Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-17-2022, 09:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

norcold fridge wont use shore power

hi. my fridge (RV 6 cu.ft)will not work on shore power but does fine on propane. Is there somethings I can check before I take it to have a professional look at it?
It is in a 2000.Winnebago chalet class c

thank you in advance for any help

Beth
Old 02-17-2022, 11:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

What do you mean by "will not work"? Won't cool at all, or doesn't cool enough, etc?
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 11:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

When on shore power,and I turn on the rfidge, it will run through the choices of gas or electric never selects electric. so it is never connected or something. Not sure if that is a good discrtiption or not.
Old 02-17-2022, 11:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

It's a good description. I see from your profile you have a 2001 Chalet 24.

I'm assuming it won't let you manually select electric. If it does and only the automatic selection fails, then it's possibly a control board issue. If you ID the specific model, there should be some online troubleshooting procedures.

If both manual and automatic selections fail:

1. Check the circuit breaker. Note that they're not always visually tripped so turn it all the way off and then on.

2. If that doesn't fix it, it's possible the outlet serving your refrigerator is "downstream" from an outlet with a Ground Fault Interrupter or GCFI. Find your GCFI outlets and make sure they're not tripped.

3. If it's not a circuit breaker or GCFI, find the outlet box, which is probably located behind an access panel under your fridge, and plug something else into it (test both outlets). If the "something else" works, something's likely to be amiss with your power cord or with it's connection to the refrigerator. If the "something else" doesn't work, it could be a bad breaker or you haven't yet found the right GCFI or the outlet itself could be faulty.

If none of the above works, it's going to take some sleuthing with a multimeter, which may or may not be in your skill set.

Note that the diagnostic steps I outlined above assume you either don't have and/or don't know how to use a multimeter. If you do, you need to test for power all along the path.

Keep in mind that wiring itself seldom goes bad, when problems occur, it's usually at a connection, outlet, etc.

If you're comfortable reading wiring diagrams, they're available here:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 01:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Bob,
thank you so much this is a huge help. I will start this new adventure in refrigeration.Thanks again. you were very helpful
Old 02-23-2022, 08:08 PM   #6
2004 Minnie 29B

Usually, the fridge is plugged into its own outlet at the back of fridge. Open up the outside cover and check to see if plugged in. Also check to see if there is power at this outlet. Without a voltmeter, just plug a light into it and see if can turn on. Check the fridge's power cord and see if ok, rat/mouse could have chewed through cord (have had this happen). Could also possibly be that heater cartridge has failed.
RV Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 07:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

thank you

thank you for the infomation.
Old 02-24-2022, 08:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

There is a fuse on the circuit board on the back side of the fridge. Remove the outside vent cover and the circuit panel cover and the 5 amp fuse is in there. I just went through this with mine (2007 Itasca). Fuse looked good so make sure you check it with a multimeter.

https://thecampingadvisor.com/troubl...or-not-cooling
Old 02-24-2022, 08:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

My money is on the little glass 5 amp fuse. I spent all day troubleshooting when that was the culprit.
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 02:21 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

thanks again everyone. Just brought the RV out of storage. If it would stop snowing I'd start this project.

Tags
fridge, norcold, power, shore power