Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2020, 12:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Newbie Refrigerator Question

The wife and I are taking out our just bought 2010 Aspect 28B this weekend for our maiden shakedown trip. I planned to level and power up the RV the night before to get the refrigerator cold before leaving. But started to wonder how you keep the refrigerator cold while traveling. I assume you aren't using Propane while moving. Do you run the generator in transit to keep the refrigerator cold? Definitely a lot to learn...
JDHarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

It's according to the time of year for me.

In the summer, I run the generator all the time while traveling. I do this primarily to keep my coach cool with the rooftop A/Cs. The fridge runs via the generator.

In the cooler months, I DON'T run the generator. In this scenario I run the fridge on propane while traveling. I do shut down the fridge and turn off the gas prior to fueling up the coach.

Many don't advise running the propane while traveling, but I've done it for 21 years now and have never had a problem.

If you cool the fridge down prior to your trip, you might find (given the length of your trip) that you don't need to run it at all.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Everytime I start the coach I start the generator. Not only does it exercise the generator it provides power to the AC and frig. The cost in fuel to run it is to small to even worry about. Its my own opinion but I do not like to travel with propane on.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

When I had my other RVs from 1999-2020 I turned on my fridge 2 days before I left home.
Filled it the day before
When I unplugged it switched to propane automatically
Drove to the CG and plugged it and it switched to electric automatically
Ran on propane to the CG as recommended.

The only time we tuned it offwas when we got fuel. As soon as I stopped at the pump, got up turned of the fridge, filled up, turned the fridge back on and left the gas station.

Did it for 20 yrs. never had a problem. I think almost everyone does it that way.
Some of my trips are 8-10 hour drives, have to keep it cool.

My new one is all electric and runs off the inverter while traveling.
Running the generator while driving just for the fridge is a waste of fuel. I would run my generator if I was driving in the desert and it was 100f and I need the AC to run. But, I never did that.
I drove in South Dakota in 95f heat with just the dash AC, it was cool enough. Once I got to the campground in Rapid City I just plugged in and turned on my AC the MH was cool in about 1/2 hour. It’s a pretty big interior space with my full slides. But with 3 good roof ACs it cools quick
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

We have moved away from the larger Rv and find it works good to just cool with the dash air and run the frig on the automatic setting and let it switch to propane when not plugged into power. Leveling to cool may be way overblown as we find it works well almost every place we have parked. But that does maen parked level enough not to slide out of the seats! We find a "flat" spot at the side of the road when we eat lunch.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

There's no particularly reason you cannot use propane while moving.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
There's no particularly reason you cannot use propane while moving.
True, the one caveat being that you should shut off the refrigerator before re-fueling.

However, running your generator would be the better choice, particularly in the summer time. Doing so will also allow you to run your house A/C while driving. If you do so, not only will you be more comfortable while driving and when you arrive at your destination since your A/C won't have to overcome a significant heat build-up.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:22 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
True, the one caveat being that you should shut off the refrigerator before re-fueling.

However, running your generator would be the better choice, particularly in the summer time. Doing so will also allow you to run your house A/C while driving. If you do so, not only will you be more comfortable while driving and when you arrive at your destination since your A/C won't have to overcome a significant heat build-up.
I would add maybe turn it off in tunnels too????

If you have to run your A/C, then sure use electric. But otherwise just running the refrigerator would be a rather inefficient use of a generator, even an inverter type. You could though maybe turn it on for an hour and off for an hour.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:23 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
When I had my other RVs from 1999-2020 I turned on my fridge 2 days before I left home.
Filled it the day before
When I unplugged it switched to propane automatically
Drove to the CG and plugged it and it switched to electric automatically
Ran on propane to the CG as recommended.
^This is how it’s done by the vast majority of folks with RV Absorption fridges.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:07 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Fridge

I usually level the RV and start my fridge on propane at least 24 hours before my departure time. Running it on propane gives a much quicker cooldown. It's always ready the night before or morning of departure.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:58 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

In motion, level is not a critical issue for an RV Absorption Refrigerator since the motion prevents the issues you can have when being stationary and off level. As mentioned just turn it off when refueling or when in Propane Restricted Tunnels and set it back to automatic afterwards.

This has been the case since "The Time of the Flood" as the expression goes.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:54 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We have been using propane for the refrigerator when on the road for over 45 years. Be sure and turn it off when fueling up around gas pumps. We do just as a matter of habit even filling diesel tanks.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:53 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHarrin View Post
The wife and I are taking out our just bought 2010 Aspect 28B this weekend for our maiden shakedown trip. I planned to level and power up the RV the night before to get the refrigerator cold before leaving. But started to wonder how you keep the refrigerator cold while traveling. I assume you aren't using Propane while moving. Do you run the generator in transit to keep the refrigerator cold? Definitely a lot to learn...
I run with the propane on...and if you do, and wish to fuel...always take the outside pump island, so that your 'fridge ventilated panel is facing out and away from other users of the pump islands,...and their pumps. You have a running open, lit flame...and that should be faced full away from any other pump, and hopefully, your gas intake side of your vehicle is on the opposite side, the door side of your R.V. or T.T. You can also just go into your R.V and/or T.T. and turn off your 'fridge for the time you are fueling...which of course extinguishes the open burner flame. Then...move away from the pumps...and click back on your 'fridge, and away you go...
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:02 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2016 Aspect 30J. I am always plugged into power since I keep a dehumidifier on at all times when RV not in use. I always turn my refrigerator on two days before leaving on a trip so I can stock it. When we unplug and leave, it automatically switches over to propane. I always double check that it switched over. We've never had a problem and have never run the generator when driving. Our Aspect uses very little propane which is fortunate. Happy travels!
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, refrigerator