Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Red face Norcold N822 Flashing Display

The control board went bad. My RV service dealer replaced the board twice with a new one from Norcold. Now the LED display on the front control panel is blinking no matter what mode I select. The Auto and AC LEDs blink when turning the unit On then just the Auto LED continues to blink. AC and 12v power checks OK. The burner turns on when switched to propane. The serviceman says the unit is running in Backup Mode. What could be the problem? Thanks in advance
AZRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

This might be helpful. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncoldnnewnseries.pdf

I think the fault codes on page 11 will get you started.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

To Mark & Nancy, thank you for the quick response & the pdf file. It will come in handy.
However, the refrigerator is ON and is cold - both freezer and refrigerator compartments.
LED 5 - (Auto) is blinking - all other LEDs are off.
If I set the mode to AC, LED 1 (AC) is blinking - all other LEDs are off.
If I set the mode to LP, LED 3 (LP) is blinking - all other LEDs are off.
I will use the pdf file to further research the problem.
My RV Service shop said Norcold told me to try plugging the AC cord into a regular house outlet. I did. No change.
My RV Service shop said Norcold has a different board with wires(?) that we should try. They will order it out.
I will keep all of you posted.

Ron & Barb (plus Muffy)
2005 Winnebago Voyage 35D
Old 09-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRon View Post
To Mark & Nancy, thank you for the quick response & the pdf file. It will come in handy.
However, the refrigerator is ON and is cold - both freezer and refrigerator compartments.
LED 5 - (Auto) is blinking - all other LEDs are off.
If I set the mode to AC, LED 1 (AC) is blinking - all other LEDs are off.
If I set the mode to LP, LED 3 (LP) is blinking - all other LEDs are off.
I will use the pdf file to further research the problem.
My RV Service shop said Norcold told me to try plugging the AC cord into a regular house outlet. I did. No change.
My RV Service shop said Norcold has a different board with wires(?) that we should try. They will order it out.
I will keep all of you posted.

Ron & Barb (plus Muffy)
2005 Winnebago Voyage 35D
this info was posted in another forum. i was told that it is relevant for the n82 series also.
did you reset fault memory and the control board?

Posted June 18, 2008 07:38 PM Hide Post
I was given the following procedure from a service tech to erase stored fault memory from my Norcold Refrigerator Model N64. It has worked several times!
- Turn "On/Off" to turn on
- Press "Temp Set" & "Mode" at same time to display "1"
- Press "Mode" to go to screen "6", "Er" should display
- Press and hold "Temp Set" until "CL" displays, then release
- Wait five seconds and press and hold "Temp Set" until "Er" displays, then release
- Press "On/Off" to turn off
Press "On/Off" to turn on
TO RESET CONTROL BOARD, SHORT PIN 15 TO GROUND???
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Dan,
That procedure sounds similar to what we used to do to reset the board on the Norcold 1200 that was (was is the key word here) in our coach. If it had the same error 3 times such as door open or not level it would stick in error mode. The short pin 15 to ground was on the circuit board. You had to shut it off, unplug it, get to the back from the vent panel and touch a wire from a connector pin to ground such as a screw into metal. I believe what this did was to drain voltage from a chip on the board so it would lose memory and clear the code. This was only if the instructions using the controls on the front did not reset it. BTW Dinosaur after market boards for them com with a reset button.

Like many others after a lot of fooling around with the Norcold we removed it and went to a residential type fridge.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks to everyone for the great information. While I can do what was suggested, I will have my RV dealer do this as they want to know what will resolve this as well. The Dinosaur board will probably be our next attempt if your suggestions and/or the new board doesn't work. I will post an update asap.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Smile Finally Fixed

Norcold sent a completely different control board with corresponding wiring. This board did fix the problems. Now everything is working properly in the refrigerator.
It was a bit trying to get this done. 6 weeks and 3 control boards plus a new thermistor.
I hope my experience helps someone else having a similar problem.
My service center here in the Phoenix area is Little Dealer, Little Prices. They worked with me and Norcold to get this problem solved and there were no extra charges. I highly recommend them if you need service in my area.

Tags
norcold