Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2019, 01:11 AM   #1
Site Team

Perfect Pizza

The Suburban Oven in my Minnie Winnie 22M has a single linear burner running fore-to-aft, right down the center of the Oven. This creates a nasty hot-strip, which makes even baking impossible. I have added a 15" pizza stone to my oven, enabling even heat distribution. Furthermore, I also noticed that the oven control is not a thermostat at all, but rather is a throttle valve; just like the controllers for the burners on the stove top. For my current ambient conditions, I needed to set my "thermostat" on 500ºF in order to achieve an oven temperature of 400ºF. Perfect Pizza is possible, given these two essential upgrades.
Purchased items:
  • FIRECOW Heavy Duty Ceramic Pizza Grilling Stone, 15 Inch Round Baking Stone, Pizza Pan, Perfect for Oven, BBQ and Grill, Thermal Shock Resistant, Durable and Safe, 6.5lbs
  • Large 3” dial oven thermometer - KT THERMO (2018 New Design) NSF-approved accurately easy-to-read extra large dial clearly display shows marked temperatures for Professional and Home Kitchens Cooking

Eagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Perfect Pizza made better?

It looks like I was premature with my last assessment of just a pizza stone and thermometer to cook the perfect pizza. Albeit not as bad, I was still getting a scorch mark right down the middle, above the oven's single burner. I inserted a bronze-colored metal cooking sheet placed under the rack, upside-down. It is sitting on the top of the heat deflector. It has made the pizza much better with a more even distribution of heat. Better yes, but is it perfect? Please see photo below.
Eagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:14 AM   #3
Site Team

I am finding that for a pizza which requires a 400ºF cooking temperature, this method works fairly well:
  • Hang the thermometer under the left edge of the metal rack, to keep it readable but out-of-the-way.
  • Adjust the oven setting to maximum <Broil>
  • Once the thermometer indicates 250ºF, reduce the oven setting to 425ºF and begin cooking for the prescribed recipe time.
Thanks; Eagle5
Old 11-03-2020, 01:54 PM   #4
Site Team

Two Stones are better than one. The burn strip on the Pizza is eliminated.
The top stone is 15" in diameter, while the bottom stone is 12" in diameter.

Tags
burned strip on pizza, cooking pizza, perfect pizza, pizza stones