Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2020, 01:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Norcold N842-IM stopped working

Over the weekend, we took our 2001 Winne Adventurer out and the refrigerator stopped working. It worked at the house while plugged in to shore power, worked on the road running in AU mode and initially worked when we plugged in at the RV park, then stopped.
I have no power to the control/on/off pad on the front of the unit. I checked the circuit breaker, good. I checked the plug-in near the back on the unit and it is good. I then opened the power board cover to ensure the 5 amp and 15 amp fuses are functional, they are good (only have 5 and 15 amp, there is no 30 amp on the board).
Now, I'm stumped, other than possible a power board failure... Any ideas???
ChadO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 03:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

When you checked the plug at the back of the frig and say it is good, do you mean it tests with meter or just that it is plugged in?
Got a meter on hand to test that the power is actually getting to the frig? Lots of little points where it might not be getting there, so a meter is the better way to test. I would start at testing the power on those fuses to see if I could spot any that are not getting power.
But it is also quite common for some of the wires to become corroded and look good but not make contact. One way to deal with that is to take any connections loose a bit and then tighten them as well as sliding any quick connects around a bit to rub off any corrosion. Also check anything that looks like a ground to the board as a loose ground also opens the circuit.
Kind of a quick and dirty "maybe this helps" move but it does work sometimes.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I plugged a vacuum cleaner into the plug in and it ran fine. I assumed a vacuum would pull about as much or more amperage than a refrigerator. Now that I'm home and have multi-meter, I'll check to see in 120V is being measured. Then I'll start testing points on along the wiring diagram to see if I can isolate the issue.
Thanks Richard!!
Old 06-17-2020, 05:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Sounds like the vac did what you needed.
That's where trying to give any advise can get in a mess as some really do not understand while others might think it offensive to tell them to plug something into an outlet!
What I find sometimes is that things are easier to find the problem when they look like they are totally blown up, like your frig doesn't want to even light up. Since the lights don't light up, without looking at any info, it might occur to me that there is a small fuse inline to the lights/controls up front, making the controls out, so the whole thing looks dead.
I did find a manual with troubleshooting for display not lighting up on page 12 here:
https://www.liveworkdream.com/wp-con...coldmanual.pdf
Seems to indicate it might be a 12 volt DC problem?
Old 06-17-2020, 08:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Richard!!

I'm done working on this for today, but will definitely take a look over the next couple of days.

Again, thank you!
Old 06-19-2020, 05:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Richard, thank you for sharing the troubleshooting manual! I think i have it narrowed down to the display panel on the front of the refrigerator. Fingers crossed!

Thank you for the help!
Chad O.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Sounds good!
Old 06-28-2020, 11:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

The control panel operates off the 12 Volt DC circuit so you need to verify the 12 volt DC feed to the refrigerator. If it was simply that no 120 volt AC was available at the outlet then the refrigerator would automatically switch over to gas operation if there was 12 volts available. The eyebrow panel on the front of the refrigerator and the control board on the back operate off the 12 volt battery or the 12 volt converter, only the electric heat element works on 120 volt AC current. You may find that one of the 12 volt pop-up breakers above the microwave may have tripped or may have failed. I've had a few go bad on my 2001 Adventurer 35U. If the control board or eyebrow panel has failed I would seriously consider a replacement from Dinosaur Boards.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I'm not sure if your fridge is the same as mine, i have an 04 journey????

Anyway on my one there is a control panel rear of fridge,access from the outside panel.

Inside that control panel there are two fuse. One is glass type i believe is 120v and the other is the same as you have in your car two leg type 12v

Again i am not sure if your fridge is the same?

My one was also involved in a recall and my recall module failed twice.

Just thought i would mention it?
Dave9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:32 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Circuit board neaded reset

Sounds like you nead to reset the gas valve reset in the circuit board. Ground out the "19 plug on the multi plug in. Ground it untill you hear it reset. Google it to see what I'm talking about.
Barny750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:30 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Bingo Richard!! Troubleshot down to needing a new display panel. Ordered and plugged it in today, that was it!

Thanks for sharing the troubleshooting guide and all the input!!����������������

Tags
norcold