Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2022, 12:53 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Good luck, tile is the toughest to deal with.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 02:01 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiemacoMan View Post
Likely the case. Unfortunately a lot of the motorhome stuff/parts got sold as estate by people that didn't know anything about motorhomes.
This always brings a morbid but realistic thought!
What the heck are the kids going to do with all this "valuable" stuff I've collected?

Who could possibly see value in a step that is only 8 inches high and has legs that adjust so one side is lower than the other? Only Rv folks will have any idea about that!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 11:13 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

It seems obvious to me that the previous owner had no intention of keeping the heating system. Perhaps it's been removed completely or didn't work so they just covered the heat outlets.

It would be worth the effort to go underneath and find the ductwork, if it actually still exists.
Old 09-20-2022, 05:37 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryLS View Post
It seems obvious to me that the previous owner had no intention of keeping the heating system. Perhaps it's been removed completely or didn't work so they just covered the heat outlets.

It would be worth the effort to go underneath and find the ductwork, if it actually still exists.
Well, with the climate here in Alberta, that is a scarry proposition. I know the furnace works, and the duct in the lav is cut out, so I'm willing to bet the other duct work is there. Thanks for the heads up, but if the duct work isn't there, I will need to reinstall it anyways.
DiemacoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 06:31 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

With all the small bits and pieces of info we now have, I have to fall back to this thinking.
I believe the vents are there and they are cut out in the solid underlayment!
Somebody did a lot of work and planning to get the tile planned to fit in and around as well as lay in a nice pattern. This did not happen without serious planning!

With that level of planning, I feel it would be really hard to believe they did not cut out the vents! Like spending hundreds to go hunting but fail to take the gun?

That leaves me back to thinking a trial run on one of the gizmos to sense wires, pipes and differences in the wall would be something to try.
Combined with the info from Winnebago for where they should be, I think there is a fair chance that the holes were cut and the tile laid over so that they will show up as a really obvious different in the surface when scanned.

But since this is still very much a guess, I would want to hedge my bet and get an item that would be used for other things or could be returned if it did not work for my use!

I hope you will decide to go for some plan and let us know what you find! Winter is comming and life is too short to hold too long on this type thing!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:49 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Well, with the climate here in Alberta, that is a scarry proposition. I know the furnace works, and the duct in the lav is cut out, so I'm willing to bet the other duct work is there. Thanks for the heads up, but if the duct work isn't there, I will need to reinstall it anyways.
I guess I missed the location Better move much further South.

OTOH, having redone multiple floors in both my homes, plus homes past, you always cut to fit the HVAC outlets while installing. That would be even more important if you have ceramic tile. Glue on tile is vinyl? I guess you could cut that after, but only a very ignorant person would do it that way. If it's vinyl tile covering a hole I would think you could find it by finding a soft spot in the floor.
Old 09-20-2022, 03:12 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Smile Finished

Success!!!

So, turns out it isn't super important where you cut, it's one big duct. However, using the drawings I got from Winnebago, I was able to drill directly into the middle of each of the original holes. The previous owner did subfloor and tile (vinyl) over the holes, so I used a jig saw to unskillfully hack away until the holes matched the original ones.

I oversized them a tad to make a regular house 3x10 vent fit, vs the 2 1/2 x 10 that my hardware store didn't carry.

Furnace works great as well, so that's a bonus.

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions and information. One of many projects successfully completed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220920_140949_316.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	184193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220920_140735_117.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	264.4 KB
ID:	184194  

DiemacoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 07:39 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Success!!!

So, turns out it isn't super important where you cut, it's one big duct. However, using the drawings I got from Winnebago, I was able to drill directly into the middle of each of the original holes. The previous owner did subfloor and tile (vinyl) over the holes, so I used a jig saw to unskillfully hack away until the holes matched the original ones.

I oversized them a tad to make a regular house 3x10 vent fit, vs the 2 1/2 x 10 that my hardware store didn't carry.

Furnace works great as well, so that's a bonus.

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions and information. One of many projects successfully completed.
Glad you were able to solve the problem. I had no idea the duct was one long open duct and I've never seen that before. It makes sense though, since the floor serves as one side of the enclosure. So, I guess the original installer always planned to just cut them out after. Looks good.

Tags
heat, heater, vent