Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-03-2022, 07:30 PM   #41
Winnebago Camper

Good info, no wonder I can’t find one. I’ll check it out, many thanks.
Old 07-03-2022, 07:52 PM   #42
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lgdterrier View Post
The odd thing is last year on way home, final trip both area’s cooled wonderfully. So I thought ahhhaaa fixed, not so this year.
By any chance were you on LPG on the way home and 120V AC shore power the rest of the time? In addition to something being wrong with your 120V heating system, LPG is generally acknowledged as doing a better job of cooling.
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 08:09 PM   #43
Winnebago Owner

For what its worth; on my previous RV we experienced 105 degrees average daytime high temperature for over a month. The Norcold kept the ice cream solid and the refrigerator temperature remained under 40 degrees. I had enough room to install an 8-inch 120 volt AC desk fan at the base of the chimney, which moved a major blast of air past the coils.
Not having that much room in my current RV's chimney, I added a 6-inch 12 volt computer-style fan and a thermostat at the base. The freezer remained at 4 degrees and the refrigerator was at 38 degrees with an ambient of 88 degrees.
More air flow is a good thing.
NormD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:41 PM   #44
Winnebago Camper

Thank you while camping I was on shore power 110V and on way home frigerator was on 12V power. Was working perfectly freezer and refrigerator.
Old 07-04-2022, 12:29 AM   #45
Winnebago Owner

The helpers have been busy while I was away

A comment about the thermistor - I have checked it and it is fine. I have also run the system with it unplugged which is the same as getting a signal to keep cooling, no change. The last test was done by connecting the 120vac directly to the heating coil, which bypasses the thermistor and the control board entirely. So it's not a problem with either of those things.

"1. Pour some water down the the drain at the rear of the refrigerator section until you see water coming out of the drain hose on the exterior. These refer drains, like household drains, have "P" traps in them. If your rig has sat a while it's likely that the water sitting in the trap has evaporated and warm outside air is entering your fridge..."

That's something I had not considered or even thought about. It's been sitting quite some time so I'm sure any water in the P trap is gone.

I'll get back to the fridge a bit later. I know I can freeze things

Thanks greatly for the suggestions and pointers!
Old 07-04-2022, 07:20 AM   #46
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryLS View Post
"1. Pour some water down the the drain at the rear of the refrigerator section until you see water coming out of the drain hose on the exterior. These refer drains, like household drains, have "P" traps in them. If your rig has sat a while it's likely that the water sitting in the trap has evaporated and warm outside air is entering your fridge..."
I'm skeptical. My MH is in outside storage in the CA sun for months at a time and I've never had this problem. On the other hand, you have nothing to lose.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:20 AM   #47
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I'm skeptical. My MH is in outside storage in the CA sun for months at a time and I've never had this problem. On the other hand, you have nothing to lose.

I was gonna leave this alone because there are different modes of refrigerators, but I agree with you. The only drain I have is off the fins from defrosting. The way I understood it is it flows into a tray in the back and one of the fans just blows away what does not evaporate.

But the point that air could be lost through that very small tube could be valid, but I doubt it is measurable difference. If OP wanted to do anything it would be simply enough to plug or cover the drain to verify no difference.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:36 AM   #48
Winnebago Master

I think you'll find that the tray connects to a drain hose. Here's a video from a 2008 Itasca. Note that there's no P trap:

Old 07-04-2022, 12:06 PM   #49
1996 Itasca 29Q

I was concerned about my fridge last year during the heat dome but with the ARP system installed the freezer is cold and the fridge is as well! Have a look at https://www.arprv.com/ The ARP system has fans in the chimney and fans in the fridge!
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 03:25 PM   #50
Winnebago Owner

"I'm skeptical."

I've looked, and looked in both the installation and service manual and no drain is present in my model.

As noted, next I will clean the flue (it's supposed to get a yearly cleaning anyway) and check the seals in the backside, then if that doesn't provide the result I need I'll add a cooling fan to put more air through the condenser. Also I'll test on propane to see if it really makes any difference.

If that doesn't satisfy me then I'll convert to a compressor operation. I may take that route eventually anyway as the AC power required would go from 300 to 100 - 120 watts while running. Quite a difference if one is operating off of solar.
Old 07-04-2022, 10:11 PM   #51
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryLS View Post
"I'm skeptical."

I've looked, and looked in both the installation and service manual and no drain is present in my model.
Look at exploded parts list and find a drip cup (drain tray). It may not show the drain hose or the drain hole in Fridge but the defrost has to go somewhere. It does not drain outside to ground but into a drip tray that will evaporate or be blown away by fan or wind.

Regardless that ain't your problem and there is no P trap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drain.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	183450  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:29 PM   #52
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Look at exploded parts list and find a drip cup (drain tray). It may not show the drain hose or the drain hole in Fridge but the defrost has to go somewhere. It does not drain outside to ground but into a drip tray that will evaporate or be blown away by fan or wind.

Regardless that ain't your problem and there is no P trap.
You are right. I missed it because the operating manual tells you to remove the interior drain tray and empty it. No mention of a drain connection to it. In fact you cannot remove it since the hose is attached to it, just not visibly until you try to pull it out like I just did. I saw the hose in the back but forgot about it. I'm going to chalk up that memory issue to youth

And yes, it doesn't have a P trap nor is it large enough to cause a cooling issue.

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2022, 02:29 PM   #53
Winnebago Camper

Another possibility.

We had the same issue with our Norcold for a long time, just dealt with it. Finally the cooling unit crapped out, and our RV shop was going to replace the cooling unit. when they opened up the back, they found it had been replaced once and not properly sealed to stop air from getting in around the back, and had lots of mold where condensation had occurred. We put in a brand new 4 door Norcold and it worked great. Possibly yours has had a unit replaced and has the same issue. We had everything on our old one checked twice by knowledgeable rv techs and all was working perfectly.
rebrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:39 PM   #54
Winnebago Owner

I'm going to check the back seal and fit when I remove the unit to clean the flue. Thanks for the headsup on your issue rebrobin.

Tags
norcold, refrigerator