Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-31-2020, 08:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Norcold Refrigerator

Today I acquired a 2002 Itasca Horizon 34 foot diesel pusher from an individual.
When I made a test drive before purchase, I did not check the two door Norcold refrigerator.
When I got it home I turned the fridge on, the 'on' light illuminated when I pressed the 'on' button. I set the mode to AC, set temp to 8 and left it on for 3 hours.
It did not cool at all~no temp change in the freezer.
I don't know if this year model requires the Norcold safety modification, but it doesn't appear to have it installed.
I don't have LP in the tank so couldn't try that.
Any helpful hints on what to check?
Bill Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Were there any "trouble codes" that appear on the lighted panel? Did you check the refrigerator 110v breaker, and are you plugged in? When you open the door does the light come on?

On the out side open the access door. There may be a small box type unit clipped to one of the cooling coils. The box is about 2 in square. If you see a red light it needs to be reset, no light its ok. Take the cover off the control board check the two fuses to make sure they are ok.

I have done the same on my 07 and on our month long trip half way through the frig. gave out. No fixing need to replace, called JC Refrigerating and am going to install this week their HVSC 120v replacement unit.

Good luck on yours
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Three hours isn't really enough to see much cooling inside as there are lots of external components that need to heat up as well as internal coils that need to cool before you see any cooling on the inside surfaces. Try it for at least 8 hours.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
Three hours isn't really enough to see much cooling inside as there are lots of external components that need to heat up as well as internal coils that need to cool before you see any cooling on the inside surfaces. Try it for at least 8 hours.

David
This ^ and it will not turn on if the saftey recall switch is tripped
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

This MAY be of help ,
But shipping may not be a good option
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...it-358278.html
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I don't think it has the recall installed . . .
Old 09-02-2020, 04:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

If its on and the board lights up where you can set the temp leave it run a couple days and see if it cools.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Well, it got cold after several hours, so I guess I was just in too much of a hurry . . .
Old 09-04-2020, 07:49 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I always turn mine on a couple days before loading it if possible.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:07 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks - I'm learning . . . ☺
Old 09-04-2020, 11:38 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataska View Post
I always turn mine on a couple days before loading it if possible.
I've always found that mine cools down faster on LPG than on 120V shore power, so keep that in mind once you get your tank filled.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:25 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Myers View Post
Today I acquired a 2002 Itasca Horizon 34 foot diesel pusher from an individual.
When I made a test drive before purchase, I did not check the two door Norcold refrigerator.
When I got it home I turned the fridge on, the 'on' light illuminated when I pressed the 'on' button. I set the mode to AC, set temp to 8 and left it on for 3 hours.
It did not cool at all~no temp change in the freezer.
I don't know if this year model requires the Norcold safety modification, but it doesn't appear to have it installed.
I don't have LP in the tank so couldn't try that.
Any helpful hints on what to check?
A trick I follow when starting the fridge up is to start it with propane and only switch to 110v once it is at the correct temperature. Propane is much more efficient at the initial cooling process and most of the time 110v is good for maintaining.
Ksean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:26 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2003 Horizon. My fridge had the update. There was a small box type unit clipped to one of the cooling coils. The box is about 2 in square. if the red light was on, the unit needed to be reset by rubbing a magnet on the box until the light went out. We ended up replacing our refrigerator. The cost of a new double door refrigerator is outrageous, about $5K. Then it won’t fit through the door so they will have to remove one of the large windows to get the refrigerator into the unit making installation outrageous. I searched online and found replacement parts for the refrigerator. I wish I had tried that route before spending so much to have the refrigerator replaced. Good luck
Bob R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 01:38 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
Were there any "trouble codes" that appear on the lighted panel? Did you check the refrigerator 110v breaker, and are you plugged in? When you open the door does the light come on?

On the out side open the access door. There may be a small box type unit clipped to one of the cooling coils. The box is about 2 in square. If you see a red light it needs to be reset, no light its ok. Take the cover off the control board check the two fuses to make sure they are ok.

I have done the same on my 07 and on our month long trip half way through the frig. gave out. No fixing need to replace, called JC Refrigerating and am going to install this week their HVSC 120v replacement unit.

Good luck on yours
You reset. It with a magnet. Hold the magnet on the box may take up to 90 seconds you'll here a click then it's ok and running.
Frobogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:10 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Fridge cooldown on AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Myers View Post
Well, it got cold after several hours, so I guess I was just in too much of a hurry . . .
Glad to hear you're fridge is cooling. It does take a really LONG time to cool down on AC power. I usually start mine up on LP, then change to AC after it gets down to the set temperature.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:12 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

This model most likely has the recall kit installed. Good to be aware of, as they do fail.
nownzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:31 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I always start the frig on electric for a day to get it cooled down. I do not switch it to propane until after i have been on the road for at least half an hour. other wise i will have to use the magnet to reset it. Have not had a problem since doing it that way for 4 years.
becken63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:03 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Mine worked for 9 years and then didn't. The black box is known to bite the dust. I figured it was the box because the power went in and didn't come out. Can't get the part on line because it's a safety recall. RV had been at the dealer for two weeks now waiting for the part to come in ��
nownzen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold, refrigerator