Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-22-2006, 05:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Has anyone noticed the two chrome bolt heads about 1/2" in diamter about 1" apart on the left side wall at the upper hinge side of the left door overheating and starting to melt the plastic wall of the refrigerator. There are two pins in the left door that makes contact with these when the door is shut. It is just over 2 years old so I wouldn't have expected anything like this to happen already. I told someone a couple of months ago that the only thing about this Winnebago that hadn't malfunctioned was the refrigerator and furnace. I wonder now when the furnace is going to go. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 05:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Has anyone noticed the two chrome bolt heads about 1/2" in diamter about 1" apart on the left side wall at the upper hinge side of the left door overheating and starting to melt the plastic wall of the refrigerator. There are two pins in the left door that makes contact with these when the door is shut. It is just over 2 years old so I wouldn't have expected anything like this to happen already. I told someone a couple of months ago that the only thing about this Winnebago that hadn't malfunctioned was the refrigerator and furnace. I wonder now when the furnace is going to go. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 11-23-2006, 01:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Yep!

Mine is doing the same thing. It hasn't gotten any worse, but I have been very anal about keeping them clean now. I assume the contacts are for the door reminder?

I was going to call Norcold, and question them, but I have not gotten around to it.

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 03:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

UPDATe--I called Norcold (Big help tho??) and the customer service rep said to take it to a dealer, which must be the standard pre-written response for all of us. But she did say those contacts are for the heater in the left door flap which is to keep it from frosting over. The one dealer I've had a chance to talk to so far said he thought there might be a loose wire on the back side of the contact bolt. When I asked if the refrig could be slipped out a few inches and the loose wire fixed he said they usually spray so much foam insulation around the inside of the box that it covers all the wiring then sets up hard. Next he started talking about replacing the whole frig, so think I will try another shop and also try Norcold again after the holiday hoping maybe I can reach an actual technician.
John - how long have you noticed yours doing this? My coach is 2 1/2 years old and I just noticed it getting ready for a trip this summer but at first glance I thought the contact head was starting to rust. But cleaning out the frig last week after our fall trip when I looked closer I could tell the plastic around the lower contact head was actually turning brownish and looking like it was starting to melt slightly. So I don't know if it did this in a few months or if its been doing it since inception. The top contact is perfectly clean and no sign of any heat at all. I'll update anymore information I find out, and appreciate anything you find out.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 11-23-2006, 05:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

See Norcold 1201LRIM refrigerator topic. I know it is not the answer to your exact question but it is related and may give the shop an insight as to how to repair and states that these contacts are for the refrigerator flap heater. Good luck and keep us informed as to correction. Thanks.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

RV Wizard -
Where is this Norcold 1201 LRIM topic? Guess I'm a little dense and don't understand how to get to it. Sounds like what I need. Thanks for the response.
Wagonmaster2
Old 11-24-2006, 04:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Don't know if this is the discussion he's referring to or not: Norcold 1201LRIM refrigerator?

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 07:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

cbeierl -

Thanks for the help. That posting was very informative but it delt with the two pins in the door and I need help with the two buttons on the side of the cabinet. I'm hoping RVWizard or TheRvGuy will be able to come up with some answers. Thanks again.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Norcold 120l LRIM
Old 11-25-2006, 12:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Wagonmaster2, I referred to the topic of the pins on the door to explain the reason for the contact points on the ref. cabinet. It is for the flap heater. It does the same thing that the ref. in a home does, keeps the mullion from sweating in humid weather. These two services are transfering current to the heater. If a connection is bad then the contact points can get very hot. This is waht you are seeing in the discoloration of the plastice around the cabinet contacts. I would recommend the use of some contact cleaner on the mating surfaces and you should be fine. If the surface has alread deteriorated to the point of pitting then you might have to replace them. I am not sure how much excess wire will be in the cabinet as I have never had to replace any. I have not heard of any replacemnts either. I would not worry too much about a little plastic discoloration as long as the contact are not pitted and burnt.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 03:17 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

My contact looks exactly like you describe yours, and yes it is just the lower one.

I noticed it about 2 months ago. It could have been there on purchase, but normally I see those kind of things right away. It hasn't got any worse.

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:25 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Thanks RV Wizard - I'll continue to keep an eye on the buttons. The lower button is actually getting hot enough that it is sinking into the plastic case of the box. The top button has no discoloration around it and is smooth with the case. I'll also look closer for any pitting but I don't remember seeing anythink like that. Thanks again for all your input, its muchly appreciated.
Wagonmaster2
Old 11-26-2006, 05:39 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Thx for the heads up, will check ours as soon as we return to FL. Like you about the only things in this MH that haven't malfunctioned are frige and furnace.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:51 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

The two bolts you refered to are sensor for the door heater seal. The heater seal stops moisture from forming and dripping on the floor. The seal should be slightly warm tyo the touch if the sensors are working properly. I had a problem about a year ago and replaced the two pins in the door and everything is working fine now. I would check with Norcold service and see what they have to say.
starchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:05 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I intend to try a second call to Norcold in hopes of getting past the front desk customer service rep, whose only comment was "see your local dealer" and get to talk to service technician. I can tell from my conversation with the two local shops and one long distant call that with 3 different consenses as to the problem and a fix this is not going to be simple.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 12-09-2006, 09:51 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Great topic. I never knew the bolts/buttons were there. Flap is slightly warm to the touch, buttons look like they're new. Living full time for 2+ years, so I'm crossing my fingers this gremlin will not visit me!!!
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:57 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Great topic. I never knew the bolts/buttons were there. Flap is slightly warm to the touch, buttons look like they're new. Living full time for 2+ years, so I'm crossing my fingers this gremlin will not visit me!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A brief follow up...and just an FYI.... With the fridge light turned off (depress the door light switch) I measure 13 volts DC on the bolts. When the light is on there is no voltage.
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:41 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Thanks Roadking- I'll check mine tomorrow. I tried the other day and couldn't get any voltage but didn't think to turn off the lights. Also, called Norcold again, they said it appeared there must be a short or bad connection behind the cabinet. They also confirmed that everything behind the cabinet is sprayed with foam insulation after assembly and very hard to get to anything - probably would necessitate replacing the whole frig. I'm still under the 3 yr warranty which means I will have to pay for all labor. Main problem is - who to trust doing this. My selling Winnebago dealer in Arkansas went out of business, the one in Tulsa says you are always at the bottom of their list if you didn't buy from them, the one in Okla City doesn't have much of a satisfaction reputation, and the one in Wichita couldn't even order me a stink pipe cap vane without screwing it up. Called Forest City and they said they would have to check everything out then if it took a new unit it would take 4-5 days to get it, and probably 1-2 days installation time. Which means the coach would be tied up most of 2 weeks, and no living in it either during that time since the frig would have to be pulled out into the isle. I'm 700 miles away so whether to pay for 2 weeks lodging (and what to do in big ole Forest City all that time) or travel back and forth twice, which ordinarilly wouldn't be that much of a drive expect my tow is a Jeep Wrangler and that isn't much of an Interstate runner. May look into renting a car but don't know where I'd have to go to get one in Forest City. This is getting to be one of the biggest frustations I've had in the 2 1/2 years owning the coach.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
Old 12-10-2006, 04:18 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Try Camping World - they should be authorized for both Norcold and Dometic warranty service. At least you won't get the dealer "didn't buy here" shuffle and they are normally good about obtaining parts.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:54 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Thanks RV Roamer - Wonder if anyone has any repair experience with theCamp World at either Okla City or Dallas/Ft Worth? I've ordered scads of stuff from them but never had any work done by them.
Wagonmaster2
Old 01-10-2007, 03:43 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Follow-Up to flap heater problem. Used the coach for a week at Christmas with electric tape over the two chrome buttons and had no problems with anything heating up or moisture forming on the flap. Talked to Norcold again and was flatly informed I had no 3rd year warranty since I hadn't taken it to a repair shop during the 2nd year of ownership for "required maintenance", which is cleaning the burner, flue, inspecting the flue cap and such. Doing all this yourself means nothing to them, just another way to screw the customer and still advertise they have a 3 yr warranty I guess. Still trying to decide if its worth the long trip to Forest City after the weather warms up.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G