Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2015, 12:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Ok, who knows about Microwave/Convection ovens?

Ladies and Gents,
The moderator(s) may move this but, I thought it to be an appropriate place for my issue. We have an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. It's equipped from the factory with a Sharp Carousel Microwave/Convection oven, model R1874, Stainless Steel. The unit, like the coach, is around 11 years old.

It's been working flawlessly ever since we acquired the coach, approximately 4 years ago. However, on a recent trip, we went to use it and, something's amiss with maybe the "timer" in the cooking operations. No matter what type of cooking you're doing, either micro-wave or, convection, it will only run for around 59 seconds, then it shuts off.

If you've set a timer for either way of cooking, say for, 20 minutes or so, and hit start, it will only run the timer part for around 59 seconds and then shut off. But, if you push the start button on the key pad at the time it shuts off, it will continue the count-down of the original amount of time and, it will hold whatever heat setting you've programmed. Obviously that's a bit annoying if you're trying to do other things while the oven is supposed to taking care of it's own timing operation, if you have to stand there and keep pushing the START button on the key pad.

Has anyone experienced this phenomena? Does anyone have any sort of repair or, maintenance experience on either small appliances or, maybe even this particular model? I'd surely appreciate your assistance here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I don't have any personal knowledge, but I've seen reports of this problem before. Here's a quote from an earlier posting:

"The 59 second problem is completely different and involves the Sharp Microwaves. That symptom is where the microwave will work for 59 seconds and then turn off. The fix for the 59 second problem is to replace the damper board."

Good luck.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Here are some possibly useful links:

Sharp R-1874 shuts off after 59 seconds - Fixya

Take a look at this thread: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/shar...val-63669.html

Old 07-24-2015, 03:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Chris,
Wow! As usual, you outstandingly come through with either paperwork or, PDFs, or, instructions on something I'm working or, having an issue with. I thought this was going to be one of my "this type of thing only happens to me" type things but, apparently not. I will look more deeply into the previous posts and, instructions on removal of the Microwave/Convection oven and, check into the possible needed parts. I want to thank you immensely for this information.

I was just about to go out and, start to figure out how to remove it and, take it to a local appliance repair facility. I always like fixing things myself so, this will be waaaaaaaaaaay cool if I can fix this issue. Thanks again.
Scott
Old 07-24-2015, 07:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Scott,

Take it to your trusted CAT dealer, have them hook it up to your OBDII port and they should be able to download any error codes your microwave/convection oven threw off. They should be stored in memory.

Once you have the error codes, take it to your trusted microwave/convection repair center, and they should be able to provide corrective action.

Good luck and happy motorhoming, my friend.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:21 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Just go out and buy a new one, after 11 years of every day use, what do you expect ?
BTW, have you kept a portable computer that long ?
Good luck !
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Get the model of your microwave/convection oven and do a google search on how to change the motor. You will probably find hits on Youtube, I found one I posted to another forum about ~6-8 months ago, they provide the make/model of their unit. It was an easy fix, you may not have to remove the unit to replace the motor.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
Scott,

Take it to your trusted CAT dealer, have them hook it up to your OBDII port and they should be able to download any error codes your microwave/convection oven threw off. They should be stored in memory.

Once you have the error codes, take it to your trusted microwave/convection repair center, and they should be able to provide corrective action.

Hey Don,
I surely thank you for contributing to my dilemma here. However, I do have one question though. I don't think the 120VAC system in the house part of the coach is in any way, tied into the OBII system is it? I mean, as far as I know, that 9 pin OBII diagnostic port on both ends of the coach, is strictly for engine/trans/ABS/Chassis operations, not house and appliance operation, correct?
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by normandlegra View Post
Just go out and buy a new one, after 11 years of every day use, what do you expect ?
BTW, have you kept a portable computer that long ?
Good luck !
Normandlegra,

Well Sir, in some ways I'd agree with you. But, based on the responses I've had to this post, I've been lead to many folks that have had the same exact issue, with almost the same exact Sharp units and, about 99.99% of them have purchased the same exact parts which, have resulted in more life of that $550.00 unit. I mean, what the heck, it's worth it to me to shell out a mere $40-$60 for parts to extend the service life of this unit. By the way, this unit by far, is in no way, an "every day use" appliance.

Even when camping, we sometimes go a day or two without even touching the thing. If I was working on our home unit, and it was this old, I'd maybe jump right down to the Microwave store and see what's new and exciting. But, being that in all reality, this unit has very little time on it, I think it will be fine with the addition of a few new parts. And by the way, I do keep a laptop around for usually a minimum of 6-7 years at time. Thanks for your input here.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Get the model of your microwave/convection oven and do a google search on how to change the motor. You will probably find hits on Youtube, I found one I posted to another forum about ~6-8 months ago, they provide the make/model of their unit. It was an easy fix, you may not have to remove the unit to replace the motor.
jacwjames,
I thank you too Sir for your help here. So far, as you most likely read, I've had lots of help here on this issue. Some PMs even as to recent part numbers and such. I will check into You-tube to see if I can find any filmed versions of the replacing of the parts in question.
Scott
Old 07-24-2015, 09:27 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Scott,

Pusherman my man... the microwave has nothing to do with CAT or CUMMINS dealers at all...
A microwave is an appliance just like a fridge or a can opener !
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:29 PM   #10
JWmAustin

OBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Hey Don,
I surely thank you for contributing to my dilemma here. However, I do have one question though. I don't think the 120VAC system in the house part of the coach is in any way, tied into the OBII system is it? I mean, as far as I know, that 9 pin OBII diagnostic port on both ends of the coach, is strictly for engine/trans/ABS/Chassis operations, not house and appliance operation, correct?
Scott

Normandlegra,

Well Sir, in some ways I'd agree with you. But, based on the responses I've had to this post, I've been lead to many folks that have had the same exact issue, with almost the same exact Sharp units and, about 99.99% of them have purchased the same exact parts which, have resulted in more life of that $550.00 unit. I mean, what the heck, it's worth it to me to shell out a mere $40-$60 for parts to extend the service life of this unit. By the way, this unit by far, is in no way, an "every day use" appliance.

Even when camping, we sometimes go a day or two without even touching the thing. If I was working on our home unit, and it was this old, I'd maybe jump right down to the Microwave store and see what's new and exciting. But, being that in all reality, this unit has very little time on it, I think it will be fine with the addition of a few new parts. And by the way, I do keep a laptop around for usually a minimum of 6-7 years at time. Thanks for your input here.
Scott

jacwjames,
I thank you too Sir for your help here. So far, as you most likely read, I've had lots of help here on this issue. Some PMs even as to recent part numbers and such. I will check into You-tube to see if I can find any filmed versions of the replacing of the parts in question.
Scott
No it's not OBD. I will pm you on details.
Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:46 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Hey Don,
Scott
Scott
Scott, you are absolutely correct. There is no connection between the 120V side and the 12V OBDII diagnostic port, and it is as you state, it is strictly for engine/trans/ABS/Chassis operations.

I was looking for the next fun post which stated 'they took their coach to the engine manufacturer to diagnose their microwave from their diagnostic port' and see what the engine manufacturer service organization's response would be .

I know, I'm bad . But hey, you still owe me a nickel.

Don
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:33 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Scott, you are absolutely correct. There is no connection between the 120V side and the 12V OBDII diagnostic port, and it is as you state, it is strictly for engine/trans/ABS/Chassis operations.

I was looking for the next fun post which stated 'they took their coach to the engine manufacturer to diagnose their microwave from their diagnostic port' and see what the engine manufacturer service organization's response would be .

I know, I'm bad . But hey, you still owe me a nickel.

Don
Don,
Ok, you got me there. Chuckle. The next time we meet, you get the nickel, and interest, 10 cents.
Scott
Old 07-26-2015, 09:28 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Ok,
Progress! I got the Microwave/convection oven off the wall and, out of the coach. Due to the nice folks who've added links of older threads on this dilemma, it was nice to know that this problem is common of Sharp units in our era. Not that folks having problems with their appliances is nice, that's not what I meant. It's just nice that, the apparent problems are easy to deal with.

So, the Micro is a on the bench and, I have the dampener motor and, micro switch out. The part number for the motor is identical to one that other folks have ordered. However, the part number for the micro switch varies a little but, in pictures, those different part numbers and switches, all look the same.

So, based on the fact that, each and every one that has had the 59 second problem with their Sharp units, and has ordered the same parts to correct the issue, has had 100% perfect results, for usually around $40.00 or less.

So, the order is in for a new dampener motor and, control switch.
Scott
Old 08-03-2015, 07:03 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Yahooooooooo, all fixed, thanks again to folks on here who've taken the time to either help directly or, attach links that lead me to the correct procedure to get in there and perform surgery. The new little damper motor and control switch arrived a couple of days ago and, due to the fact that we had company, I couldn't install them just then.

So, I jumped in there today and replaced both. I plugged the Sharp unit in and, slipped in a cup of water to do a bench test. Hit the timer for "2.00" minutes and, hit start. It went right on past the 1.01 (predicted stop for the old damper motor) time and kept on counting down, right to ZERO, YAHOOOOOOOO!

Well, we'll see how long it lasts. I know and realize that it, along with everything else in this beautiful coach is close to 11 years old so, hopefully it will keep on tickin' like the old "Timex" commercial. Thanks again for all the help.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040392.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	102005   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040394.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	102006  

Old 08-04-2015, 07:02 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Good job, Scott!

Old 08-05-2015, 03:45 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Fire Up
Can you confirm for me the part #'s and which vendor you purchased your parts. I'd like to have mine in hand before failure.

Thank you.
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote