Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Norcold 3way Refrigerator user error

I'm new to the RV world and I'm sure my husband and I are causing the problem.. The RV is connected to a power cord. I had the freezer working. The refrigerator took all night but My husband said it was cold this morning.. Now I have nothing the frig is warming up and I don't have lights across the top where you select auto. My husband said he turn off the AUX last night before bed. Any thoughts? I'm sure we are doing something wrong..
SarahAnders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Welcome Sarah to irv2.
You need 12 volts connected to refrigerator comes from batteries or converter and you should have your sure power cable plugged into a house 110 outlet so your converter is on and its charging your house batteries. If your house batteries loose their charge you will have no lights in coach either.
Once you have that put the fridge in the AUTO mode so if you loose electric the fridge will transfer to LP gas operation.
The fridge will take a good 12 hours to cool down and freezer will get cold first.
If you can tell us model of fridge it would help.
By AUX do you mean your battery cut off switch, that would cut off 12v power for control board for your fridge.
Will take a guess and give you this link. Its a 1200 model but operations are similar.
Let us know how you are making out we'll walk you through it.
Congrats on your new motor home.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

It's not new but new to us.. The Norcold is 683 I have the manuel. I think honestly that we don't have enough power between the battery and 110.. A repair service explained that running the TV and AC (last night) would pull from the Frig and drain the battery.. Which would mean we were almost out of power when my husband turned of the AUX last night..

Say the battery was dead but hook to 110 would it compete with the frig. Everyone seems to be sure that the setting board not being on is a DC problem..

This is all a big guess.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I'd take another look at what you're doing with the "AUX" you refer to. As mentioned, if you're talking about the AUX cutoff switch, that will kill ALL DC in the coach and cause your problem. The labeling on these switches can be really confusing... ie: if the cutoff switch is 'on' the batteries are still conncected... NOT cutoff.

And, congratulations on your new (to you) coach!!!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

You'll also be able to get better, faster help if you post the make, model and year of your coach in your signature.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 07-12-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

If your house battery was dead and you have your shore power cord plug in to 110 outlet the converter would supply the 12v for the fridge to work. You had it working so no problem with the control board.
A AC, TV on its a wonder you were not popping the 110 circuit breaker. The AC needs its own 20 amp circuit to work or you may cause a problem with that working properly.
I would keep the power cord plugged into 110 and just try to get fridge working first.
Your Generator needs the same 12v from battery to start also.
If your husband has a 12v battery charger, if battery isn't that old it may be rechargeable.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

You have to put the proper controls on the controls on face of fridge.

DC SWITCH OFF
AUTO GAS ON
ELECTRIC ON
You want to force fridge into GAS mode. In back of fridge outside in vent opening,
make sure gas nob is turned on.
If you set up correctly fridge will start. If gas goes off the electric heater elements will continue to cool fridge.
You need the shore power cord plug in for what ever you do and a AUX battery switch on and left on.
It will take 12 hours for fridge to be fully cooled.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

One other thought: RV refridgerators are sensitive to how level the coach is so make sure you're not sitting at some bad angle.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 07-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Rick good point, she said she had it going so hopefully its ok. Its setting up the controls and a dead 12v battery because the third mode DC MODE switch was left on and battery went dead so therefor no battery for fridge control board.

Sarah just some information once the refridge is operating at home or campground when its time to travel you would now operate the DC switch and fridge would now operate in third mode. The DC switch when operated will override the AUTO gas mode or AUTO electric mode. Your refridge will be operating on 12v DC and will get its power from battery if you stop for lunch and while traveling both your fridge and DC mode & battery will be getting 12v from the engine alternator.
NEVER TAKE OFF AUTO MODE. When you arrive at campground you shout off the DC mode and AUTO takes over and runs fridge on gas or 110 when you hook your power cord into campground pedestal.
So you can see how important that 12v battery is, you may have two 6v's or two 12v batteries, that will have to be fully charged so you have a fail safe system.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Wow you all are amazing.. We've got a charge on the battery. Hopefully the Frig will be cold in the morning.. I'm certain you all are right about the battery.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:47 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Good morning Sarah , hopefully we have a cool refrigerator this morning.
The fridge has been operating on 110 volts in the AC ELEC mode displayed on your fridge panel.
The AC mode takes precedent over the gas mode when plugged into electricity.
Didn't want to confuse the issue yesterday by giving this information to you.
What we will do today is pull the electric plug out of the outlet and your refrigerator being in the AUTO mode will switch over to the GAS mode.
If your 12v battery has been charged enough it should do this for us, move from electric to gas. IF the battery didn't charge enough over night it may not switch over for us.
The 12v has to operate the control board your display panel in front of you and any lights you may have on in coach. Lets keep our fingers X.
The DC button will never be on unless you are traveling its a poorly efficient mode for operation of your refrigerator, the DC heating element is small and will only maintain your fridge temps 4-6 hours while traveling. Its very important that after traveling for day you shut of DC mode so the AUTO function can now operate your fridge.
The AUTO gas function may not operate immediately because we may have air in gas line that will have to be cleared it may go to red X on your display panel you will than reset to start again. If you look at page #14 in your operation manual 3-way operation and read you will see what I'm talking about.
I hope this works for once just so we know your gas operation of fridge is working correctly and a dealer can not say it isn't and bill you for extra work thats not necessary. Maybe you won't need a dealer after all this.
If it works and we have enough 12v's we can than plug back in your electric cord and keep the fridge working until you can get your 12v house batteries fully charged.
Here is some information about the 12 Volt side of Life its good reading and will give you the information on how things function in your motor home.

Maybe you need to print all this info for future use it may help when not connected to irv2.