2 on removing some still damp. Wife removes half damp and fully dries just the things like towels that don't wrinkle anyway. Also she uses and swears by "Wrinkle Release" that she gets at Family Dollar for about $2.25. she sprays it on dry wrinkled clothes and then shakes them and the wrinkles almost fully disappear.

She hated our 2004 single unit washer/dryer until she got use to it and learned some tricks. Now she loves it. rarely use RV park machines except for blankets.
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
We used to have a 2000 Journey with a Splendide Washer/Dryer combination. My wife loved it. When we bought our used 2006 Meridian, it was the one item that she said she had to have. After using it though for a few times over the past couple of years, she now says she hates it because it doesn't get the clothes clean like the old model and everything is much more wrinkled than before. Has anybody else experienced this problem? Is it true that the newer model is not as good?
I have a 2100XC, so I think that is what you refer to as a newer one. I really haven't noticed any difference between this one and the old 2000 I had in my other motorhome. Could it be that she has forgotten that it isn't like a normal house washer dryer?

I use Tide HE (High Efficiency) a little less than 2 tablespoons per load. Load size is CRITICAL , I have also found that using as intended (dirty clothes in - dry close out) is what gives it the nickname of "Wrink-la-nator". I now wash my socks and underwear then take them out and shake them before running the drying cycle. That works pretty well. Golf (collared) shirts I just wash and hanger dry, just like my jeans.

I do use a washing machine cleaner once a month when I do the "Dryer re-set" routine (sometimes called "Internal Drying Hose Cleaning"). It is a little bothersome, but as I am a full-timer, I rely quite heavily on the little beast and it is worth it.

I got the instructions from Slendide when my vented unit stopped drying. It was flashing codes with the front panel lights. I called, they asked questions, I answered, they told me what to do to fix it. Good Stuff!!!

Splendide has EXCELLENT tech support. I have only called once (drying problem) for a "real" problem and 3-4 other times just to ask questions about how to do DIY things properly. In every instance, they were knowledgeable, friendly, and eager to help. Every tech I talked to made reference to the fact that he fixes Splendides for a living (not just someone reading from a computer screen).

Hope this helps.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
I do use a washing machine cleaner once a month when I do the "Dryer re-set" routine (sometimes called "Internal Drying Hose Cleaning"). It is a little bothersome, but as I am a full-timer, I rely quite heavily on the little beast and it is worth it.
Can you explain the Dryer re-set routine? Save me a call to splendide. I agree they have great tech support. I had to call once and the guy was obviously a well seasoned Splendide mechanic. He walked me through a very unconventional repair that saved me $200 in parts when our wiring harness coupling broke from hitting a hard bump.

Thanks for the info.
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajuene View Post
Can you explain the Dryer re-set routine? Save me a call to splendide. I agree they have great tech support. I had to call once and the guy was obviously a well seasoned Splendide mechanic. He walked me through a very unconventional repair that saved me $200 in parts when our wiring harness coupling broke from hitting a hard bump.

Thanks for the info.
Here are the instructions, if I remember right, the dryer wouldn't even start, just flashed the lights. I followed the procedure and everything worked as advertised.

The tech did suggest that I do one cycle (not all three) once each month (I add the washing machine cleaner when I do it).
General instructions are first, but the step by step instructions were easier (for me) to follow.

When dryer fails during dry mode with LOCK, LOW HEAT, PRE-WASH, and LOW SPIN lights flashing.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR CLEANING INTERNAL DRYING HOSE

Start the unit without clothes and with the dry time off on cycle # 11. When the water stops entering the unit push and hold the start button until all the lights come on then release the button. *NOTE: If the water is not at least half way up the glass repeat this step.

Move the cycle knob to cycle # 2 push the extra rinse button then press the start button once (do not hold) then let it run through that complete cycle.*

Do this 3 times then try the dryer. **

STEP BY STEP:

Select NO dry time
Select cycle #11
Press Start
If drum does not fill to half way up glass:
Press and HOLD Start to cancel cycle
Press Start (this will restart and add more water)
When water is half way up glass:
Select cycle #2
Select Extra Rinse
Press Start and run full cycle

Repeat this two more times then try dryer
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
Here are the instructions, if I remember right, the dryer wouldn't even start, just flashed the lights. I followed the procedure and everything worked as advertised.

The tech did suggest that I do one cycle (not all three) once each month (I add the washing machine cleaner when I do it).
General instructions are first, but the step by step instructions were easier (for me) to follow.

When dryer fails during dry mode with LOCK, LOW HEAT, PRE-WASH, and LOW SPIN lights flashing.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR CLEANING INTERNAL DRYING HOSE

Start the unit without clothes and with the dry time off on cycle # 11. When the water stops entering the unit push and hold the start button until all the lights come on then release the button. *NOTE: If the water is not at least half way up the glass repeat this step.

Move the cycle knob to cycle # 2 push the extra rinse button then press the start button once (do not hold) then let it run through that complete cycle.*

Do this 3 times then try the dryer. **

STEP BY STEP:

Select NO dry time
Select cycle #11
Press Start
If drum does not fill to half way up glass:
Press Start (this will restart and add more water)
When water is half way up glass:
Select cycle #2
Select Extra Rinse
Press Start and run full cycle

Repeat this two more times then try dryer
All the above steps are correct.....I would just like to add to the post that in doing this, it is to rinsing the washer of any soap buildup. The first wash you may see a load of suds as you are doing this.....the second full cycle you will see the amount of suds diminish, and the third cycle it will become clear that you have done a good thing for the washer.
I also would like to add......use very little soap...2 tablespoons of an HE laundry soap.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

2 tbs powder? My wife uses 1 tbs of liquid HE laundy soap and our clothes get just as clean as our huge front-loader at home. She likes the new one much better than the 05 model in our 5er.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Just removed the combo unit and going to install the splendid washer and dryer stack unit,
The small loads and wrinkled clothes just frustrate us so going to take the plunge and change them. Hope it's worth it!
No turning back now!
Old 09-25-2014, 07:03 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Tried to load pics of the start of replacement but can't get them to load!
Ever since I updated iOS on my iPad i can't load pics.