Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2021, 05:38 PM   #1
Richandaddie

Norcold Ice Maker

First off sorry if this is in an older thread but I am new to this blog and a new owner of a Winnebago. We have a 2015 Itasca Sunova and just spent a long weekend on a shakedown trip to make sure everything worked. Everything has been fine except suddenly our ice maker stopped making ice. The fridge and the freezer are working fine, water supply and electric on shore power OK, the ice maker bar is in the down position but nothing is happening. We had ice for the first 2 days but now it has stopped completely. Our Fridge is a Norelco 1211IM. I read that this could be an issue with the solenoid or just the whole ice maker might need replacing. Is the solenoid part of the main assembly or something separate that I could access? Looking for some troubleshooting tips here.
richbam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 03:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

The solenoid is on the rear of the frig. you can get to it through the outside panel. Make sure you have power going to the solenoid, you could have a problem with the control board thats also on the back of the frig.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:30 PM   #3
Richandaddie

Thanks!

Do you have any advice on how to test the solenoid, assuming I can find it from the outside of the coach. Sorry for dumb question. This is all new to me!
Old 03-31-2021, 08:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Testing a solenoid is pretty easy but does often take a bit of thought and the correct meter.
Sounds like it may be something you are not familiar with so maybe some explanation first? Sorry if I'm telling you things you already know but there are apt to be others who may not, so here is the short course!

There are water and gas solenoids on our RV and they both work the same in that they are just valves (gates?) that are operated by electrical coils to move the valves.
Since most of our stuff is 12 VDC, we most often find that sort but on things like home dishwashers or washing machines, we are more likely to find they use other voltages, so we need to look at each solenoid to find what voltage it needs to operate.
Basic idea is that when the controls send that voltage through a coil of wire, it makes an electromagnet move the valve inside!
First we need to know the controls are sending power to the solenoid so it can work, so test that.

So to test, we can first check the power going to the coil and that is often not too hard as we find something setting in the water line going to the frig and it will often have two wires, one for in and one for the power coming out.

One test is to measure the voltage going in and at the point where it comes out. If we find voltage going in on one side, we want it to go through the coil and come out the other wire! If power goes in but doesn't come out, the coil wire is broken or "open" and no good!
But another way to test the coil is to measure for resistance from one connection to the other with the wiring off those points. An ohmmeter to measure resistance is what we need there. For this, we don't need to get too techie on how much resistance we expect because if it is going in and through the coil, it is probably okay. Continuity is what we want.

About all the testing we need is to say the coil wire is good all the way through the coil, so whichever method suits best?

But if we find power is getting to the solenoid coil and coming out, so that the coil is good, the next thing that can happen is the thing inside is stuck and not moving. If you put power on and off the solenoid, we can often hear or feel it click or jump as it moves!

There are lots of different solenoids but the idea is they often look something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Norcold-61825.../dp/B00C5TJ4QA

This is one Norcold solenoid with water in and out and the wire lugs.
https://thenorcoldguy.com/norcold-si...for-ice-maker/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solenoid.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	178165  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:27 PM   #5
Richandaddie

Thanks!

Thank you for your comprehensive reply - so much appreciated! I do have a meter that will check for voltage and resistance. Once I can locate the solenoid I'll do what you recommend with both power on and off, and see what results I get.
Old 04-01-2021, 07:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Looking for Norcold info for another question and came across this that looks very much like what you might need.
http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.co...ies-629923.pdf

Down on page 13 of the parts, it seems to show the solenoid!!
What it does not show is where it sets in the frig????
Now you know it's there and it has to be in the water line, maybe it gets easier to spot?
Good luck on the chase!
Old 04-02-2021, 03:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

The solenoid value is located on the back side of the frig. You gain access to the back via the door on the outside of your coach. The door should have two finger latches one on each side on the top. Once you have gained access to the rear of the the frig. the value should be located about eye level almost dead center (left to right) on the frig.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Good info, Be Happy! Thanks for popping in with that info. The exploded drawings show the solenoid but they are so exploded that you can't guess where it goes back!
These questions are often like a good mystery and it takes a few clues from different sources to tie down the answers!
Old 04-04-2021, 06:50 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Sometimes my in-frig water spout stops working because the water tubes supplying it are frozen. There are not adequate heaters on that water line, I guess. My first thought for your issue is that maybe your ice maker supply water line froze, since it worked for a few days, then quit.

Maybe try warming up the fridge, and see if the ice maker starts working again?
Old 04-04-2021, 11:49 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Several points of failure.

1st, is there water in the freezing tray?
If not, solenoid, water line, or supply could be the problem. check each, first inside the freezer where the water is supposed to drain into the freezing tray (could be frozen up) (next at the top of the outside back of the fridge where the waterline enters the unit, any leaks, will run down if so) (do you have water flow to the solenoid?, perhaps the valve to that line is shut off)
(you can pour in about 1/4 cup manually to see if it kicks that out as ice cubes)

2nd, the temp in freezer needs to drop to at least 12 degrees to start the eject process.
If too warm, it just won't eject cubes.

Since you had ice before, I am thinking you either inadvertently shut off the water supply to the refer, froze up the spigot to the ice tray, or it isn't cold enough.

I have seen them all at one time or another.
Old 04-05-2021, 03:01 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

This may help some. This is a pic looking into the compartment where the back of the fridge is located and shows the ice-maker valve. Here, blue is the solenoid, orange is the electric supply, green is the water in and red is the water out line.
Good luck and let us know what you find out as it helps all of help each other in the future.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201126_093223_LI.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	424.7 KB
ID:	178239  
Old 04-10-2021, 08:17 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbam View Post
First off sorry if this is in an older thread but I am new to this blog and a new owner of a Winnebago. We have a 2015 Itasca Sunova and just spent a long weekend on a shakedown trip to make sure everything worked. Everything has been fine except suddenly our ice maker stopped making ice. The fridge and the freezer are working fine, water supply and electric on shore power OK, the ice maker bar is in the down position but nothing is happening. We had ice for the first 2 days but now it has stopped completely. Our Fridge is a Norelco 1211IM. I read that this could be an issue with the solenoid or just the whole ice maker might need replacing. Is the solenoid part of the main assembly or something separate that I could access? Looking for some troubleshooting tips here.
Under sink water filter may be the cause. The filter in our rig 3M model A, I removed and reinstalled and we started to get ice again. By the way, this filter is NLA
Raycher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:07 PM   #13
Richandaddie

Thank you all for these great replies! I will be getting our coach out of the storage compound next week and will use all your faultfinding tips to see if I can get to the route of the problem.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:16 PM   #14
Richandaddie

Moving on!

OK all my new found techie friends, I tested everything out per your recommendations, and finally established that the ice maker is dead as a dodo. So based on an earlier thread there was a suggestion that if you go to Lowes you can pick up a generic replacement for around $50.00. Did this and got the kit that includes everything you need including a spare solenoid valve. Now my dilemma is how to connect the wire loom. The replacement has a fixed connection to the ice maker and at the other end a plug in. My existing loom also has a plug in connector that mounted directly to the old ice maker so they are totally incompatible. My existing connector has four wires (black, white, brown and green), and the new connector also has four wires (blue, black, yellow, green/yellow). I was thinking to remove both connectors and splice the wires together but I have no idea how to connect. Also there is a white block on the black wire of my existing loom that I think might be some kind of thermostat device that clips into the back of the ice maker? Really flying blind here so would appreciate some feedback! I've attached some pics.The first one is the end of the new cable, the second is the existing cable and the third is the white block.
Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	044429AC-6D03-4E51-BAE3-D6ABBE8F2503_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	178398   Click image for larger version

Name:	C17B3CA9-BB1A-4AC7-AA9B-0E16BF6F1C57_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	178399