Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-23-2012, 06:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Norcold 1200 4 door fridge replacement.

I need to replace the Norcold 1200 Fridge in my 2004 Journey. I have asked questions about removing the large window and got good replies.

My question NOW....With the 4 doors removed, will it go through the front door? Has anyone actually done this? Looks like it would be easier if possible. All I would have to do then would be removing the 4 bolts that hold down the passenger seat. This would give a lot of working room.

Thanks, Jim

1998 Jeep Cherokee
jgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:09 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I believe you need about 24"-25" with the Norcold doors removed.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I had the 1200 replaced in my 2005 Suncruiser. It easily went through the door with the doors removed.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgore View Post
I need to replace the Norcold 1200 Fridge in my 2004 Journey. I have asked questions about removing the large window and got good replies.

My question NOW....With the 4 doors removed, will it go through the front door? Has anyone actually done this? Looks like it would be easier if possible. All I would have to do then would be removing the 4 bolts that hold down the passenger seat. This would give a lot of working room.

Thanks, Jim
I removed the doors on the Norcold 1200 and unbolted the passenger seat. Also removed the screen door to give a little more spare room. This was on a 2010 Winnabago Journey 34Y. Clearance was OK but need to be careful not to scratch trim on MH. Love the change to residential frig.
Good Luck,
Ken & Judy
kdmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Went out the door of our Vectra no problem. The Samsung going back in was a different story. Went in through a side window on the passenger side.

There is a pin in the door stop or whatever you call the thing that prevents it from opening to far, that you can pull out to open it farther. Be careful it doesn't smash into the mirror.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Jim - If you're just going to junk the 1200, I would suggest you remove the cooling unit after you get the frig out of the wall. Will only take about a half hour. That will make it even easier to go through the door and also sheds a lot of weight (~80lbs?)

The service manual has directions for removing the cooling unit. If you don't have a copy, you can download it HERE.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Hey Jim, I just completed my Samsung install and did the following:
1) slid my passenger seat back out of the way as most did
2) built a 2"x2" frame to mirror the external dimensions of the Samsung, less doors.
3) after experimenting with the 2x2 frame, I realized the driver's seat would need to be slid back out of the way as well
4) did the usual furniture dolly adjustment that is listed in most posts on the Samsung installs

General comments: I was somewhat surprised that in all the posts I read about the conversion, I don't recall anyone mentioning the driver's seat. For my coach (HR Scepter) I couldn't see it any other way in that the person on the inside, holding the top of the Samsung, would not have anywhere to conveniently stand. No big deal moving the seat back out of the way. Also, my door opening was 25 1/4" (clearing the door "peg" that sticks out into the opening. I put a piece of water hose over it to keep from scratching & gouging). At a certain point, my overhead TV and wooden console got in the way thus requiring a slight angling of the Samsung. Took just the right nudge and umph, on the part of my stout son-in-law, from the bottom side to get it up on the top step. My 2 cents.
Bryan
Jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
PDI

what mode Samsung did you use to replace the 4 foor? and why did you replace it in the first place. I just did my 2nd recall on th 4 door. I never got the word of a recall on a recall. But it quit and the red light came on fron the first recall and off to the shop it went for the 2nd recall.
PDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:57 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

PDI, I installed the RF197 because it appeared to be the closest fit to the NotCold 1200. My NotCold did not cool properly and after a new cooling unit, new thermister, additional fan in the chimney, etc.....not to mention the recalls, potential fire hazard and constant worrying about whether the stuff in the fridge would stay cold enough.....it was time for a change.
Jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all the replies. The Norcold 1200(with the doors removed) went through the front door with ease. I did remove the front passenger seat. Also pulled the pin from the door stop. This allowed the door swing all the way to the mirror which I had padded to protect the door glass. On my 34H, the servicemen wanted the read dinette seat remove to give more working room. Looks like it did make it easier to maneuver. 3 men with me supervising, just a little over an hour. Old one out, new one in and hooked up.

Myers RV Mobile Service, Knoxville, TN. (865) 567-0649 did the work.

1998 Jeep Cherokee
Old 07-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgore View Post
Thanks to all the replies. The Norcold 1200(with the doors removed) went through the front door with ease. I did remove the front passenger seat. Also pulled the pin from the door stop. This allowed the door swing all the way to the mirror which I had padded to protect the door glass. On my 34H, the servicemen wanted the read dinette seat remove to give more working room. Looks like it did make it easier to maneuver. 3 men with me supervising, just a little over an hour. Old one out, new one in and hooked up.

Myers RV Mobile Service, Knoxville, TN. (865) 567-0649 did the work.
What did you replace the Norcold with? Did you switch to a residential fridge?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

No.....I went back with a Norcold 1210. We do a lot of dry camping and do not have the battery capacity to operate a res. fridge.

1998 Jeep Cherokee

Tags
door, fridge, norcold, replacement