Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2020, 12:02 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Norcold N611 / Not Cycling Off Using Propane

Hello;

I recently discovered a couple of issues with my Norcold N611, OEM on my 2005 motorhome.

First issue is while running on propane, it doesn't seem to cycle off and on once reaching proper temperature. The freezer went down to -10 to -15 degrees. While I don't actually know what temperatures are considered normal, I did notice that it didn't cycle. Hearing it run on propane, it's easy to know it's running but don't actually know if it cycles properly on electric mode due to how quiet it runs. Temperature door setting was number 3. How does this Norcold control temperatures? (I did read about the 'thermistor', which is one element of controlling temperatures. Ordered one since it's so inexpensive.)

Second issue is that it's taking repeated efforts to have it run on propane. I can hear the igniter and burner but it shuts off after 15 seconds. (Burner box is clean.) It might take 4-7 times for the refrigerator not to shut down. (Both lights flash off and on, no error codes.) I also noted that while running on propane and started generator, it switched over to electric. Ran for a few hours and when generator was shut down, the refrigerator didn't transfer over to propane. (Flashing light.) Cycled one time and it then ran properly on propane.

At the moment, I'm not trusting the refrigerator at all and it's an integral appliance when traveling and camping.

Suggestions on what I should look for, clean, replace, smack with a large hammer?

Thank you. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Both sound kind of like they might both be a problem with the propane solenoid valve not working. Possibly sticking or it could be that the signal is not getting to it. It takes a bit of getting used to what the normal frig operation is, so that we can spot when it is not but this is what I might expect to find, fi you want to do some looking.
Best to get the exact troubleshooting by looking online for the manual for your exact model as there are points which differ but this might be a quickie for start.
If you can get an assist from somebody, while you are at the panel on back of the frig, have then turn it to propane. That should light the pilot light and you see a small flame come on around a metal rod looking thing. This rod has to heat for a bit and when it does, it sends a signal to the gas solenoid to open and you should hear a click when it openflow, where the gas is lit by the pilot light! Id the solenoid as a big bulge along the gas line before the line goes into the space under the frig.
This is set for safety to keep the main gas valve from opening if the pilot is not working.
But it can fail for several reasons. If there is not 12VDC to the frig, the controls don't work but since it seems to be trying, I move on. If the pilot light doesn't light, it shuts down and after "x" number of tries will not try more. But if the pilot lights, it has to be so that it heats the metal rod gizmo. The flame can get knocked out of position or the thermocouple can be bad and not send the signal to the solenoid. If that is all okay to that point, you should hear or feel the solenoid click and open.
Lots of small points that all have to happen to make it light and stay lit, but since you did have it get too cold, one might guess this is okay but then if the solenoid doesn't close when it is supposed to, it just keeps getting colder!
There is an online posting about testing the thermostat/ thermocouple from inside the frig if you have meter?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold, propane