Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-08-2020, 04:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

modified dometic 2652

Bought a 12v compressor kit to install in my 2652 Dometic that is just a year old, was not cooling all that well from day one.
The installation went well, by myself. What I did was to stand the frig up and place the new unit in behind then jacked it up with a pry bar to put an awl in one of the holes. Then I installed the screws in the freezer. Once that was done, I put a piece of 1/2" ply under the foot of the insert then shims until it would hold the unit level.... I took my ball point pen, and marked the back of the frig to where it lined up. I then applied the mastic to the frig section and put the fins on. The freezer section was next once that was done, I put the frig face down on the floor to put in the foam, once that was done, I stood the frig up and slide the 2 units together. I placed a ratchet strap around the frig not to tight, once everything was in place I used the awl again to align the holes put in the screws, and tightened up all the screws, then called a friend to come help to put it back in place.. Could not get it to run as the voltage coming threw the board was not enough.... Jr sent me a relay kit, put that in found that the compressor would only run for a few minutes, Found that the dometic wiring was not large enough to carry the load. Rewired the feed to #10 wire back to the panel to a spare fuse once that was done the frig fired right up., around 3.5 to 4 hours latter the unit shut down with 33 deg in the frig, and minus 10 in the freezer. I have to say folks if you are worried in any way, don't be JR is a cracker jack when it comes to these units.... The problems were not his equipment but the manufacturer of the original refer.. I have to say that the original manufacturer (Dometic) did not build my refer right as there was no mastic between the box, and the absorption unit as installed. It took me a couple of days to get it running as being 82 years old I cannot work as hard as I used to. Some of my installation problems were of my own making. I have 300 watts of solar on the roof, and I have not plugged in to shore power since Sat afternoon (4/4/20).
gwdave is offline   Reply With Quote