Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2022, 03:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

No roof AC on gen power

have a 2014 itasca ellipse 42qd. AC wont run when not pluged in to power, I start Gen when not hooked up to power and AC wont start up? any suggestions, maybe something with inverters settings?
shane4golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 07:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Am I correct in thinging most of the AC items like microwane, outlets, and tv are not working if not plugged in and on generator?

I think it will be a problem before the inverter as there is a transfer switch which should choose power from the cord or the generator and it is about the first thing after the cords from each.

This is a snip of the drawing of your transfer switch with some markup.
Click this to get a better view.

If I am understanding correctly, the power when plugged in comes in as the green lines, through the transfer switch and out to the load center (breaker box) But when you go to the generator the red line doesn't get passed on through?? It is a switch which connects the working power on through to the cable to the breakers but it is not doing it.

The switch might be bad but one of the more common things we hear about is the screws holding the wires get loose and heat up or melt things at times!

A look inside the switch for anything odd and to tighten those screws would be my move!
A meter and chacking the voltage comming from the generator to the switch and on out at the cable going to the breakers, might tell if it is working right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	transfer.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	184177  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 05:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

"No roof AC on gen power" generally is referring to air conditioning, at least that's my thinking
Old 09-25-2022, 06:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I had a similar problem and had to change the transfer switch. The relays were sticking. If I pushed on the relay it worked. After installing a new one problem solved. 2008 WB
Garyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 07:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Logic says the transfer or wiring from it to the genset If I am correct in guessing all the rest works on the power cord.

A burned relay or wires loose or burned seems to be the most obvious thing. Considering how much power goes through that spot, it is likely easy to spot!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

thanks everyone for your help. I will be looking into this weekend.
shane4golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 04:16 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane4golf View Post
maybe something with inverters settings?
Just as a FYI - not a fix for your current issues - unless you’ve extensively modified your RV’s electrical system from stock nothing about your A/C units has anything to do with your inverter.

PS. When writing about electrical stuff and air conditioning stuff the usual protocol is to use “AC” for electrical items and “A/C” for air conditioning to eliminate confusion.
Old 09-28-2022, 04:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

You might want to start at the first link in the chain, and make sure the breakers on the generator are turned on.

Tags
power, roof