Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2022, 10:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Preventing AC from running in fan mode

Greetings Fellow RV'rs,

I have a 2020 Micro Minnie 2108DS When connected to "shore power" and using the propane heater, the AC fan kicks on to circulate air. The problem is, the AC fan is very loud and the circulating air doesn't do much. On DC power, the heater works great and is relatively quiet, and obviously the AC fan won't run.

Here's my question: Can I simply turn the breaker off for my AC unit when I'm connected to shore power so my heater will run and the fan on the AC unit won't?
By the way, on my thermostat there is; Off, Fan, Heat and Cool - so no way to turn it off there.
Thanks!!!
gamewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 11:10 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi and welcome!
Can't you simple turn off the A/C with the thermostat? I'm sure you could turn it off at the breaker but doesn't the thermostat offer that option?
Old 11-11-2022, 11:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Unless somebody has done something really " creative ", I would say there is a thermostat or wiring error!

But then I've also spent the last four hours trying to find and fix an "update" on my computer! Some folks just won't leave things alone!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 04:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Can you take a peek at the thermostat to tell us what brand and model you have. That will allow us to look at the wiring and plans for it.
Electronics is a minefield on new products, so knowing which you have is important to get the right ideas.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 06:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

All my thermostat allows for is selecting: Off, Fan, Heating, Cooling and then of course, temperature setting.
Old 11-12-2022, 06:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I called Winnebago when the trailer was brand new and was told that was normal operation as the "AC fan helps to circulate the heat" In reality, it blows the air so danged hard that it feels like cold air blowing around. The Thermostat is very basic, I'll look for a manufacturer and model. Thank you.
Old 11-12-2022, 07:12 AM   #7
Site Team

We have a lot of members with this travel trailer, but this is the first time I can remember seeing anyone mention this “feature.”
Old 11-13-2022, 05:59 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Yes, it seemed odd to me as well, that's why I called - I was still under the one year warranty. Now that I'm back home from my latest trip, I'll do some digging on the thermostat manufacturer and double check to look for a menu on the thermostat that I haven't seen.
Ultimately, I don't believe turning off the breaker for the AC would cause any problems, and when I'm running heat I won't be running AC, so I wouldn't need to turn the AC breaker back on repeatedly.
Thanks!
Old 11-13-2022, 07:11 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Just a thought here, is the same thermostat used for heat and cool or does the furnace have it's own stat? Also by any chance is your AC unit also a heat pump?
My MH has a heat pump and a propane furnace, and one thermostat for heat or cool. When using the heat pump the propane furnace will fire up at the same time
until the room temp reaches within 1 or 2 degrees of the set point, then the propane furnace will shut down and the heat pump will continue to provide heat as long as the room temp does not drop more than 2 degrees from the set point. The air coming from the heat pump is luke warm compared to the floor vents from the furnace and I can see where it might be assumed only the fan is running.
The difference is my thermostat lets me choose gas or electric heat, in gas mode neither the heat pump or the fan will run but in electric mode both will run initially.
Old 11-13-2022, 09:35 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Maybe WBGO changed the thermostat model, but my Dometic has: heat-cool/fan/auto/off. When in auto mode, the roof fan will operate with furnace on. But the fan can be set to off. If your thermostatic annoys you, it is easy to replace it.
Old 11-13-2022, 02:43 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Well, I did discover that my fan was on High. It has two speeds, high and low, so I put it on low. It is a Dometic thermostat, but as mentioned before, it only has: Off, Heat, Cool, and Fan modes - along with desired temp setting. Shutting off the AC breaker solves the problem, so time to move on to bigger stuff. Thanks for all the input!
Old 11-16-2022, 04:37 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamewarden View Post
Greetings Fellow RV'rs,

I have a 2020 Micro Minnie 2108DS When connected to "shore power" and using the propane heater, the AC fan kicks on to circulate air. The problem is, the AC fan is very loud and the circulating air doesn't do much. On DC power, the heater works great and is relatively quiet, and obviously the AC fan won't run.

Here's my question: Can I simply turn the breaker off for my AC unit when I'm connected to shore power so my heater will run and the fan on the AC unit won't?
By the way, on my thermostat there is; Off, Fan, Heat and Cool - so no way to turn it off there.
Thanks!!!
Read the Dometic manual closely. I had the same problem first time out in my 2022 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS, but found that if you toggle the fan to "Auto" mode rather than Low or High, then the AC fan does not come on with the heat. The bigger problem on mine is that the thermostat is right over the heat, so the setting is very skewed. And then the furnace stopped igniting while we were out in freezing weather... Apparently an electronics problem, not fixed yet.
cbb_37027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 07:55 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thank you! I'm off tomorrow so I'll give that a try.
Jim
Old 11-18-2022, 06:03 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Thank you! I'm off tomorrow so I'll give that a try.
Jim
Jim, this video explains how a Dometic single zone thermostat works. Hopefully your thermostat is similar.

Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 02:09 PM   #15
Proud “No Intent” Owner

On mine, there are the ceiling fan/A/C controls below the heat, icon control. The idea being that you can run the heater and it will come out the vents in the floor, and also turn on the ceiling fan to circulate the heat, or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E43E5E0F-CF69-48CA-B734-A4285E189B35.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	837.0 KB
ID:	184667  
Old 11-18-2022, 07:02 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
All my thermostat allows for is selecting: Off, Fan, Heating, Cooling and then of course, temperature setting.
I read in this you have your thermostat in the "off" position? If that is correct, simply flip the breaker to "off", that way it's impossible for the fan to run. It cannot harm anything.

I'm assuming the factory design for running the fan is to circulate and distribute hot air near the ceiling down towards the floor. That may be easier accomplished with a small portable fan.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 06:41 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, that what I ended up doing. I learned a lot from all the great comments but this is the only way I found, with my particular thermostat, to prevent the fan from running when the furnace is on and I'm plugged in. Happy camping! Jim

Tags
fan, vent