Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2018, 04:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Norcold fridge and Atwood water heater not functioning correctl h.

My 2016 Winnebago Vista LX, Floorplan 35F has a disturbing concern with fridge and water heater. On shore power, either 30 or 50 amp, all is golden. Water heater puts out very hot water and fridge chills and freezes properly. When I unhook, fridge burner can be heard to light, then l head down the road, after several hours driving, the fridge warms up and water heater, turned off and beginning with cold water, heats the water to quite, scalding, hot. I know it sound crazy, but its a real concern. Before we left Ontario 2 weeks ago , I, while city water was hooked up and water heater turned off, ran the hot water taps until all hot water was voided and temp 58° f, fridge was 38° f. When we arrived at Fort AP Hill VA that afternoon, prior to hooking up, I checked the fridge and found it was 50° f and condensation forming on beverage cans. Checked hot water 175° f. Camping World, so far has no resolution.

Fridge Norcold, 4 door , model 1211IM,

Water heater is Atwood GCH6A-10E.
If anyone has any kind of idea or advice, I would sincerely appreciate it. I'm going back to CW Thursday when their Master Tech is back.
Thank you in advance Clark Craven
Cravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Water Heater

Sorry to hear of your troubles.
First thing I would check is the owner's manual about the hot water. Our rig (2004 Vectra) has a feature where the engine coolant heats the water while driving. So - even with the water heater off, we arrive with hot water. This is a "feature" and not a bug :-)
If you check your owners manual it should have some information. It's the only thing that I can think of the explains your situation.

For the refrigerator - it sounds like it isn't operating on gas for some reason or at least it starts but then shuts off. I'd try running the fridge on gas when stopped and observe to see if it manages to stay 'lit'. One possibility (and just one) is that the thermocouple is bad. The thermocouple sits in the flame and keeps the gas valve open so long as there is flame. (You wouldn't want the gas to run if it wasn't being burned). The thermocouples are relatively inexpensive and very easy to replace. Again, just the first thing that comes to mind.

It would be helpful if we had more information or specifics about the refrigerator i.e. does it work but stop if not driving, or does it work fine while stopped and only quits once you drive?

I'm not sure if I was able to help - but I'll bet the hot water situation is what I described above

John
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Your Vista LX has a hot water heater with "MotorAid" where engine coolant loops thru a heat exchanger in the hot water heater. I added a temp monitor on my hot water tank and the hottest MotorAid ever heated the hot water in my tank to was 144 F after a long day of hot weather driving. MotorAid will heat the hot water in your hot water tank even if is turned off on your OnePlace control panel.

When hot water is on at the OnePlace control panel there is a sensor tied to the hot water heater control board that should shut off the heating when water in the tank is about 140 F. It sounds iike this sensor may not be right on the tank wall anymore, or the sensor or control board has failed.

Even 140F is scalding hot but this is "standard" for many RVs and even homes without mixing valves to lower hot water temp.

It is technically possible to install a residential style mixing valve at the hot water heater outlet that can mix hot and cold water and delver a safer temperature such as 105-110 F while still having hot water stored in the tank at 140 F so you don't run out of hot water. Winnebago does not use hot water mixing valves or faucets / shower sprays with anti scald fdeatures on Vistas.. So if you want it you'll have to add it yourself.

- - - - -

If the propane burner system in your refrigerator is not properly operating and the flame and flame sensor properly adjusted, then the flame can blow out going down the road, and can not re-light reliably. If it does not relight after 3 tries, then it will lock out and you will have a Fault indication on your refrigerator, that requires you to power down and power back up the refrigerator from its control panel to clear the lockout so it will resume trying to light the burner.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood, fridge, heat, heater, norcold, water, water heater