Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-31-2020, 09:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Noisy - LOUD - heater fan

I have a 2003 Itasca Horizon 34HD. The heater fan is so strong it actually wakes me up! Would any of you had the same concern? I know that it's working properly but it's so annoying. I've had many other RV's and trailers but nothing like this hurricane and noise from the fan/force. I'd appreciate hearing about your concerns or solutions to this issue .

Thanks,
Bart
Blkbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Loud unfortunately is normal. I've gone to using an electric radiator style heater that can be set to draw about 800 watts. I'm comfortable with that wattage on the RV electrical system. Totally quiet at night.

It looks something like this model.

https://www.amazon.com/Radiator-Heat...668492&sr=8-16
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Heater issues

Goodspike,
I was kicking around that option, thanks for the advice!
Bart
Old 03-31-2020, 09:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I've moved to electric heat as much as possible as it is cheaper at campgrounds where we do not pay separate for electrical use as well as far quieter.
To avoid the problem of the poor temp regulation of most electric heater thermostats, I have adapted a digital house thermostat to control the heat as it has two advantages. Advantage is that it tracks much closer, is portable and I can run it on the normal 1500 watts, using a stand alone 15 amp circuit. the high setting 1500 watt at 120 volts is 12.5 amp which gives me enough "slack" to feel okay. Lots of choices on what heater to pair it to.
The house thermostat is often thought of as being 24 volt but there are many which use batteries for the thermostat operation and they are then simply a switch where we can control the 110 AC for the heater.
Another, simpler option for the control is here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nashone-Wir...8430%7Ciid%3A1
I have not been able to get one at this point as supply is disrupted but I really like the ease of the idea. Value? Unknown!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I've moved to electric heat as much as possible as it is cheaper at campgrounds where we do not pay separate for electrical use as well as far quieter.
I'm not sure it would be enough heat during the day, or starting from a cold temperature. I've not really tried it as such. I'm just trying to keep the unit from getting too cold at night without the fan noise waking me up.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Heater fan 120V vs 12V

Goodspike,
I'm in a RV park right now and hooked up to 50A, while dry camping is there an alternative 12V fan motor to circulate the heated air? Can't quite recall but it seems it wasn't as loud?
Bart
Old 04-07-2020, 11:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I don't know--I'll have to see next time out--which may be a while!
Old 04-08-2020, 08:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I like a little white noise while I sleep but putting the heater/ac unit right in the bedroom would not have been my design choice. When its cold and that heat kicks on it wakes me up every time. If I am at a campground I just plug in a little electric heater two stage 750 or 1500 watt. Its plenty to keep the bedroom warm.

In the summer I just leave the fan on and let it run all night. I can take a constant noise but going from dead quite to a 747 landing in the bedroom I can't take. Might be my only complaint about this rig.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We use a similar heating system. Electric space heater, but we leave the fan on all the time. That circulates the heat and the fan is just white noise to filter out outside noise.
The fan is actually running right now and we haven't traveled since last September. It also keeps the coach fresh.

dick
Old 04-13-2020, 06:42 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Loud fan

On a recent trip we experienced an issue with our heater fan running rather loud, When I got home and had a chance to look at it I found was some mud daubers decided to build a nest on one of the squirrel cages. Cleaned it up and the fan went back to its normal sound.
pmikolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmikolon View Post
On a recent trip we experienced an issue with our heater fan running rather loud, When I got home and had a chance to look at it I found was some mud daubers decided to build a nest on one of the squirrel cages. Cleaned it up and the fan went back to its normal sound.
On an older unit it could just be dust. On my bathroom fan at home I recently needed to clean it up.

Tags
fan, heat, heater