Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We leveled our RV to within 1/4". This was based on using a carpentor's level. We then checked using a bubbnle level the level of the bottom of the freezer and it was not in the bubble. We checked using a bubble level the bottom glass shelf of the refridgerator and it was 1/2 bubble in the circle. We have the following questions.
1. How can we get a different result in the freezer than the refridgerator?
2. Could the refridgerator have been installed out of level? When we were camping a nd leveld the RV so that the refridgerator was level our RV was not level. You could feel it in the floor.
3. Is it possible to adjust hte level of the fridge so that the fridge and RV floor are both level?
Note when i asked Winnebego how they insure that the fridge is level they said that they do not check this and assume it it because all other cainets, etc are level.

Look forward to your answers.
Woolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We leveled our RV to within 1/4". This was based on using a carpentor's level. We then checked using a bubbnle level the level of the bottom of the freezer and it was not in the bubble. We checked using a bubble level the bottom glass shelf of the refridgerator and it was 1/2 bubble in the circle. We have the following questions.
1. How can we get a different result in the freezer than the refridgerator?
2. Could the refridgerator have been installed out of level? When we were camping a nd leveld the RV so that the refridgerator was level our RV was not level. You could feel it in the floor.
3. Is it possible to adjust hte level of the fridge so that the fridge and RV floor are both level?
Note when i asked Winnebego how they insure that the fridge is level they said that they do not check this and assume it it because all other cainets, etc are level.

Look forward to your answers.
Woolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Have never checked ours however it always works ok even with some out of level. So does your frig work ok.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I have always leveled the RV floor and assumed that the refrigerator was level. It has always worked fine. I will check the refrigerator next time I am out.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Hello Woolfy,

Echoing autofish and Wayne. Yes, the frig and coach can be different and yes, the bottom shelf can be out of level with the freezer. The manufacturing tolerances of the refrigerators and coaches could be considered imprecise to say the least.

If the coach is level, the frig should be fine. Just be careful of severe out of level front to back on the coach. Left to right on the coach is usually not as much of a concern since that would be front to back on the frig and the way the piping is there is less chance of the ammonia solution pooling in the pipes and causing a problem. Front to back on the coach is usually left to right on the frig and that’s where the problems start.

The ammonia solution pools in the piping leaving the burner uncovered. This causes the bromine (some use other elements) to boil off and then it condenses in the first few feet of pipe causing a blockage Once condensed as pure bromine, it doesn’t go back into solution and the refrigerator cooling unit is toast.

I’d pay double for a unit that used stainless steel instead of having a corrosion inhibitor like bromine. Then it wouldn’t mater if it was out of level. It may stop working temporarily but would start up again as soon as it returned to level.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I check "level" on my rig by using three doors ... bathroom, shower, and refrigerator ... I open them part way and see which way they move ... then adjust ... when they all stay put ... we are level
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I'll second MrTransistor's excellent advice on this topic.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I second Skigramp...if all the doors stay put, we're good to go.
limandlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

The Dometic refrigerator service manual says a max. of 6% front-to-back, and 3% side-to-side(looking at the door) is considered adequate for operation. A rule of thumb is; if you are comfortable living/sleeping in your RV is is probably level enough(provided the refrigeration unit is level with the coach).
You may download your service manual herefor instructions on leveling the refrigeration unit in the opening to correspond with the coach.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I have been told/advised/warned/preached to that any level condition within 1/2 bubble is adequate. Better stated, they said if you are comfortable walking/sleeping in the RV, you are prolly ok.

I have 3 levels. I use the HWH leveler lights as one indication. I have a bubble (round) spot that I checked with the bottom of the refrigerator and it checks with the HWH and the kitchen counter.

Then I have a "T-Bar" two axis level on the drivers side door and it tells me how many boards/blocks I need under the jacks to help out.

When we pull in a campsite, I look at the T-Bar to see if we are close. If not, we move. Then when safely in range, I tell the nagivator how many and where to set boards. (she does the outside work due to my bad back)

After she sets the boards, I drop the jacks and level with the HWH board. I verify with the bubble on the counter, and put slides out ready for herself.

Great setup and it only takes 5-8 minutes. If it is raining, I hold the unbrella for her outside stuff. I love to get rained on.
lawdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Lawdude, nice set up you have there for finding and obtaining level for the coach. I especially like the wife and blocks proceedure. Question, where did you find a wife like that?

Dieselclacker
Old 12-01-2008, 06:34 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

"Question, where did you find a wife like that? "

Not only that, she had me and our 2 kids in college at the same time and was sole support then and when I got my undergrad degree. She is a fantastic cook and never (hardly) gets mad.

From good, solid German Stock and great lady. How she puts up with me is still undergoing analysis.

lawdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:24 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

I also use the door method to level our MH, works fine.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote