Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2022, 09:30 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New Floor, No Heater Vents

My new to me 1996 Winnebago Vectra 34RQ with the Chevy P30 chassis was in the process of an update when the owner passed away. He replaced the flooring, but there is no indication of where the heater duct holes are supposed to be.

Could one of you fine folks send me some measurements (not in relation to dinette as this one has table and chairs) or lead me towards information?
DiemacoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 01:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I did a search for 96 Vectra for sale to look for photos? Not sure this is the same model, so check before trusting! Maybe a place to start the search?

https://www.smartrvguide.com/L48213184

Last pic is of different RV to verify there is a second vent in front ofcouch?

What type floor are you searching through?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vect1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	184066   Click image for larger version

Name:	vec2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	184067  

Name:	vec3.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	184068  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 03:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I'm trying to get a photo to post showing the current state, but I'm not having much luck.

I have a brochure that shows the locations in pictures, I was just hoping someone would have this same model and be able to measure to be sure.

I will start with a pilot hole then jog saw, but I'd hate to miss altogether....
Old 09-06-2022, 04:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiemacoMan View Post

I'm trying to get a photo to post showing the current state, but I'm not having much luck.

I have a brochure that shows the locations in pictures, I was just hoping someone would have this same model and be able to measure to be sure.

I will start with a pilot hole then jog saw, but I'd hate to miss altogether....
So they have laid plywood, laminate, or some solid item over the existing vents with no way to find them?

Maybe when they found what they had done, the trauma led to an early death!

What might work?
Is this a finished surface, so that test holes are not good?
As an item to try, have you considered calling Winnebago to ask for the install measurements as they do some pretty precise measurements for lots of things they have on their drawings?

I do not see anything in their online info but folks have had good luck in asking for things like where framing is in sidewalls , so maybe one might get lucky?
Old 09-06-2022, 04:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Yeah, totally finished surface. I'm sure he had a plan, it just went with him.

I'm used to buying older stuff that the manufacturer doesn't want to deal with anymore I never even considered asking. Worth a shot!
Old 09-06-2022, 04:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

For picture posting help?
Post 18 of this post will give details of holding the phone camera correct to get it right side up:
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ns-364771.html

When you have the photo on the computer, start your post, hit go advanced at bottom.

Hit paper clip at top center. Choose picture file and don't forget to hit upload. You can choose as many as needed and hit upload one time for all but do wait to make sure the upload is finished before going further.
Preview and check ?

Name:	post pic.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	184070
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pic post.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	184071  
Old 09-06-2022, 04:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Lots of good info here under owner at top and then owner resouces at left to get to drawings and all kinds of stuff even on really old.

https://www.winnebago.com/
Old 09-06-2022, 04:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for that!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20220906_091347_761.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	184072  
Old 09-06-2022, 06:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Yes,pictures tell lots in far fewer words!
So is there any chance you can feel/presson the new material and maybe it was just laid overthe old hardssurface so that it would press down if you got into the right spot----after getting some pictures or measurements to locate the general area?

So tell me more about the RV? IS that the leading edge of the slide out that I see? On the pictures I posted,I don't see the slide base stickingout in front of the couch as far. Does that mena they may have redone that base and extended it further intothe coach when closed. Do I see the corner of a tablewith regular chair in the back as a reason they may have wanted to make the base wider tofit the table?

But if it is a slide, would they put vents far back under the slide and leave them that restricted when the slide is in? On really cold trips, we usually left the slide in as it was much better to heat if it was not hanging out and exposing so much to cold.

Not that it will help to find them but just looking at what may have been done and thinking if there would be any way to spot the ducts from in a basement storage?
Old 09-06-2022, 06:55 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I second Morich's recommendation to call Winnebago support. They might be able to send you the detailed drawings with all the dimensions for the layout of the floor in your RV. I did that several times for my 2003 Sunova and they were very helpful. Not sure if they go back to 1996 but it is worth a shot.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 07:20 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

The vents are just in front of the slide when closed, this I've figured out from YouTube.

There is no way to feel for the holes though the underlay unfortunately.

The couch is normal, but the chairs I just threw in until we can find a decent dinette to put in.

I will try to get in touch with Winnebago if no one sees this post that has the same model.

Thanks again for the input.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20220906-191540392.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	184074  
Old 09-09-2022, 08:15 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

A high-quality metal detector should locate the metal ductwork where it is just below the floor covering. Something like an ice pick can be used to probe through that carpeting.too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 09:18 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

I'm not getting the full idea of what has been done.
I think this picture from post 8 is the current RV and the others are examples from the net to try to show where the OEM vents were.
So I'm seeing some form of vynyl, etc hard surface materail that we probably would not want to explore with holes.

But that brings up what and how the floor was changed. Was a new subfloor like plywood added, covering the existing vents? If so how was the added height made to fit with the slide going over it? A look at the edge around the step would help to answer that and the OP may already know.
But if even a thin layer of ply was added, does metal detecter work through the extra layer? Is the floor duct metal or is it like the ceiling ducts and just foam shaped as ducts?
Some of the wall scanning gizmos would be nice but that runs into pretty big bucks for a one time use.

https://walabot.com/
Old 09-09-2022, 09:29 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Maybe a much cheaper stud finder to return if it did not work??

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Zircon-S...5945/205143494
Old 09-09-2022, 01:30 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

1. I don't see where you've specified exactly what type of finish floor you have other than to say you can't feel through it. Most solid flooring these days is some form of click together laminate of vinyl planks, in which case, it's not too difficult to take them up and reinstall once the holes have been located. I'd be surprised if they're glue down planks.

2. In terms of a stud finder device, I think only something like the Walabot would work (I have one and it works well). They're Android only. Amazon has them for $142 with free returns. If you buy it and it doesn't work for you, you can return it in good faith since it's advertised as finding pretty much anything. $142 is cheap compared to the problem you have, plus you'll find a million uses for it at home and on your RV. This should work even if he installed a new plywood subfloor with no holes. Once you've found the holes, you still have the challenge of cutting new holes.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 09:01 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

I was thinking that the PO must have had a plan, otherwise this makes no sense at all. I wonder if he was planning on using the old sheet of vinyl as a template and is there any chance it's available.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 06:41 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

We had a 94 33' Vectra on a P30 frame. The front bay went all the way through from on side to the other (it's a tight squeeze), the second bay back on the pax side went in far enough to see the floor where the heater vents were.
It seems (if I remember correctly) that the heater duct ran down the center and fed out to the vents.
Point being if your Vectra is like mine was you should be able to see the duct work going to the vents from (crawling in and looking up) inside the front two bays.
Good luck, it's a tight squeeze.
dick
Old 09-11-2022, 08:38 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Maybe turn the heat on high, and use a temp gun to find the hottest spot in the vinyl. Actually your hand might tell you where to drill. I would risk a drill hole then...

My bare feet can trace my heat ducts in my coach!
Old 09-19-2022, 12:44 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all for the great information and suggestions. I didn't get notified that most of the posts were made, so I apologize for the late reply. I took someone's advice and phoned Winnebago and they actually emailed me detailed floor drawing, with measurements. I will also take a look underneath for vents, however I think the ductwork on mine is enclosed in a metal duct.

To reply to one of the questions, it is glue on tile with grout on a subfloor, which so far doesn't' cause any issues with the slide. Time may tell otherwise. I don't think the grout will last with the flexing that happens in a motorhome, but I guess we will see.
Old 09-19-2022, 12:46 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Likely the case. Unfortunately a lot of the motorhome stuff/parts got sold as estate by people that didn't know anything about motorhomes.

Tags
heat, heater, vent