Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-11-2007, 04:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have the 4 door Norcold 1200 Fridge in my '04 Horizon. We have the 40AD so the fridge is located in the passenger slide with the lower and upper vents on the side wall.
I bought the coach 2 years old and have had it almost 2 years now. We almost never use the propane for the fridge, just when driving and we have only done 7000 miles ourselves. When I first got the coach I installed 2 5" muffin fans behind the top vent and controlled them with the 2 factory installed fans thru a relay and seperate wiring.
A little while back on the Winne Yahoo forum I read about the fridge scorching the side wall luan paneling at the top on the right hand side by the top of the flue. When I checked mine I had the same problem and I just don't know if it was there when I installed the fans. After sending Winne pictures they were very good about arranging to have it modified at a local dealer within a couple of days. They installed a false panel of metal about 1/2" from the wall itself. Of course I will keep an eye on this when I drive it again in December.
I should have posted this sooner, sorry I didn't do it. Seems the problem is mainly in earlier models where the flue is too close to the side wall. I'm hoping that my fans will help with the problem but it will be almost impossible to tell however I do know they help to keep the fridge working better.
If you have a similar setup get up there and check it out.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have the 4 door Norcold 1200 Fridge in my '04 Horizon. We have the 40AD so the fridge is located in the passenger slide with the lower and upper vents on the side wall.
I bought the coach 2 years old and have had it almost 2 years now. We almost never use the propane for the fridge, just when driving and we have only done 7000 miles ourselves. When I first got the coach I installed 2 5" muffin fans behind the top vent and controlled them with the 2 factory installed fans thru a relay and seperate wiring.
A little while back on the Winne Yahoo forum I read about the fridge scorching the side wall luan paneling at the top on the right hand side by the top of the flue. When I checked mine I had the same problem and I just don't know if it was there when I installed the fans. After sending Winne pictures they were very good about arranging to have it modified at a local dealer within a couple of days. They installed a false panel of metal about 1/2" from the wall itself. Of course I will keep an eye on this when I drive it again in December.
I should have posted this sooner, sorry I didn't do it. Seems the problem is mainly in earlier models where the flue is too close to the side wall. I'm hoping that my fans will help with the problem but it will be almost impossible to tell however I do know they help to keep the fridge working better.
If you have a similar setup get up there and check it out.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
KIX
Winnebago Master

Lindsay, We have the same refer but a roof vent rather than the upper side vent. bottom vents the same. I would like to have a god description of where and how you tied in the wiring, relay and fans as I would like to install this setup in ours too. Any assistance you can offer will be appreciated. If you would prefer you can send direct to me at [email protected] Thanks very much KIX
Old 10-12-2007, 03:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

There is a good explanation of the scorching problem in the Freightliner Owners Club site with pictures of the before and after fix. Good post. I did not have the problem but fabricated a heat shield myself just to be safe.

Pete
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

To install extra fans which were not constantly on I used the existing temperature switch for the current 2 fans. This switch is at the top of the coil assembly on the right hand side as you look from the outside or the flue side. I took a wire from the switched side of the temperature switch and connected it to the coil or control circuit of a standard 12 volt auto relay. The other side of the coil on the relay is connected to ground. This gives you a seperate switch and then you can introduce a 12 volt supply to the normally open contacts. This supply can come from the input to the fridge. The other side of the normally open contacts are then wired thru the new fans you install to ground.

When the temperature switch closes to activate the original fans it will also close the relay which will then activate the fans you have installed. From everything I read it is best to place fans at the top to pull air thru not at the bottom pushing air up. I purchased 2 12 volt 5 1/4" computer fans online,much cheaper than Radio Shack.

Hope this is what you wanted,if you have any more questions please ask.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Heres some pics of the rear of 1200:
FANS 1200
Gary installed fans at top of roof vent opening he found that the weather will destroy them eventually. So he installed one in the lower vent opening blowing up thru chamber.
Lindsay's fans are protected because his upper vent in in sidewall of slide.
Moveup half way to see pics.
As you can see the fans are midway in the back of refer. The thermal switch maybe near top coils so you can access after removing vent cover. Others have installed where Gary did just keep away from gas burner tube.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
KIX
Winnebago Master

Likndsay, thanks very much. sounds pretty simple to get done.